Cowessess First Nation says 751 unmarked graves found near former Sask. residential school

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

‘We knew it was there’: Former B.C. chief says unmarked graves near Cranbrook need more context

By Adam MacVicar Global News
Posted July 1, 2021 8:18 pm
Updated July 2, 2021 4:11 pm

The detection of human remains in unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school in B.C. was not an unexpected discovery, according to the area’s former chief.

On Wednesday, it was confirmed that ground-penetrating radar found 182 unmarked graves in a cemetery at the site of the former Kootenay Residential School at St. Eugene Mission just outside Cranbrook, B.C.

The remains were found when remedial work was being performed in the area to replace the fence at the cemetery last year.

Sophie Pierre, former chief of the St Mary’s Indian Band and a survivor of the school itself, told Global News that while the news of the unmarked graves had a painful impact on her and surrounding communities, they had always known the graves were there.....More

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

‘We knew it was there’: Former B.C. chief says unmarked graves near Cranbrook need more context

By Adam MacVicar Global News
Posted July 1, 2021 8:18 pm
Updated July 2, 2021 4:11 pm

The detection of human remains in unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school in B.C. was not an unexpected discovery, according to the area’s former chief.

On Wednesday, it was confirmed that ground-penetrating radar found 182 unmarked graves in a cemetery at the site of the former Kootenay Residential School at St. Eugene Mission just outside Cranbrook, B.C.

The remains were found when remedial work was being performed in the area to replace the fence at the cemetery last year.

Sophie Pierre, former chief of the St Mary’s Indian Band and a survivor of the school itself, told Global News that while the news of the unmarked graves had a painful impact on her and surrounding communities, they had always known the graves were there.....More
Of course they do , how do you think they know exactly where to look ?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
My God, it is like mass hysteria.

IF YOU TAKE GROUND PENETRATING RADAR INTO A CEMETERY YOU WILL FIND BODIES. Captain Obvious.

This is so crazy. No markers? Of course not...........they were probably wooden crosses that rotted away decades ago.

And dead bodies? These schools were open during the Spanish Flu epidemic, during the days TB was running rampant, before antibiotics, etc. Of course there are a lot of bodies.

I am NOT defending residential schools. Taking children from their parents is simply unacceptable, so outrageous. Anfd yes, I believe there was a LOT of abuse.

But physical genocide? Mass murder?

We're a long, long way from enough evidence to support those allegations.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
My God, it is like mass hysteria.

IF YOU TAKE GROUND PENETRATING RADAR INTO A CEMETERY YOU WILL FIND BODIES. Captain Obvious.

This is so crazy. No markers? Of course not...........they were probably wooden crosses that rotted away decades ago.

And dead bodies? These schools were open during the Spanish Flu epidemic, during the days TB was running rampant, before antibiotics, etc. Of course there are a lot of bodies.

I am NOT defending residential schools. Taking children from their parents is simply unacceptable, so outrageous. Anfd yes, I believe there was a LOT of abuse.

But physical genocide? Mass murder?

We're a long, long way from enough evidence to support those allegations.
Also in that article he says that they were unmarked because they were wooden crosses not being maintained, we still use wooden crosses, I have family buried in here and I don't know exactly where their graves are

Reactions: Mowich and petros

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Is there no longer any accountability in this country for reckless, irresponsible comments made from politicians and legal experts who are openly cheering on and advocating hate crimes? I honestly don't get it. How can these idiots get away with this? I thought there was zero tolerance for hate crimes perpetrated against identifiable religious or cultural groups in Canada.

People like Harsha Walia of the BC Civil Liberties Association, Caitlin Urquhart of the Canadian Newfoundland Bar Association, radio host Nesta Matthews, NDP MP Nikki Ashton, and Trudeau Advisor Gerald Butts need to be held to account for their comments. These people have no business holding the positions they do if they endorse such hateful and divisive sentiment, there should be consequences and their hypocrisy needs to be be called out. Wonder what would they say if it were Muslim Mosques that were being burned to the ground, or depictions of the prophet Mohammad that were being defaced?

AureaOlivas

Time Out
Feb 15, 2021
Oh yeah! I have also read this interesting fact somewhere. I learned that Children were frequently buried in unmarked graves on or near school grounds to save money. Officials say it's conceivable that determining the entire number of children who died at the schools may be difficult, in part because of sloppy record-keeping and the fact that some religious institutions haven't released all of their documents.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To understand what happened the big picture needs to be observed.

According to the Cirque d' Truth and Reconciliation, 48% of juvenile deaths in schools were from just TB alone.

Add in flu, pneumonia, measles, rheumatic fever, SIDS, polio and sepsis etc etc etc....

An ear ache was a potential death sentence.

We have forgotten that it's only been 79 years since penicillin was first used and another 5 or 6 before it was prescribed on demand. It never was and still isn't a cure all.

The woke are still groggy, haven't taken a morning piss or dump and have yet rub the eye snot away that obscures their vision.

As a whole you were damn lucky to make it to 50 in those days.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Oh yeah! I have also read this interesting fact somewhere. I learned that Children were frequently buried in unmarked graves on or near school grounds to save money. Officials say it's conceivable that determining the entire number of children who died at the schools may be difficult, in part because of sloppy record-keeping and the fact that some religious institutions haven't released all of their documents.
Ask any 3-5 generation Canadian if they know exactly where their forefathers were buried, they answer will surprise you.

My Dad had 2 older twin siblings that died before he was born, because they weren't baptized they were buried in a corner of the graveyard, the wooden crosses have been missing for many years we know the corner they are in, but we don't know exactly were they are buried.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Is there no longer any accountability in this country for reckless, irresponsible comments made from politicians and legal experts who are openly cheering on and advocating hate crimes? I honestly don't get it. How can these idiots get away with this? I thought there was zero tolerance for hate crimes perpetrated against identifiable religious or cultural groups in Canada.

People like Harsha Walia of the BC Civil Liberties Association, Caitlin Urquhart of the Canadian Newfoundland Bar Association, radio host Nesta Matthews, NDP MP Nikki Ashton, and Trudeau Advisor Gerald Butts need to be held to account for their comments. These people have no business holding the positions they do if they endorse such hateful and divisive sentiment, there should be consequences and their hypocrisy needs to be be called out. Wonder what would they say if it were Muslim Mosques that were being burned to the ground, or depictions of the prophet Mohammad that were being defaced?
I read this yesterday. I was wondering how such vast improvements to ground penetrating radar could happen in 3 short years.

Reactions: Twin_Moose