CFL 2021

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Like any other player who wants to join the CFL they could turn up at training camp and give it a go. There are junior league native/white football teams that enthusiastically embrace the sport. Follow that by joining high school and universities teams and they will have the experience they need to try out for the big league. Nothing stopping them from doing just that.
University level coaching is what Americans get from the specialty high school programs. The transition to high level post secondary is much easier. Knowing the system is everything. It's a longer, harder road in Canada and the CFL has stopped developing players with the one year deals.

This is an interesting development with former players Calvin McCarty and Keon Raymond being hired at the high school level. Hopefully there are others. It will pay off and watch for native Canadians.

Meanwhile you and your buddies should enter a PowWow days ball tournament and see how you do. Bring ringers.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
From John Hodge's Insider Talk

Points to TSN again as the exclusive broadcast rights holder who bought the rights for a song and do nothing with them. Squeeze the players instead of growing the game. TSN has been a pain since day one. They think they are something special,

"The CFL product is better than The Spring League product yet they’ve got games on Fox Sports, which is a pretty big network down here (in the States). The CFL is hard to find on television. People down here like it, but they have a hard time finding it."

Could search it but think ABC / ESPN owned some of TSN at one time and is one of the reasons the CFL does not play on Sundays.

So do they also discourage television coverage in the States through TSN having exclusive rights.

The television deal with TSN is the root of many problems.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ottawa Redblacks suspend player accused in homophobic attack
Victim says attackers hurled slurs before knocking him unconscious near Hanlan's Point

Author of the article:Scott Laurie
Publishing date:Jun 09, 2021 • 10 hours ago • 3 minute read
Chris Larsen is a linebacker with the Ottawa Redblacks.
Article content
A badly beaten Toronto man spent part of Wednesday under the knife in hospital while the CFL’s Ottawa Redblacks were tackling allegations on social media that one of their players unleashed a weekend beating the victim says was motivated by homophobia.

The Redblacks said in a statement they “are aware of allegations made on social media involving a player in the organization. The team is currently investigating.”

On Wednesday night, the CFL team went one step further, announcing they were suspending the player — defensive lineman Chris Larsen.

Chris Larsen is a defensive lineman drafted by the CFL’s Ottawa Redblacks in 2019.
Chris Larsen is a defensive lineman drafted by the CFL’s Ottawa Redblacks in 2019.
“I don’t pretend to know all the specifics of this incident, but let me say this, the Redblacks and OSEG are proud of the role that we play in our community and we are committed to continuing to build an organization, both on and off the field, that reflects the values of our community,” Mark Goudie, CEO of the Redblacks’ parent company, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, said in a statement. “Diversity and inclusion are central to our organizational values and we will try our best to use our platform to help make acts of hate and violence, including homophobia, stop.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“We are particularly sorry for the trauma caused to the 2SLGBTQ+ community,” Goudie added.

Larsen was drafted in the 2019 CFL draft, but had not appeared in a game with the Redblacks.

Toronto Police are also investigating.

“I was knocked unconscious and beat nearly to death,” David Gomez, 24, wrote on social media.

He considers himself lucky to be alive.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I was dragged around, kicked and punched in the face. I now have a broken nose with a shattered face,” he posted. “On my way home from the beach a group of men decided to poke some fun at me by following me around and calling me ‘f—-t’ and ‘h–o.'”

Gomez is recovering from the brutal Saturday evening beating that happened close to the ferry docks near Hanlan’s Point.

Gomez wrote he has “multiple lacerations across my body, a broken tooth… oh and I also have a slight fracture on my right hip …”

David Gomez, the victim of a homophobic attack he says was carried out by an Ottawa Redblacks player.
David Gomez, the victim of a homophobic attack he says was carried out by an Ottawa Redblacks player. PHOTO BY HANDOUT /GoFundMe
Toronto Police confirmed they have launched an investigation into the aggravated assault.

And they are “… scouring for video, recovering evidence and speaking to witnesses to establish the motive,” a police statement said.

Investigators are looking for three unidentified suspects in connection with the attack.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The first suspect is described as a black man, 25 to 32 years old, about 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, with a muscular build and dreadlocks who had a bicycle.

The second suspect is described as a white man, about 5-foot-6, with a thin build, who may have dreadlocks.

