COVID-19 'Pandemic'

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
CHAUDHRI: COVID carelessness caught on video lands employees jobless
Staff at a B.C. resort were captured on video dancing maskless in a sea of young adults as music blared

Author of the article:Sunira Chaudhri
Publishing date:Apr 03, 2021 • 5 hours ago • 3 minute read • 5 Comments
Sunira Chaudhri is an employment and labour lawyer and partner at Levitt Sheikh Chaudhri Swann. She sheds light on some questions for employees during COVID-19.
Sunira Chaudhri is an employment and labour lawyer and partner at Levitt Sheikh Chaudhri Swann. She sheds light on some questions for employees during COVID-19. PHOTO BY SUPPLIED PHOTO /Levitt LLP
Article content
COVID, the fog that never seems to lift, dealt most provinces a huge blow last week.

On the verge of renewed lockdown orders, employees in the service and hospitality sectors bristled at the grim reality of being unemployed yet again.

Some B.C. employees responded to the news with an evening of gay abandon and recklessness. Partying the night away at a bar, Charley Victoria’s All Day Apres at the Big White Ski Resort, a stone’s throw from Kelowna.

Employees of the resort were captured on video, dancing maskless in a sea of young adults as music blared. Patrons were nary a few inches apart; social distancing, a concept left at the door.

What 14 months ago would be considered nothing more than a youthful indiscretion is today’s unspeakable deed; fraternizing maskless with one’s peers is not simply a faux pas but considered a social crime.

Big White Ski Resort was unequivocal in its response: sanctioning employees caught on the viral video with severe punishment; termination accompanied by a public rebuke.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
Michael Ballingall, senior vice president of the Big White Ski Resort, said the management team was “disgusted, appalled” and “embarrassed” by the employees’ actions.

He also said employees identified in the video will be fired.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Sunira Chaudhri is an employment and labour lawyer and partner at Levitt Sheikh Chaudhri Swann. She sheds light on some questions for employees during COVID-19.
CHAUDHRI: A toxic workplace can damage even the largest brands
CHAUDHRI: How did #metoo skip Canadian Military?
CHAUDHRI: Working dad lands big win for moms everywhere

Employers are more comfortable now than ever before to terminate employees that have cast a shadow on the reputations of their employers — even after hours. Misconduct during COVID appears to be even less tolerated. Acting in a manner that threatens the health and safety of others, especially customers, will result in swift firing.

While most will be empathetic to the plight of employees that have experienced precarious employment conditions for more than a year, we now live in a world that will not excuse even the slightest sign of carelessness as our country spirals into the depths of the pandemic. Employees must be careful to comply with all COVID rules, at all times, even when off the clock.

Attending parties, leaving your mask at home or traveling for non essential reasons will assuredly land you in hot water should your employer be alerted to your social exploits. The moral of the story is that failing to mind current COVID guidelines could cost you your health and possibly your job.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
GOLDSTEIN: Vaccine side effects reported in 60 cases out of 100,000
Author of the article:Lorrie Goldstein
Publishing date:Apr 03, 2021 • 5 hours ago • 3 minute read • 7 Comments
A medical worker fills a syringe with the AstraZeneca vaccine at a hospital in Tbilisi, Georgia, Tuesday, March 16, 2021.
A medical worker fills a syringe with the AstraZeneca vaccine at a hospital in Tbilisi, Georgia, Tuesday, March 16, 2021. PHOTO BY IRAKLI GEDENIDZE /REUTERS
Article content
Given ongoing concerns about vaccine safety, the federal government has a useful website that tracks adverse side effects of vaccines administered in Canada.

Updated weekly, it was one of the sites I used before deciding whether to be vaccinated, which I eventually did.

Here’s what I found, although it’s best to consult the site yourself since it’s updated weekly.

Since vaccinations began in Canada on Dec. 13, 2020, 4,800,931 doses were administered up to March 26, 2021.

There have been 2,859 reports of adverse effects, meaning 59.6 per 100,000 doses.

Of these, 2,475 or 51.6 per 100,000 were non-serious and 384, or 8 per 100,000, serious.

