Do you believe in past lives?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Speaking of Vahalla, Cliffy......and going off topic for a moment ;-), I have stipulated in my will that after cremation my ashes be put on a boat, lit afire and set sail on Canim Lake. I would have preferred a true Viking funeral but that is not legal for some silly reason. :smile:

Mind you, it will be a very tiny boat. :lol:
lol You aren't Viking-sized? They think a fire on a boat out in the middle of a lake will spread? I can imagine that might be true in the Gulf, but not Canim Lake. lol

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Using that reasoning, anyone who believes in god or mohammed or Buddha et al, also must assume the burden of proof. Proof really plays no part in this, IMHO. We believe what we do because we are entitled to do so.

of course you are entitled to believe in anything you want, and I respect your right to do so, BUT that
has nothing to do with the fact that none of those things exist.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Speaking of Vahalla, Cliffy......and going off topic for a moment ;-), I have stipulated in my will that after cremation my ashes be put on a boat, lit afire and set sail on Canim Lake. I would have preferred a true Viking funeral but that is not legal for some silly reason. :smile:

Mind you, it will be a very tiny boat. :lol:
Seems rather bizarre to me that we can be cremated in a building but we can't be cremated in a boat. With all the pollution that industry is allowed to get away with, prescribed slash fires and even camp fires, burning a body in a boat is rather insignificant. BUt ten their isn't too much logic involved in bureaucratic regulations.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Seems rather bizarre to me that we can be cremated in a building but we can't be cremated in a boat. With all the pollution that industry is allowed to get away with, prescribed slash fires and even camp fires, burning a body in a boat is rather insignificant. BUt ten their isn't too much logic involved in bureaucratic regulations.

It is bizarre, Cliffy. It is also bizarre that the ceremony has to be kept secret as it is illegal in Canada to dispose of one's ashes in such a manner. Sheesh what's a little ash going to do, I am sure it won't harm the fish.:lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It is bizarre, Cliffy. It is also bizarre that the ceremony has to be kept secret as it is illegal in Canada to dispose of one's ashes in such a manner. Sheesh what's a little ash going to do, I am sure it won't harm the fish.:lol:
It is so silly that it has to be kept secret. Everyone does it but everyone has to pretend they are not doing it. Ashes in the wind or in the water. Who would ever know!! How many times now do you see the words "no service by request"? Funerals are just way too expensive and plots are like buying the corner of a house (regarding cost). I have paid to reserve a joint plot for my husband and myself. They did not suggest to me that I could have one the size of cremains so I paid about 3 times what my cousin paid. Oh well - die and learn! lol

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
No service, no funeral at all for myself and my husband, we have picked out a beautiful mountain side
area, (with beautiful view I might add), and it will be our buriel ground, (cremation of course), and
we have invited any and all of the family who want to, to join us there for visits and chats, and when
they pass on they are welcome to spend eternity with us.

We are not interested in ceremony at all, will not pay the ridiculous prices for all of that pomp and
show, just to line someone elses pockets, and we will not pay for a plot either, just to take up room
on this earth, we will blend in and not be noticed afterward.

The records will be there for anyone to do their genealogy later on, no need for a grave to do that.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

It is so silly that it has to be kept secret. Everyone does it but everyone has to pretend they are not doing it. Ashes in the wind or in the water. Who would ever know!! How many times now do you see the words "no service by request"? Funerals are just way too expensive and plots are like buying the corner of a house (regarding cost). I have paid to reserve a joint plot for my husband and myself. They did not suggest to me that I could have one the size of cremains so I paid about 3 times what my cousin paid. Oh well - die and learn! lol
It must be a religious thing or something political.

According to Gayle E. O'Neill, Ph.d. of TEI Analytical, Inc. the chemical content of human cremated remains is

Phosphate 47.5% Sodium 1.12% Calcium 25.3% Chloride 1.00% Sulfate 11.00% Silica 0.9% Potassium 3.69% Magnesium 0.418% Plus Aluminum oxide, Iron Oxide, Zinc,Titanium Oxide, Barium, Antimony, Chromium, Copper, Manganese, Lead, Tin, and Vanadium in much smaller quantities. Beryllium and Mercury will be present in minute quantities.

Anything harmful is in extremely small quantity. Dilute them by putting them in water of free to be blown about by wind and they're even smaller.

It's just dumb. Besides, how would anyone know you aren't just emptying your Hibachi or something?

According to Gayle E. O'Neill, Ph.d. of TEI Analytical, Inc. the chemical content of human cremated remains is

Phosphate 47.5% Sodium 1.12% Calcium 25.3% Chloride 1.00% Sulfate 11.00% Silica 0.9% Potassium 3.69% Magnesium 0.418% Plus Aluminum oxide, Iron Oxide, Zinc,Titanium Oxide, Barium, Antimony, Chromium, Copper, Manganese, Lead, Tin, and Vanadium in much smaller quantities. Beryllium and Mercury will be present in minute quantities.

Anything harmful is in extremely small quantity. Dilute them by putting them in water of free to be blown about by wind and they're even smaller.