The third suspect is described as white woman, 22 to 28 years old, about 5-foot-5 and 180 pounds, with long blond hair.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I welcome the fact that police have publicly stated they are investigating this as a possible hate crime,” Mayor John Tory said in a statement.

“There is absolutely no place for homophobia in our city,” he said. “It’s time to once again say an emphatic ‘no’ to this hateful violence.”

Chris Larsen was drafted in the 2019 CFL draft, but had not appeared in a game with the Redblacks.
Chris Larsen was drafted in the 2019 CFL draft, but had not appeared in a game with the Redblacks.
This disturbing incident comes during Pride Month.

“It is heartbreaking to hear this happened,” Pride Toronto wrote in a statement, “These kinds of attacks highlight why it’s important that Pride Toronto brings awareness of homophobia, transphobia, biphobia in our community.”

The organizer of a GoFundme page to help with Gomez’s recovery wrote that “David is recovering, still in shock from the incident and requires additional surgeries to mend the broken bones in his face and hip.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
As of Wednesday afternoon that fund had raised over $30,000.

The CFL released a statement Wednesday night.

Chris Larsen.
Chris Larsen.
“The CFL is aware of violence against a LGBTQ2S+ community member, and the allegation that has been made against Chris Larsen, an Ottawa Redblacks player,” the statement read. The Redblacks, who have a strong track record of opposing violence and advocating for inclusion, have said they are suspending Larsen pending further information as a result of the investigation. We too take this allegation very seriously and look forward to the outcome. In the meantime, we want to reaffirm our values: We condemn homophobia, violence and hate. We support inclusivity and diversity.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
slaurie@postmedia.com
1623330637515.png

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Saskatchewan Roughriders release its 2021 schedule​

By Taylor Shire Global News
Posted June 15, 2021 12:50 pm EST
The Saskatchewan Roughriders are set to kick off their regular season in Mosaic Stadium this Saturday.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are set to kick off the 2021 regular season on Friday, Aug. 6 at Mosaic Stadium. File / Global News

The Saskatchewan Roughriders comeback season is almost upon us.
The Riders, along with the rest of the CFL, announced the 2021 schedule on Tuesday after being given the green light on Monday to play a shortened 14-game season.

Saskatchewan will open the season on Fri., Aug. 6, against the B.C. Lions in the first of two meetings between the two clubs this season. In fact, Mosaic Stadium will be busy early on in the season, as the Riders’ first four games are at home. There will be no pre-season games in 2021.

READ MORE: Saskatchewan Roughriders CEO shares excitement around start of 2021 CFL season
The annual Labour Day Game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers remains intact as the Riders will travel to Manitoba on Saturday, Sept. 11. And keeping with the tradition, the Bombers will make the return trip to Saskatchewan the following week.

Not only will there only be 14 games, which means seven home and seven away, but the entire schedule looks a little different to accommodate the varied pandemic recovery and vaccination rates across the country.

The Riders will not make a trip to Toronto or Ottawa this year but will still travel to Hamilton and Montreal once later in the season.

And since the front half of the season is loaded with home games, the Riders will be back at Mosaic Stadium just once between Week 10 and 16, with their final home game being Friday, Nov. 5, against the Edmonton Elks.

READ MORE: CFL going ahead with August start to 2021 season
The Green and White will also play the rival Calgary Stampeders three times in a row from Weeks 9 to 12, with a bye week in between. The Riders’ bye weeks fall on the weekends of Aug. 28 and Oct. 16 this year.

The home schedule features three Friday night games, three Saturday games and one Sunday game, with three of those start times at 5 p.m. or earlier.

With a later start date, the playoffs are also pushed back. The Divisional Semi-Finals are set for Sunday, Nov. 28, with the Divisional Finals being played the following weekend on Sunday, Dec. 5. The season will then culminate with the Grey Cup Game on Sunday, Dec. 12, in Hamilton.

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Ottawa Redblacks suspend player accused in homophobic attack
Victim says attackers hurled slurs before knocking him unconscious near Hanlan's Point

Author of the article:Scott Laurie
Publishing date:Jun 09, 2021 • 10 hours ago • 3 minute read
Article content
A badly beaten Toronto man spent part of Wednesday under the knife in hospital while the CFL’s Ottawa Redblacks were tackling allegations on social media that one of their players unleashed a weekend beating the victim says was motivated by homophobia.