Serious events are those that result in death, are considered life-threatening; require in-patient hospitalization or prolong existing hospitalization; result in a persistent or significant disability/incapacity, or a congenital anomaly/birth defect.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
MORE ON THIS TOPIC

The AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is administered at a Kingston pharmacy on March 12, 2021.
Ontario lowers pharmacy COVID-19 vaccine age to 55, expands shot locations
Canada's Chief Science Adviser, Mona Nemer has said vaccine delays
BONOKOSKI: We're all guinea pigs now thanks to Justin Trudeau
People wait their turn as nurses from Humber River Hospital's mobile vaccine clinic administer the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at Toronto and Region Islamic Congregation Centre as part of the COVID-19 vaccination campaign, in Toronto, April 1, 2021.
EDITORIAL: Mandatory vaccines are still a bad idea

Among the 384 reported serious effects, the most frequent was anaphylaxis — a severe allergic reaction.

There have been 26 reported deaths following vaccination in Canada.

Investigations have concluded 14 were unrelated to the vaccine. Twelve cases are still being investigated and results will be updated, along with new reports of deaths.

In this context, it’s important to remember that correlation is not causation.

Just because two things occur simultaneously or in sequence does not automatically mean one caused the other. In this case, because someone dies after being vaccinated does not automatically mean the vaccine caused their death.

As of March 26, there were no reported cases in Canada of blood clots from AstraZeneca vaccinations.

But because of European reports of blood clots associated with low levels of blood platelets (thrombocytopenia), Canada’s National Advisory Committee on Immunization and Chief Medical Officers of Health have recommended AstraZeneca should not be used in adults under age 55, pending further investigation.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine accounted for 1,659 adverse event reports, 1,347 non-serious, 312 serious; Moderna, 1,165 adverse events, 1,106 non-serious, 59 serious; COVISHIELD/AstraZeneca 33 adverse events, 22 non- serious, 11 serious.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
(I couldn’t find the distribution numbers for each vaccine but obviously there has been far less use of COVISHIELD/AstraZeneca to date compared to Pfizer and Moderna.)

Below are the most commonly reported adverse effects — taking into account people may report more than one and that not everyone will report adverse effects if they are minor or disappear after a day or two:

Vaccination site pain (701); vaccination site redness (552); vaccination site swelling (425); itching (391); tingling or prickling (350); vaccination site warmth (340); vaccination site reaction (321); headache (311); hives (281); nausea (245); rash (242); swollen lymph nodes (242); fatigue (226); vaccination site itching (218); fever above 38C (217); dizziness (191); vaccination site infection (181); redness (178); laboured breathing (177); numbness (176); chills (158); other allergic reactions (151); vaccination site inflammation (143); vomiting (142); pain (140); vaccination site hardness (128); throat tightness (123); diarrhea (116); vaccine site rash (112); chest discomfort (106); fast heartbeat (104); joint pain (96); muscle pain (88); extensive swelling of vaccinated limb (79); dermatitis allergic (77); difficulty swallowing (77); discomfort (76); flushing (74); face swelling (71); lip swelling (69); cough (66); feeling hot (64); swollen tongue (63); abdominal pain (61); severe allergic reaction (60).

The government’s advice is that the benefits of authorized vaccines outweigh the risks.

The website, “Reported side effects following COVID-19 vaccination in Canada,” can be found at: http://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccine-safety/#a6.

lgoldstein@postmedia.com

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Health Canada recalls masks containing graphene as it assesses risks to people
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Apr 03, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 1 minute read • 5 Comments
Disposable face masks.
Disposable face masks. SunMedia
Article content
Health Canada has issued a recall on disposable masks containing a material made of tiny particles it says could pose a danger if inhaled.

The agency is advising people not to wear masks with graphene or biomass graphene because its preliminary assessment of the available research suggests the particles cause early lung toxicity in animals, though the risks to humans are not yet known.

It says variables such as the design of a mask, how long it’s worn and the type of graphene material used would all affect the potential to inhale particles from the material that is reported to have antiviral and antibacterial properties.

Health Canada says in an advisory that it has requested data from mask manufacturers to assess the potential health risks related to face coverings that contain graphene.

It has directed distributors, importers and manufacturers to stop selling the masks and has also advised provinces and territories to halt their use.

The agency says anyone who has worn a graphene mask should consult their healthcare provider if they have concerns such as shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.

It says the masks have been used in schools and daycares by adults and children alike.

The agency says they may have also been used in some healthcare settings.