It's just dumb. Besides, how would anyone know you aren't just emptying your Hibachi or something?
Hopefully my short after life will be spent supplying nourishment to some trees or bushes or something. :D

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Hopefully my short after life will be spent supplying nourishment to some trees or bushes or something. :D

I love the idea of helping plants etc grow and become healthier, gives me something to do instead of just
lying around down there.

"Do you think people that when they die, just get reborn into another life and start life over again as another person or thing?"

No. There's no evidence for it. I won't say there's no such thing, but until there's reason to believe it, I don't believe it. I won't believe in paisley- or plaid-patterned, winged pigs for the same reason.

I guess having another life after yours is finished is a comforting thought for many, or it could be a
very scary thought, how would you like to be an afghanistan woman, or an arab woman, if I ever came back as
one of those, I would be killed in no time, as I would fight back so hard, it would be the end, maybe a
beautiful horse, or an orca, or another person like I am, as I am having a happy life.

Anyway enough of that, I don't believe in such things, as you said, never ever has there been any evidence of
it, it's just a belief of some.

What would you like to be Anna.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I love the idea of helping plants etc grow and become healthier, gives me something to do instead of just
lying around down there.
Yeah. At least be helpful to other lives in some way.

What would you like to be Anna.
I like variety, so I wouldn't be a human again, if I had a choice. I thought about a sea creature, like a porpoise or something, but judging by the crap humans spew into the oceans, I changed my mind on that. Maybe an emerald boa living in a Brazilian rainforest, preferably one that wouldn't get mowed down any time soon.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I would like to just be left out in the forest to feed the coyotes and ravens. But they won't allow that either. The ones who take me there would run the risk of arrest. I just hope I have the where with all to get myself out there.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I do not want to foot the bill for the police investigation when half your charred body washes up on shore somewhere. yeah the vikings were grand and it was a beautiful ceremony and all, but it didn't totally get rid of it, it just usually took things far enough away to not be their problem when it washed ashore.

Kathie Bondar

Kathie Bondar
May 11, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Sure I have, that was pretty much what I meant, they have no mechanism whereby they could exist. Everything else that I have ever observed could be quantified in some way i.e. measured, weighed, timed etc. God and heaven have no such qualities that I have ever seen. They seem to exist in peoples minds as imaginings to sooth themselves against a hostile world. As far as I can tell that is the only place god and heaven exist which, is also where the Easter Bunny, Santa, and the Tooth Fairy exist. I have no evidence (I know of no evidence) whatsoever that any of them are more or less real than god and heaven.

To say god is metaphysical and doesn't operate by natural means could be said also about the Easter Bunny, Santa, and the Tooth Fairy. But you don't believe in them do you? Well, I hope you don't anyway. (That is a joke) So make a list of reasons you don't believe in any of them and you'll probably have the same list as to why I know that god is a fiction too.
Ignorance can be such a bliss.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
yup I believe you do come back. Some may say it wasn't proven and oddly enough , there are strange stories out there that say other wise. It is not an important belief in my books , the life you are living now , that is what's important.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
yup I believe you do come back. Some may say it wasn't proven and oddly enough , there are strange stories out there that say other wise. It is not an important belief in my books , the life you are living now , that is what's important.
It is even mentioned in the bible but Yes! The important thing is to live in the moment.Our memories are subjective and thus untrustworthy. The past is therefore a fiction. The future is unknown therefore a fiction. The present is all we have. Enjoy the ride while you can. Tomorrow may be your last.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It is even mentioned in the bible but Yes! The important thing is to live in the moment.Our memories are subjective and thus untrustworthy. The past is therefore a fiction. The future is unknown therefore a fiction. The present is all we have. Enjoy the ride while you can. Tomorrow may be your last.

I don't understand your 'fiction' explanation, memories are vivid for the most part, in a brain that is
functioning well, and not a person who makes up stories of the past, but a person who remembers accurately,
and I think that is the majority.

fictional, I think not. I am a realist, a very logical person, I do not wonder much about what I know
has never been proven to be, I relate to the earth very deeply, and everything real about it, but nothing
that is mystical or invisible or god-like.

I believe that everyone who was ever buried in our earth is still there, in whatever form the earth has
turned them into, but they are there, all of them, and they never have come back here to bother anyone.
I wonder how many relatives I have, who are buried there.

The earth is home to the newly arrived, and those who live their lives, and intruders who have died,
are in the earth, and live on as memories in the living, and those living now must accept that, and
not insist that they will come back, let it be, accept death, I know it is difficult to think of it
in the real simplest form, that it really is, and more comforting to think that you will come back,
'ain't going to happen'.

Live a good life and create great memories for those you leave behind, it comforts them.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I have always suspected that we all lives past lives. History being one of my favorite subjects, there have been times when I read of something and it seems as if I am reliving the experiences of what I'm reading. It's so uncanny!

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I have always suspected that we all lives past lives. History being one of my favorite subjects, there have been times when I read of something and it seems as if I am reliving the experiences of what I'm reading. It's so uncanny!

i read alot of history also, but i try not to hype myself up.... Im not saying i was julius carsar or haratio nelson in a past life, but who knows i could have been one of their commanders of soliders.......

But dexter does have a point, theres no proof so as it stands we are only speculating.....