The Redblacks said in a statement they “are aware of allegations made on social media involving a player in the organization. The team is currently investigating.”

On Wednesday night, the CFL team went one step further, announcing they were suspending the player — defensive lineman Chris Larsen.

“I don’t pretend to know all the specifics of this incident, but let me say this, the Redblacks and OSEG are proud of the role that we play in our community and we are committed to continuing to build an organization, both on and off the field, that reflects the values of our community,” Mark Goudie, CEO of the Redblacks’ parent company, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, said in a statement. “Diversity and inclusion are central to our organizational values and we will try our best to use our platform to help make acts of hate and violence, including homophobia, stop.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“We are particularly sorry for the trauma caused to the 2SLGBTQ+ community,” Goudie added.

Larsen was drafted in the 2019 CFL draft, but had not appeared in a game with the Redblacks.

Toronto Police are also investigating.

“I was knocked unconscious and beat nearly to death,” David Gomez, 24, wrote on social media.

He considers himself lucky to be alive.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I was dragged around, kicked and punched in the face. I now have a broken nose with a shattered face,” he posted. “On my way home from the beach a group of men decided to poke some fun at me by following me around and calling me ‘f—-t’ and ‘h–o.'”

Gomez is recovering from the brutal Saturday evening beating that happened close to the ferry docks near Hanlan’s Point.

Gomez wrote he has “multiple lacerations across my body, a broken tooth… oh and I also have a slight fracture on my right hip …”

David Gomez, the victim of a homophobic attack he says was carried out by an Ottawa Redblacks player.
David Gomez, the victim of a homophobic attack he says was carried out by an Ottawa Redblacks player. PHOTO BY HANDOUT /GoFundMe
Toronto Police confirmed they have launched an investigation into the aggravated assault.

And they are “… scouring for video, recovering evidence and speaking to witnesses to establish the motive,” a police statement said.

Investigators are looking for three unidentified suspects in connection with the attack.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The first suspect is described as a black man, 25 to 32 years old, about 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, with a muscular build and dreadlocks who had a bicycle.

The second suspect is described as a white man, about 5-foot-6, with a thin build, who may have dreadlocks.

The third suspect is described as white woman, 22 to 28 years old, about 5-foot-5 and 180 pounds, with long blond hair.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I welcome the fact that police have publicly stated they are investigating this as a possible hate crime,” Mayor John Tory said in a statement.

“There is absolutely no place for homophobia in our city,” he said. “It’s time to once again say an emphatic ‘no’ to this hateful violence.”

This disturbing incident comes during Pride Month.

“It is heartbreaking to hear this happened,” Pride Toronto wrote in a statement, “These kinds of attacks highlight why it’s important that Pride Toronto brings awareness of homophobia, transphobia, biphobia in our community.”

The organizer of a GoFundme page to help with Gomez’s recovery wrote that “David is recovering, still in shock from the incident and requires additional surgeries to mend the broken bones in his face and hip.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
As of Wednesday afternoon that fund had raised over $30,000.

The CFL released a statement Wednesday night.

Chris Larsen.
Chris Larsen.
“The CFL is aware of violence against a LGBTQ2S+ community member, and the allegation that has been made against Chris Larsen, an Ottawa Redblacks player,” the statement read. The Redblacks, who have a strong track record of opposing violence and advocating for inclusion, have said they are suspending Larsen pending further information as a result of the investigation. We too take this allegation very seriously and look forward to the outcome. In the meantime, we want to reaffirm our values: We condemn homophobia, violence and hate. We support inclusivity and diversity.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
slaurie@postmedia.com
View attachment 9008
After all this negative publicity the accused was cleared of all charges. Lets see how long he has to carry that around for.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020

Saskatchewan Roughriders release its 2021 schedule​

By Taylor Shire Global News
Posted June 15, 2021 12:50 pm EST
The Saskatchewan Roughriders are set to kick off their regular season in Mosaic Stadium this Saturday.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are set to kick off the 2021 regular season on Friday, Aug. 6 at Mosaic Stadium. File / Global News

The Saskatchewan Roughriders comeback season is almost upon us.
The Riders, along with the rest of the CFL, announced the 2021 schedule on Tuesday after being given the green light on Monday to play a shortened 14-game season.