• Wow
Reactions: Danbones

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
U.S. stops AstraZeneca vaccine production at Baltimore plant
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:Apr 03, 2021 • 13 minutes ago • < 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Some pharmacies in Brantford and Brant County will begin administering AstraZeneca vaccines by appointment only to people ages 55 and older. Postmedia photo ORG XMIT: POS2103311634561190
SunMedia
Article content
U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration on Saturday stopped a Baltimore manufacturing plant that ruined 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine from making another vaccine developed by AstraZeneca, the New York Times reported on Saturday.

The administration has put Johnson & Johnson in charge of the troubled manufacturing plant, the report said.

The U.S. Health and Human Services’ extraordinary step will render the Emergent BioSolutions facility solely devoted to making the Johnson & Johnson single-dose vaccine, and is meant to avoid future mix-ups, according to the report, which cites two senior federal health officials.

Johnson & Johnson said it was “assuming full responsibility”, confirming the changes, the report added.

• Wow
Reactions: Danbones

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
A respirator is not good. When I got covid, I told my wife no respirator if it got that bad. Glad it didn't. I even avoided hospitalization. Hope he recovers. I will add him to my prayers.
Going on listed symptoms ( Not the stupid PCR ), I had it in Feb and I give it a 3 out of 10 as colds go. 10 being taking a day off.
;)
Funny, but you won't hear of regular medical cures let alone the herbal ones.
That's why we have a "Press" I guess - gotta keep that lid on tight.

Oh well.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Going on listed symptoms ( Not the stupid PCR ), I had it in Feb and I give it a 3 out of 10 as colds go. 10 being taking a day off.
;)
Funny, but you won't hear of regular medical cures let alone the herbal ones.
That's why we have a "Press" I guess - gotta keep that lid on tight.

Oh well.
For me it was definitely the worst cold/flu I have ever had. I worked through it too (at home) but did have to stop for frequent naps.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Now the police are breaking up Good Friday services

The cops’ invasion of a Polish Catholic mass in South London is genuinely chilling.

BRENDAN O'NEILL

EDITOR

Spiked
3rd April 2021

Now the police are breaking up Good Friday services

There have been many shocking and even despicable acts of authoritarianism over this past year of lockdown. And right up there are the events that took place at a Polish Catholic church in south London yesterday. On Good Friday, the most solemn day in the Catholic calendar, police officers walked into the church, proceeded to the altar and instructed the congregation to go home or face arrest. It captures, better than anything I’ve seen, how thoroughly Britain has lost its way as a result of the hysteria and illiberalism of the Covid crisis.

It looks like something out of a tinpot tyranny. The church service was being livestreamed online. Halfway through, two cops appear and arrogantly walk to the sanctuary itself, the area around the altar. They then take over the lectern from the priest and issue a dire warning to the people who had gathered to commemorate the darkest day in the Christian faith – the trial and execution of Christ. ‘You need to go home’, an officer says. ‘Failure to comply with this direction to leave… could lead you to be fined £200 or, if you fail to give your details, to you being arrested.’

It feels chilling to hear such a bureaucratic threat being issued to people who are exercising their freedom of religion. There are so many disturbing things about this assault on a religious gathering. First, it is being reported that the church had taken the necessary measures to make itself Covid-secure. But even if it hadn’t, couldn’t the police have waited until the service was over before having a word with the priest, perhaps? Secondly, who grassed on these Catholics? Who phoned the police to tell them a group of people was marking the death of Christ? What kind of curtain-twitching, ratting-out country have we become?

What’s more, Covid cases and deaths in London have plummeted in recent weeks. Last week there was a day when not a single person in London, this teeming city of millions, died from Covid-19. Are the police, is officialdom itself, now so lacking in the skill of discretion, and so oblivious to the importance of freedom, that they cannot agree to allow an incredibly important spiritual gathering to take place at a time when Covid in the capital is fast disappearing? If so, then the year of lockdown has changed us, has warped reason, even more than I feared.

To see British police officers forbidding Polish Catholics from marking Good Friday feels like a betrayal of what Britain is meant to stand for. Polish Catholics have faced harassment and persecution many times in recent decades. In Poland under the Soviets, life was often hard for Catholics (though the sheer size and influence of the Polish church meant the Communists had a harder time repressing religion there than they did in other Eastern Bloc countries). That Poles in the UK, some of whom will remember life under Stalinism, now face police threats for the ‘crime’ of Easter worship brings shame upon this country. Polish immigrants have contributed an enormous amount to the UK in recent years, including in terms of revitalising the Christian ethos, and this is the thanks they get?

