CFL 2021

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Pretty interesting stuff. Must have been at least one other team around back in the day in order to have a game but point taken about the longevity of the franchise.

Not specific to the Riders but I'd say time to give that a rest as well with going back 100+ to Lord Grey and all. The modern era and game of the CFL started around 1960 which still makes it an old league. It was about the fans and the players. Now it is about the Presidents and the Commissioner and the rest. Players don't even have guaranteed contracts.
The Edmonton Elks (hate that name) are also community owned and has been since the 1940's. They have a board of Directors as I suspect Sask. does as well.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Waiting for the B.C. Edmonton game to start tonight. Hope the Elks do better then the last game. Harris needs a "tune up" as he didn't do all that well against Winnipeg. Fingers crossed.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
It's been a few years, Bob, so I'll repeat my dream. . .

The CFL, 2025:

Eastern Division

Niagra Falls
Montreal Alouettes
NB Sailors
Halifax Gunners (for the cannon in the fort)

Central Division

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Toronto Argonauts
Ottawa Redblacks
Hamilton Ti-Cats

Western Division

Saskatchewan Roughriders
Calgary Stampeders
Edmonton Elks
BC Lions

Southern Division

Memphis Steamers
Oklahoma Hunters
San Antonio Vaqueros
San Diego Vipers

Subsidy from the NFL, which will use the CFL as a "minor league" to develop talent in a formal arrangement that recognizes the developmental interest of the NFL, but preserves the integrity and primacy of the CFL.

Special law in the U.S. Congress to allow the CFL Southern Division to "discriminate on the basis of national origin" to preserve the "25% Canadian" rule across the league.

Annual "North American Super Cup" where the loser of the NFL Super Bowl plays the loser of the Grey Cup. Played alternate years in Canada under CFL rules and in the U.S. under NCAA (college) rules. Players of BOTH teams in the Super Cup are paid by NFL payscales.

Editorial: It was a damn CRIME that, when Ottawa refused the CFL a $30 million loan to allow a 2020 season, the NFL didn't step up. FFS, the NFL pays some INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS more'n $30 mil! Surely they could pony up.
CFL didn't need the money. They were just trying to see if they could get it. When they say they lost $ 60 - 80 million in 2020 they are talking lost profits.

CFL has almost run its course with the out dated policies and the clear conflict with the television / radio/ and internet rights holder. The chairman of the CFL board also sits on MLSE board and is employed by Bell Media. CFL will never open their books. Basically it is in house programing.

I mentioned before about not recognizing player contracts while all management and coaching deals are carved in stone. Collective agreement is up after this year. I will be surprised if the players take any more cuts.

As far as the coast to coast it will never work with the time zones. Last nights game would have been starting at 11 pm in Halifax.

Omaha, Louisville, Tulsa, Oklahoma City among many others would be great 3 down football cities and the players association should be open to an agreement if one can be made. Bottom line on that imo is the NFL likes 4 downs and what they have going. They are not looking for competition.

And yet everyone is glad that the CFL is back but what they are really glad about is seeing the players play. I fail to understand how they do not give them the credit they deserve.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
CFL has almost run its course with the out dated policies and the clear conflict with the television / radio/ and internet rights holder. The chairman of the CFL board also sits on MLSE board and is employed by Bell Media. CFL will never open their books. Basically it is in house programing.
Toronto Sports Network (TSN) centric? Get the fuck out!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
CFL didn't need the money. They were just trying to see if they could get it. When they say they lost $ 60 - 80 million in 2020 they are talking lost profits.

I mentioned before about not recognizing player contracts while all management and coaching deals are carved in stone. Collective agreement is up after this year. I will be surprised if the players take any more cuts.

As far as the coast to coast it will never work with the time zones. Last nights game would have been starting at 11 pm in Halifax.

Omaha, Louisville, Tulsa, Oklahoma City among many others would be great 3 down football cities and the players association should be open to an agreement if one can be made. Bottom line on that imo is the NFL likes 4 downs and what they have going. They are not looking for competition.

