Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
^ Based on the above poll on CTV's web site, 61% of voters claimed they never got one this year, while only 39% did.

I was wondering in regards to the people here in these forums, did any of you get the shot this year or no?

In related information and another thing that brought this up for me is the following:

Flu shot mismatched on B virus, scientists say
CTV.ca | Flu shot mismatched on B virus, scientists say

TORONTO -- It appears there may be a partial flu shot mismatch again this year, with early data from Canada, the United States and Britain suggesting the vaccine component meant to protect against influenza B is not a match for the flu B viruses causing the most disease.

Predicting which family of influenza B viruses will dominate in a coming year - and therefore should be covered by the flu shot - is a challenge that has defied the experts in five of the last seven flu seasons, at least so far as disease patterns in North America are concerned........

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I procrastinated until after I caught the flu and then it was too late to get a shot. Three years ago I got a flu shot and never got the flu for the next two years....Maybe I was just lucky......:roll:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Have been getting the flu shot for years now, and haven't had the flu since, so
I will continue.
I understand that they 'can't' know how to cover all of the viruses, but that is OK,
whatever they cover is helpful, and the more of us who get the shot will be
protected, and it will help cover those who 'don't', as the outbreaks won't be
so big.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I haven't had a shot since high school.... and that last shot I got made me pretty sick.... I haven't had one since and I haven't had a flu since either..... that was over a decade ago.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yes - my husband and I both got our shot. It's always a "shot in the dark" and we know that. It never guarantees that you won't get the flu anyway. It just says that if you do get it, you should get a milder case of it.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Most people don't need a flu shot, so I'm glad to hear that the majority said no. I get one every year since I work with an at risk population. If not for my job, I wouldn't get one. The young and healthy don't need it. If they get the flu, they'll more than likely recover just fine. It's best to save the vaccine for the people who really do need it IMO.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I tried a flu shot once. It made a lipoma on my shoulder and I got the flu anyway. Maybe a different flu than the shot covered, but I think I only ever had the flu 3 times and they don't bother me for any more than about 4 days. Those four days are not bad with a cup of Neo Citron when it bothers me enough.
I'll pass, thanks.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Most people don't need a flu shot, so I'm glad to hear that the majority said no. I get one every year since I work with an at risk population. If not for my job, I wouldn't get one. The young and healthy don't need it. If they get the flu, they'll more than likely recover just fine. It's best to save the vaccine for the people who really do need it IMO.
There is lots of vaccine for everyone. Most people probably don't get it because the cost has risen from the original $5.00 to at least $20.00 depending on where you get it. I handle money and groceries that other people have touched all day long. I have people coming through sneezing and coughing and talking about the "flu" they are just getting over. I have a daughter-in-law with asthma and a grandchild with CP so we all do all we can to prevent flu in our households. I use a lot of Purell at work also. It really dries your hands out so I cannot use it after each customer but I do my best and I do use it after every obvious "cold" that goes through. It isn't just health care workers that are vulnerable. What I take onto my hands, I can pass onto yours. Because the flu mutates every year, there is no advantage to having the flu. You don't build up an immunity by having it.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Before you respond, answer the poll at the top of the page. I didn't see it there until my second post and when I answered it said I had already voted!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I've had the flu quite a few times throughout the years, most of the time, it was
just uncomfortable, and the usual 3 or 4 days of runs, vomiting and uselessness.
I did get it a couple of times where it lasted longer, and was more severe, still
got better. Have not had it now for years, since I got my first flu shot, so it
just makes sense to me to get it, even though I am healthy, and I guess now I
am included in that 'older' population, although there are many young people who
look like they need it much more than I, drinkers,heavy smokers and poor
eaters.
I have never had any side effects at all, although you can have a very mild sign
of the flu, but it is 'not' the flu at all, as they do not use a live vaccine.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
There is lots of vaccine for everyone. Most people probably don't get it because the cost has risen from the original $5.00 to at least $20.00 depending on where you get it. I handle money and groceries that other people have touched all day long. I have people coming through sneezing and coughing and talking about the "flu" they are just getting over. I have a daughter-in-law with asthma and a grandchild with CP so we all do all we can to prevent flu in our households. I use a lot of Purell at work also. It really dries your hands out so I cannot use it after each customer but I do my best and I do use it after every obvious "cold" that goes through. It isn't just health care workers that are vulnerable. What I take onto my hands, I can pass onto yours. Because the flu mutates every year, there is no advantage to having the flu. You don't build up an immunity by having it.

I never meant to imply it's only health care workers who should get it, that's just the reason I get it. You have contact with an at risk group, so you'd be someone for whom it was recommended. If not for my job, I wouldn't. I'm healthy and I don't have contact with people who are at risk in my personal life. The amount of flu vaccine available changes year to year, so I wouldn't bother getting it if I didn't need it. Last year we had a shortage.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I know you didn't mean to imply that. Last year was the only year we've had a shortage to the best of my knowledge and it was announced ahead of time. As I recall, didn't they say we might have a shortage but in the end we did not?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Same with me...

I was going to get one at work several years ago, but when they gave me a waver to sign, I told them to forget it...
Don't you have flu shot clinics you can go to? I've been getting flu shots for years and I have yet to be asked to sign a waiver. I always go to my doctors office for it.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Don't you have flu shot clinics you can go to? I've been getting flu shots for years and I have yet to be asked to sign a waiver. I always go to my doctors office for it.
Yes, but if the nurse at work thinks you need to sign a waver, I don't want to have anything to do with it.....

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yes, but if the nurse at work thinks you need to sign a waver, I don't want to have anything to do with it.....
Then I would think that the next time you visit your doctor you should ask if he/she thinks it's necessary for you to sign any type of waiver when you get a flu shot. The virus shot they give you is a dead virus so I don't understand why you would need to sign a waiver.