Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Then I would think that the next time you visit your doctor you should ask if he/she thinks it's necessary for you to sign any type of waiver when you get a flu shot. The virus shot they give you is a dead virus so I don't understand why you would need to sign a waiver.
It absolves the manufacturer from any liability. I believe they all still contain mercury do they not? This year though you get a special bonus for your money, a chance of getting a live H5N1 virus

Baxter admits contaminated seasonal flu product contained live bird flu virus
3 days ago
The company that released contaminated flu virus material from a plant in Austria confirmed Friday that the experimental product contained live H5N1 avian flu viruses.
And an official of the World Health Organization's European operation said the body is closely monitoring the investigation into the events that took place at Baxter International's research facility in Orth-Donau, Austria.
"At this juncture we are confident in saying that public health and occupational risk is minimal at present," medical officer Roberta Andraghetti said from Copenhagen, Denmark.
"But what remains unanswered are the circumstances surrounding the incident in the Baxter facility in Orth-Donau."
The contaminated product, a mix of H3N2 seasonal flu viruses and unlabelled H5N1 viruses, was supplied to an Austrian research company. The Austrian firm, Avir Green Hills Biotechnology, then sent portions of it to sub-contractors in the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Germany.

The Canadian Press: Baxter admits contaminated seasonal flu product contained live bird flu virus

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Then I would think that the next time you visit your doctor you should ask if he/she thinks it's necessary for you to sign any type of waiver when you get a flu shot. The virus shot they give you is a dead virus so I don't understand why you would need to sign a waiver.
It absolves the manufacturer from any liability. This year though get a special bonus for your money, a chance of getting a live H5N1 virus

Baxter admits contaminated seasonal flu product contained live bird flu virus
3 days ago
The company that released contaminated flu virus material from a plant in Austria confirmed Friday that the experimental product contained live H5N1 avian flu viruses.
And an official of the World Health Organization's European operation said the body is closely monitoring the investigation into the events that took place at Baxter International's research facility in Orth-Donau, Austria.
"At this juncture we are confident in saying that public health and occupational risk is minimal at present," medical officer Roberta Andraghetti said from Copenhagen, Denmark.
"But what remains unanswered are the circumstances surrounding the incident in the Baxter facility in Orth-Donau."
The contaminated product, a mix of H3N2 seasonal flu viruses and unlabelled H5N1 viruses, was supplied to an Austrian research company. The Austrian firm, Avir Green Hills Biotechnology, then sent portions of it to sub-contractors in the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Germany.

The Canadian Press: Baxter admits contaminated seasonal flu product contained live bird flu virus

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I believe they all still contain mercury do they not?

Thimersol. They claim it's not a problem and is out of your blood in days. It maybe out of you blood but then it's in your brain and they don't mention that part. Mercury is to the brain is what a reactor melt down is to Pripyat.

THIMEROSAL™
(Thiomersal - Thimersol)

Thimerosal, also and formerly known as Thiomersal, is a compound that most often contains approximately 49% mercury (by weight) and is used as an antiseptic and antifungal agent, commonly in for human vaccines, pet vaccines and in other animal vaccines.

Thimerosal was originally developed and marketed under the trade name Merthiolate before 1930 by Eli Lilly and Company. It has been and is still used today as a preservative in human vaccines, pet vaccines and in other animal vaccines, immune globulin preparations, certain skin test antigens, antivenins, ophthalmic and some nasal products, as well as tattoo inks.

Thimerosal, a mercury-containing organic compound, is also known scientifically as an organomercurial. For over 70 years, Thimerosal has been widely used as a preservative in a many biological and drug products, including human vaccines, pet vaccines and other animal vaccines, to reduce the threat of contamination from harmful microbes (spoilage.) Recently, because of an increasing research on the potential for neurotoxicity of even low levels of these organomercurials (mercury or compounds of mercury) and also because Thimerosal containing vaccines have been becoming increasingly popular, and much more commonly used in the ever-increasing public and private infant immunization programs, primarily in the United States, there have been increasing concerns about this accelerating use of Thimerosal in vaccines and in other products. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is continuing to work with vaccine manufacturers with a goal of reducing or eliminating Thimerosal from vaccines. The United States Congress and the media have become involved.

Thimerosal, containing Mercury or mercury compounds, is added to human vaccines, pet vaccines and to animal vaccines as a preservative. Preservatives in vaccines are compounds that kill or prevent the growth of microorganisms, particularly bacteria and fungi. In other words, Thimerosal and other mercury containing preservatives increase shelf life and lower costs by preventing 'spoilage.' They are used in vaccines to prevent microbial growth in the event that the vaccine is accidentally contaminated, as could occur with repeated puncture of multi-dose vials, commonly in use. In some cases, preservatives are added during manufacture to prevent spoilage for one reason or another. Autistic and Autism relation is studied.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
IP, you could wash your hands often (there is waterless wash stuff around). That would probably cut your chance of flu in half. At least. As for airborn nasties. turn your head away and hope for the best.
Sorry Les - just saw this post now. Each till is equipped with Purell. It's great stuff but - it contains alcohol and for the amount of bags and money I handle in a day added to the Purell, my finger tips are so dry they crack and bleed. I'm not fussy about touching all that dirty money with cracked, bleeding fingers. I do use the Purell when I see someone with an obvious cold or whatever appears contagious. More often than not though - what I "see" and what I don't see, probably gets me before I get it. The store is now equipped with Purell dispensers for people entering the store but I don't know if it really helps a lot. People touch so many things and I put so much through the till in a day. What bothers me most is being in a washroom and knowing that the woman I'm in there with leaves without washing her hands. It's pretty hard for me to turn away. For the most part, I'm just turning around into the line of cusomers behind me. You know the old "water, water everywhere. Well I have people people everywhere. :smile:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Alright - I tried to find a translation for this - Πετρος - and all that comes up is Matthew from the bible. What does it mean?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Alright - I tried to find a translation for this - Πετρος - and all that comes up is Matthew from the bible. What does it mean?

Islandpacific, you gotta be kidding !!

From πέτρος (petros), “‘stone, rock’”), related to πέτρα (petra) ... Πέτρος (genitive Πέτρου) m, second declension; (Petros) ...

Πέτ�ος - Wiktionary

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've been getting them every year for the past 15-20 years and they work for me, as when I used to get the flu it was debillitating, sick as a dog for a week and quite often would progress to bronchitis, but haven't had anything worse than a cold since I've been getting them.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I've been getting them every year for the past 15-20 years and they work for me, as when I used to get the flu it was debillitating, sick as a dog for a week and quite often would progress to bronchitis, but haven't had anything worse than a cold since I've been getting them.

Same with me, same story as you, without the bronchitis. I had the flu quite
a few times throughout my life, till I began getting the flu shot, haven't had
it since.
The flu is awful, sometimes very uncomfortable, and sometimes it lasts a couple
of days, but sometimes a week.