And yet everyone is glad that the CFL is back but what they are really glad about is seeing the players play. I fail to understand how they do not give them the credit they deserve.
I'm sorry about the problems, and I'll be the first to agree that the NFL is everything bad about the U.S.: rich, arrogant, next to oblivious about anything outside our borders.

Hope the players can get a MUCH better deal. I know it's not the NFL, but the player salaries are shocking!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Happy to see my Riders are rockin' the CFL so far. Now that I have found a home, I hope to be able to get to a live game one of these days.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Appears to me the bigger men are the ones who suffered most from not playing last year. Oline protection a concern for most teams.

Not an easy thing to practise at home.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Matt Nichols didn't need the rain but Ottawa played much better. 2 more points for BC keeps the west tight.

BC is still not that good.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am looking forward to watching my first Rider game of the year here in my new abode in Craik, SK. My sister in Craven who I was staying with until I bought my house has Roku not satellite, no news except the PR arm of the liberal party who need not be named and no sports. I haven't had TV until yesterday when SK Tel finally.................finally got me hooked up - it took them 24 days and three trips, and this after I had booked them 2 weeks ahead of my move here. I have something called Max TV and it looks like it will be a bit of learning experience. I downloaded and printed a guide that SK Tel emailed me today so I at least now know what all the buttons are for!
I was keeping up with the Riders through the Leaderpost and understand they are struggling. Lack of protection for Cody appears to be a problem as the O-line is all but porous.
The Riders have played the stumps twice now and have been defeated both times. I have no doubt that Calgary will be going into Saturday's game determined to make it three. I can only hope that someone on the coaching staff finally made the changes to the offensive line needed to give our QB the time to at least release the ball. GO RIDERS.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I was distressed to learn that the Riders do not visit Toronto this year. Apparently its not a balanced schedule. Toronto did visit SK earlier. So we are going to see them play the Lions in a couple of weeks.. At least we will be cheering with the crowd this time.

Reactions: Mowich

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I am looking forward to watching my first Rider game of the year here in my new abode in Craik, SK. My sister in Craven who I was staying with until I bought my house has Roku not satellite, no news except the PR arm of the liberal party who need not be named and no sports. I haven't had TV until yesterday when SK Tel finally.................finally got me hooked up - it took them 24 days and three trips, and this after I had booked them 2 weeks ahead of my move here. I have something called Max TV and it looks like it will be a bit of learning experience. I downloaded and printed a guide that SK Tel emailed me today so I at least now know what all the buttons are for!
I was keeping up with the Riders through the Leaderpost and understand they are struggling. Lack of protection for Cody appears to be a problem as the O-line is all but porous.
The Riders have played the stumps twice now and have been defeated both times. I have no doubt that Calgary will be going into Saturday's game determined to make it three. I can only hope that someone on the coaching staff finally made the changes to the offensive line needed to give our QB the time to at least release the ball. GO RIDERS.
Are you right in the Hamlet of Craik?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I was distressed to learn that the Riders do not visit Toronto this year. Apparently its not a balanced schedule. Toronto did visit SK earlier. So we are going to see them play the Lions in a couple of weeks.. At least we will be cheering with the crowd this time.
The Edmonton (Elks) played Winnipeg 3 times in a row (and lost all 3) but the schedule needs revisiting for sure.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The Edmonton (Elks) played Winnipeg 3 times in a row (and lost all 3) but the schedule needs revisiting for sure.
Nothing against my Riders, Dixie but the Bombers, IMHO are the best team in the CFL right now. They have it all and the belief to carry it through. It was almost excruciating watching how easily they foiled every chance the Lions had to score........or at times even move the ball. That is why they are first in the West and determined to stay that way.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Riders 7 -Als 3 at the half. That last drive of the game by our lads was a beaut. Go Cody. Go William!