Maybe we need priest holes again, those 16th-century hiding places for Catholics who dared to celebrate mass when it was forbidden by law. Or maybe the government and others will finally get a grip and realise we have gone too far. Because, seriously, when Catholics cannot gather in peace on the most solemn day of their faith in a week when Covid deaths in London have continued to fall dramatically, then we really have gone too far. The police need to be reined in, the government needs to restore our liberty, and the rest of us must raise the pressure for the return of the freedoms of association, protest and worship.

Now the police are breaking up Good Friday services - spiked (spiked-online.com)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Benedict Cumberbatch fears he may have been COVID 'patient zero'
Author of the article:WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Publishing date:Apr 04, 2021 • 7 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Benedict Cumberbatch stars in The Mauritanian and The Courier.
Benedict Cumberbatch stars in The Mauritanian and The Courier. PHOTO BY VALERY HACHE /Getty Images
Article content
Benedict Cumberbatch fears he was a COVID-19 super-spreader after falling ill during a trip to South America, months before the pandemic shut down the planet.

The Sherlock actor thinks he might have been “patient zero” before the coronavirus started making headlines at the end of 2019.

“I was incredibly ill, to the point that when all this COVID stuff suddenly broke in the new year, I was thinking, ‘Oh my God, was I actually patient zero?’” the actor tells The Independent. “I was so ill. It was borderline pneumonia.”

But Benedict went over and above to help medics fight the pandemic, donating over US$16,600 to fund hospital scrubs.

The generous star got in touch with Savile Row tailor Emma Willis after she launched her Style For Surgeons initiative back in April 2020.

Emma, who previously fitted Benedict, 44, for his wedding shirt in 2015, said, “I got a call from him out of the blue saying, ‘It’s Benedict, I’m in New Zealand… I’ve heard about your Style For Surgeons and I would love to get involved. What can I do?’ I said, ‘We’re aiming to raise 30,000 pounds and we’ve got 12,000 pounds more to raise to cover the cost of the fabric (for the scrubs), we’re covering the cost of the making of them’. He said, ‘Count it done’, and transferred the rest of the money.

“He obviously felt a real need to support. We do ongoing work with him and there’s also something in the pipeline. I think people, like Benedict, who use their influence and fame to support important causes are wonderful. They see how they can help people through their fame in such a positive way.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
U.S. puts J&J in charge of plant that botched COVID-19 vaccine, removes AstraZeneca
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:Apr 03, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
Some pharmacies in Brantford and Brant County will begin administering AstraZeneca vaccines by appointment only to people ages 55 and older. Postmedia photo ORG XMIT: POS2103311634561190
SunMedia
Article content
The United States has put Johnson and Johnson in charge of a plant that ruined 15 million doses of its COVID-19 vaccine and has stopped British drugmaker AstraZeneca Plc from using the facility, a senior health official said on Saturday.

J&J said it was “assuming full responsibility” of the Emergent BioSolutions facility in Baltimore, reiterating that it will deliver 100 million doses to the government by the end of May.

In a separate statement late Sunday, Emergent said it expects to align with the U.S. government and AstraZeneca to ramp down manufacturing for AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine at its Baltimore plant.

The Department of Health and Human Services has also increased Emergent’s order by $23 million for expansion of production specific to J&J’s vaccine doses, Emergent added.

“The $23 million will be used for the purchase of biologics manufacturing equipment specific to Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine for the potential expansion of manufacturing of that bulk drug substance into a third suite of Emergent’s Baltimore Bayview facility,” the company said.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The Department of Health and Human Services facilitated the move, the health official said in an email, asking not to be named due to the sensitivity of the matter.

AstraZeneca, whose vaccine has not been approved in the United States, said it will work with President Joe Biden’s administration to find an alternative site to produce its vaccine.

White House officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The development, first reported by the New York Times, further hampers AstraZeneca’s efforts in the United States. The government has criticized the drugmaker for using outdated data in the results of its vaccine trial. It later revised its study.

