End the Lockdown

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Pipelines never needed Gov. assistance until the Liberal funded anti pipeline protestors began interfering

Take Trans mountain for an example, it was being built until the tides foundation got in the way when the last Billion was asked to do another study the owners said enough is enough. Forcing Trudie to buy it because no other company was going to touch the endless money pit with a ten foot pole. the $3.5 Billion project is now what a $15 Billion tax payer project with no end in sight?

Reactions: bob the dog

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm speaking hypothetically here, why not have a publicly funded news outlet on both sides of the political spectrum. The right is always crying to get rid of the CBC, why not level the playing field and give them an outlet they don't have to cry about ? You could even split CBC down the middle and have CBC Left and CBC Right ? It's stupid to think that every little backwater outlet should be in line for government funding, they're a business let them survive on their own. You'd need an outlet large enough to take on the load of being a national voice and that leaves "tiny media outlets" out of the running. A new right-leaning public outlet would have be completely funded by public funds. Being independent of pressure from shareholders is what public radio is all about, not having to be ratings whores and free to report as they will. The important thing is credibility. Lots of Conservatives criticize the CBC because of their editorial opinions, but they report the news truthfully. I'd be okay with one equally credible national outlet that leaned to the right. The key word there is credible.
The main reason we want to get rid of CBC is because it is a colossal waste of tax dollars. Basically technology has removed CBC mandate. The fact that it has a strong Toronto leftist bias only rubs salt in the wounds.
I don't believe any news organization should get taxpayer's money.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Pipelines never needed Gov. assistance until the Liberal funded anti pipeline protestors began interfering

Take Trans mountain for an example, it was being built until the tides foundation got in the way when the last Billion was asked to do another study the owners said enough is enough. Forcing Trudie to buy it because no other company was going to touch the endless money pit with a ten foot pole. the $3.5 Billion project is now what a $15 Billion tax payer project with no end in sight?
Except TransMountain is generating profits for the shareholders. Every month the existing pipe is at or above capacity and has to turn customers away. Cause oil is dead.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC

Take Trans mountain for an example, it was being built until the tides foundation got in the way...?
Tides foundation is funded by rich capitalists, and has targeted just about every effort to get Canadian oil to tidewater. Their aim is simple, ensure a continued flow of oil to US buyers at below market rates. "Liberal" protestors are unwitting pawns.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/u-s-foundations-against-the-oil-sands

Reactions: taxslave

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The main reason we want to get rid of CBC is because it is a colossal waste of tax dollars. Basically technology has removed CBC mandate. The fact that it has a strong Toronto leftist bias only rubs salt in the wounds.
I don't believe any news organization should get taxpayer's money.

I disagree. As soon as sponsors and shareholders are involved then the profit motive kicks in, "give 'em what they want to hear" and next thing you know we have a country full of sources you can't trust to give honest reporting.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Except TransMountain is generating profits for the shareholders. Every month the existing pipe is at or above capacity and has to turn customers away. Cause oil is dead.
Yes, and it will keep on generating profits. It will run at capacity until the international market softens or the shift away from fossil fuels hits Canadian producers. In the meantime it's just business. Canadian oil can fetch a better price selling direct to international customers than it can shipping it through the US. With prices for Alberta oil keeping close company with the cost to produce that oil of course the TMX will run at capacity even after completion.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
In a free market society sponsors buy radio or television time.
If the sponsor doesn't doesn't get more business from the advertising on that station he will go elsewhere.
If the sponsor is the government all you will get is propaganda considered acceptable by the directors of that station who are all political appointees!

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ever been so deep in the bush you could only get Radio Canada on shortwave?
On December 3, 2020, RCI announced that its staff was being reduced from 20 to 9 (in contrast to 200 employees in 1990)[3] and that its English and French language sections would close and be replaced by curated content from the domestic CBC and Radio-Canada services. RCI would also begin offering online services in Punjabi and Tagalog.[4] The changes go into effect on April 1, 2021

Not Now sadly. While still going out deep in the bush, now I do other things with my down time out there. Still have a dandy little crank radio though.

I used to love shows like basic black.

Reactions: petros

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
In a free market society sponsors buy radio or television time.
If the sponsor doesn't doesn't get more business from the advertising on that station he will go elsewhere.
If the sponsor is the government all you will get is propaganda considered acceptable by the directors of that station who are all political appointees!
CBC One is on in my car all the time. I don't hear anything that would qualify as propanda. Some great interview and variety shows, political commentary and news coverage that beats all the local commercial stations hands down.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I used to LOVE CBC radio 20 years ago, especially when out in the bush...but it's content has been gutted since then.
I got on to it up north where they were the only choice. Ancient histroy though, Don Herron was the morning man. They hit a high with the likes of Peter Gzowski and Vicky Gabereault, I miss those days. They still have some top notch people, Allan Maitland for one.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I got on to it up north where they were the only choice. Ancient histroy though, Don Herron was the morning man. They hit a high with the likes of Peter Gzowski and Vicky Gabereault, I miss those days. They still have some top notch people, Allan Maitland for one.
Yeah radio had class in doze days.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CBC One is on in my car all the time. I don't hear anything that would qualify as propanda. Some great interview and variety shows, political commentary and news coverage that beats all the local commercial stations hands down.
Bob McDonald. He goes off the "BELIEVE the Science" deep end.

Reactions: Danbones