China's Space Program

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
China's space program makes another leap forward:

China will launch three astronauts, including a mother who flies transport planes, to live and work on a space station for about a week, a major step in its goal of becoming only the third nation with a permanent base orbiting Earth.
Liu Yang, a 34-year-old, volleyball-playing air force pilot, and two male colleagues will be launched Saturday in the Shenzhou 9 spacecraft that will dock with the bus-sized Tiangong 1 space module now orbiting 322 kilometres above the Earth.
Two of the astronauts will live and work inside the module to test its life-support systems while the third will remain in the capsule to deal with unexpected emergencies. State media have said the mission will last about 10 days before the astronauts travel back to Earth in the capsule that will land on the Western Chinese grasslands with the help of parachutes....
China to launch landmark space station mission - World - CBC News

the future?

Building a Heavenly Palace in outer space
by Alina Chernoivanova, Dmitry Kosyrev
Moscow (RIA Novosti) May 15, 2012

illustration only
China's permanent space station, the Heavenly Palace, is to be launched into orbit within a decade. According to Chinese media reports, the 60-ton craft will include a central module and two laboratories, for a crew of three. So, it's really more like a country cottage than a palace.
Building a Heavenly Palace in outer space

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
They also have plans to go to the moon from what I've read. By the looks of things they're catching up quick.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
It's fun to criticize the quality of the cheap stuff made in China, but it's actually what the buyers want in most cases. Companies approach manufacturer's and say "we want so and so may thousands of these widgets and here's what we're going to pay for them". Then it's up to the manufacturer's to figure out how they're gonna make those widgets at that price. The quality is a function of the Marketer's desired price point, rather than the ability of the manufacturer.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
If it's anything like that crap footgear they sell at WalMart, I know I wouldn't

Maybe. But the computer monitor you're reading this on was probably made there as were about half the electronic components in your computer and various other basic gadgets like your phone. The key to the the quality of any product is not necessarily where it is made, but the standards demanded by the manufacturer.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Made in Japan used to mean cheap crap. Now it means quality. As the world becomes dependent on China, the price will go up. As China faces competition from other countries the quality will go up.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Maybe. But the computer monitor you're reading this on was probably made there as were about half the electronic components in your computer and various other basic gadgets like your phone. The key to the the quality of any product is not necessarily where it is made, but the standards demanded by the manufacturer.

Be that as it may, I have yet to drive a gravel stone up through the air-bubble heel of my HP

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Per Capita Greenhouse Gas Production

1 Qatar
7 United States
8 Canada
71 Thailand
72 China
List of countries by greenhouse gas emissions per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Always per capita. I'd like to see this conparison done factoring in
land mass & population & climate. Canada has a population that's
thin on the ground, and spread out (even if it's mostly along its
southern border...) & the whole country (not just part of it)
experiences this whole "winter" thing.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Colder countries heat their homes. Warmer countries use air conditioning. Most Canadians live in cities and we can do better.

33 Norway
56 Sweden

Sure China is the world's largest producer of greenhouse gases. They also have the most people... If I understand your point, China is too big and has too many people. They should only be allowed to produce the same level of green house gases per capita as Canada if they divided the country up into 500 little countries each with the same population as Canada.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Colder countries heat their homes. Warmer countries use air conditioning. Most Canadians live in cities and we can do better.

33 Norway
56 Sweden

Sure China is the world's largest producer of greenhouse gases. They also have the most people... If I understand your point, China is too big and has too many people. They should only be allowed to produce the same level of green house gases per capita as Canada if they divided the country up into 500 little countries each with the same population as Canada.

Neither Norway, or Sweden has to ship things, inside their country, the
distance that Canada does, though their entire countrys do deal with
winter.

Not everyplace "has to" use air conditioning to prevent their deaths 1/2 the
year....& lots of private homes in tropical places don't use air conditioning
at all. In Canada, heating your home through 1/2 the year (or close to it)
isn't an option.

Dividing China into 500 smaller countries doesn't spread their population
out over the same or similiar distances that Canadians deal with.

My point has nothing to do with China being too big with too many people.
My point is that using "per capita" alone doesn't consider enough variable
factors, is all. That's exactly all that I was getting at.