Workers at the Emergent BioSolutions plant several weeks ago conflated ingredients for the J&J and AstraZeneca vaccines, the Times said earlier in the week. J&J said at the time the ruined batch had not advanced to the fill-and-finish stage.

The government’s move to have the facility make only the J&J single-dose vaccine is meant to avoid future mix-ups, the Times said, citing two senior federal health officials.

The top U.S. infectious disease doctor told Reuters on Thursday the country may not need AstraZeneca’s vaccine even if it wins approval.

The United States has loan deals to send Mexico and Canada roughly 4 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, made at its U.S. facility.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
1617610822612.png

Boris Big Announcent Today 😡 Passorts WILL NOT HAPPEN 🤬 Don’t Let Them Wind You Up!​

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

1617611251851.png

Travel Passports Punish Poor 🤬 £350 EACH For Tests + Quarantine £1750​

This is quite appalling!

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

Union says Ontario nurses can't be forced to wear masks in flu season​

BY THE CANADIAN PRESS
POSTED SEP 10, 2015 9:28 AM EDT

LAST UPDATED SEP 10, 2015 AT 1:21 PM EDT

...Experts testified that it was illogical to force healthy nurses to wear masks, and Hayes concluded the masks were not protecting patients or nurses from the flu,

“The sad part about it is it was giving our patients a false sense of security, and we knew that,” said Haslam-Stroud.

The influenza vaccine is only about 40 to 60 per cent effective even in good years, said Gardam, which means all hospital workers should wear masks all the time if they were actually effective at preventing the spread of the flu.

“So the only way you can really explain that argument is to say ‘well, it’s not really that the masks are working,”’ he said.

“It’s because the masks are a way of driving you towards vaccination.”...

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Delhi flights top source of international COVID-19 infections: Health Canada
Qatar, UAE, Paris and Turkey round out top five sources for COVID-19 infected international passengers

Author of the article:Bryan Passifiume
Publishing date:Apr 05, 2021 • 8 hours ago • 1 minute read • 22 Comments
People walk towards Terminal 1 at Toronto's Pearson Airport after mandatory coronavirus (COVID-19) testing took effect for international arrivals February 15, 2021.
People walk towards Terminal 1 at Toronto's Pearson Airport after mandatory coronavirus (COVID-19) testing took effect for international arrivals February 15, 2021. PHOTO BY CARLOS OSORIO /REUTERS
Article content
The Indian capital of Delhi continues its weeks-long spot as a top source of international passengers testing positive for COVID-19.

Data from Health Canada shows 28 infected flights from Indira Gandhi International Airport landed in Canada between March 21 and April 1, with all but five touching down in Toronto.

Doha, the capital city of Qatar, was the point of origin for 13 infected flights over the same time period, while 11 came from the United Arab Emirates.

Paris (10 flights) and Istanbul (eight flights) rounded out the top-five destinations.

With the federal government’s Jan. 31 suspension of flights from sunny holiday destinations, the number of flights with infected passengers from Delhi began to grow, reaching as high as 30 between March 4 and March 20.

Canada saw 113 flights carrying passengers that tested positive for COVID-19 between March 21 and April 1.

Health Canada doesn’t track how many infected passengers were on each flight, providing only three-row “ranges” of where COVID-infected passengers sat.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Other sources of infected overseas passengers include five flights from Amsterdam, four each from Pakistan and Jamaica, and three each from Addis Ababa, London, and Brussels.

The United States was the source of twelve infected flights, including two each from Denver and Detroit, and single flights from Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.

International travellers are subject to mandatory COVID-10 tests and a two-week quarantine upon arrival, with three days spent at a government-mandated COVID-19 quarantine hotel.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Delta planes are seen parked due to flight reductions made to slow the spread of coronavirus disease at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport in Birmingham, Alabama, March 25, 2020.
Delta reopens some middle seats as flight demand increases
A passenger is covered head to toe at the International Arrivals area at Terminal 3 at Toronto Pearson International Airport on Tuesday, January 26, 2021.
Nearly every India-Toronto flight this month had COVID-positive passengers
Canadian airlines are still gathering information on vaccine passports.
Canadian vaccine passport draws early mixed reaction from industry

They’re also required to provide recent proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding any Canada-bound flight.

Of the 44,089 international travellers that arrived in Canada by air between Feb. 22 and March 15, 640 tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival.

bpassifiume@postmedia.com
On Twitter: @bryanpassifiume

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
BRAUN: Curb wildlife trade to help prevent next pandemic
Author of the article:Liz Braun
Publishing date:Apr 05, 2021 • 12 hours ago • 3 minute read • 5 Comments
A new report from World Animal Protection outlines exactly how Canada is complicit in the world wildlife trade
A new report from World Animal Protection outlines exactly how Canada is complicit in the world wildlife trade PHOTO BY SUPPLIED PHOTO /Toronto Sun
Article content
A wildlife market is implicated in the COVID-19 outbreak.

This time it’s Wuhan.

Next time it might be Whitby.

A new report from World Animal Protection outlines exactly how Canada is complicit in the world wildlife trade — participation that makes us just as responsible as any other place on the planet for this latest zoonotic disease. Despite having only 0.5% of the world’s population, we are big contributors to the global wildlife trade.

COVID-19 is just the latest in a long line of zoonotic illnesses, including Ebola, SARS, MERS, HIV, and Lyme disease.

The wildlife trade (legal and illegal) plays a big role in these diseases and puts human health at risk. In Canada, all those wild birds, lizards, turtles, snakes, and other exotic pets — about 1.4 million of them — contribute to the problem.

So does trophy hunting for bears and wolves (black bear gallbladders are used in traditional medicine) and so does keeping wild animals, such as mink or foxes, for their fur.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
World Animal Protection noted in their report that close to 100,000 ads for exotic pets ran on Kjiji in 2020. Canada imported at least 320,081 wild animals in 2019. Over 75% of them were not subject to any import restrictions, including pathogen screening; most were destined for the exotic pet industry.

The wildlife trade (legal and illegal) plays a big role in these diseases and puts human health at risk.
The wildlife trade (legal and illegal) plays a big role in these diseases and puts human health at risk. PHOTO BY SUPPLIED PHOTO /Toronto sun
Millions of wild animals were imported here between 2014 to 2019; even if you don’t care about the animal cruelty involved, you should know that the stress of being removed from their natural habitat and transported all over the globe causes animals to shed a lot of viral material.

Canada has its own version of wildlife markets: exotic pet shows that sell amphibians, reptiles, birds, and small mammals, and also some 150 Mobile Live Animal Programs (MLAPs), which bring a reptile show or petting zoo right to your house. Or school.

The figures on wild animals coming into Canada aren’t exact because a patchwork of government agencies watches over all of this at our borders, and there’s plenty of room for error.

“The current pandemic and previous major epidemics around the world are fundamentally linked to our poor treatment and exploitation of wild animals,” said Melissa Matlow, of World Animal Protection Canada.

The role of the wildlife trade in zoonotic diseases cannot be overstated.

It is a top driver of pandemic risk (along with land-use change and agricultural expansion and intensification), according to two major COVID-19 reports — one from the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and another from the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES).

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
A poll commissioned by World Animal Protection shows the vast majority of Canadians support stronger laws to reduce the wild animal trade here. Of the findings: 75% support a permanent ban on wild animal markets, 90% oppose trophy hunting and 80% oppose the capturing, breeding, and trading of wild animals as exotic pets or for their fur.

World Animal Protection (and more than 500,000 Canadians) are calling on the government to curb the import and domestic trade in wild animals and products that could contribute to the spread of zoonotic diseases in Canada.

Besides risk of disease, animal cruelty and species extinction are also issues here.

Those are the reasons the wildlife trade in Canada and everywhere else has to stop.

“We are urging all G20 countries to get involved as they have the power and can make decisions on this — it’s not just a problem in China, but worldwide,” said Matlow.

“There a lot of ways people exploit wildlife. What’s needed is a blanket ban.

“COVID-19 could have started here, absolutely. Blame shifts to the country where it originally started, but it could easily happen here, and it involves all of us — no matter where it began. This is the time to do something about it.”

Sign the Wildlife trade petition to make your voice heard.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is rapidly turning into a new industry for government employees.

They need to come up with any old rubbish to come up with an excuse to keep on kicking that can down the road and delay taking us out of lockdown.

Unfortunately, there are many brain-dead sheeple out there who'll keep following the rules regardless of how insane they are who are going to keep is in lockdown permanently.

The only way out of the lockdowns is the public rising up en masse.

Reactions: taxslave