Saskatchewan will open the season on Fri., Aug. 6, against the B.C. Lions in the first of two meetings between the two clubs this season. In fact, Mosaic Stadium will be busy early on in the season, as the Riders’ first four games are at home. There will be no pre-season games in 2021.

READ MORE: Saskatchewan Roughriders CEO shares excitement around start of 2021 CFL season
The annual Labour Day Game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers remains intact as the Riders will travel to Manitoba on Saturday, Sept. 11. And keeping with the tradition, the Bombers will make the return trip to Saskatchewan the following week.

Not only will there only be 14 games, which means seven home and seven away, but the entire schedule looks a little different to accommodate the varied pandemic recovery and vaccination rates across the country.

The Riders will not make a trip to Toronto or Ottawa this year but will still travel to Hamilton and Montreal once later in the season.

And since the front half of the season is loaded with home games, the Riders will be back at Mosaic Stadium just once between Week 10 and 16, with their final home game being Friday, Nov. 5, against the Edmonton Elks.

READ MORE: CFL going ahead with August start to 2021 season
The Green and White will also play the rival Calgary Stampeders three times in a row from Weeks 9 to 12, with a bye week in between. The Riders’ bye weeks fall on the weekends of Aug. 28 and Oct. 16 this year.

The home schedule features three Friday night games, three Saturday games and one Sunday game, with three of those start times at 5 p.m. or earlier.

With a later start date, the playoffs are also pushed back. The Divisional Semi-Finals are set for Sunday, Nov. 28, with the Divisional Finals being played the following weekend on Sunday, Dec. 5. The season will then culminate with the Grey Cup Game on Sunday, Dec. 12, in Hamilton.
CFL are the worst schedule makers ever.

Back to back games suck in general and if a team is missing a key player at that time it can turn the season. Triple headers on a 4 game week are tiring on their own and if you happen to be a fan that attends the middle game you miss most of the other two being played. Entices people to stay at home and enjoy the convenience of not missing any of the action.

TSN and the television and radio rights package is the problem holding the CFL back. People in the States love the game but can't find it on the tv. Seems like they like it that way.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
As far as the season goes I think Jason Maas will really help the Sask O, Bo Levi is not done, and Trevor Harris will like Derel Walker. Bombers and BC duke it out for the basement.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Hats off to Brad Sinopoli who hangs up the cleats after a very nice CFL career. He will be tough to replace. Derek Taylor had Sinopoli rated first in unexpected receptions ahead of Bryan Burnham in one of his stats categories. He played the game at a high level. Staying with the team so who knows.

Makes Ottawa an even better fit for Manny Arcenaux.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Single game betting anticipated to add $2 M in revenue for each franchise. Still won't honour the contracts they sign.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
"The Edmonton Football Team released Collins Jr. on January 31 ahead of a $33,000 roster bonus coming due".

What a kick in the nuts. Even when you know it is going to happen. Something that needs to be fixed imo.

Not sure what the Argos are doing but happy to see Collins signed and potentially back in the CFL. Toronto is looking good at receiver with Brescacin, Daniels, and Rogers among others. Questionable offensive line at this point though. D will be solid adding McCoil to go with Muamba and Judge at LB. Hoping they play well and are able to generate some fan interest in TO. I'll be surprised if Ryan Dinwiddie is the coach of the year but we'll see.

Picking Argos's fourth in the East and missing the playoffs even though I like what they are doing.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Larry Dean, torn achilles. Gone for the season, probably done. Andrew Harris gonna get him some.

Sol Elimimian will be hard to replace.

Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Trouble in Bomberland if Andrew Harris is out. They are playing it down like they always do.

Harris needs 1200 to pass Charles Roberts that I don't think he will get. At this stage he is a highly paid Calvin McCarty and I mean that with no disrespect to Calvin McCarty. Smart player, very good blocker.

Charles Roberts was the best RB the Bombers ever had hands down. 10,000 yds + in 7 years, awesome average yards per carry, so many touchdowns. Bombers ran him out of town at the height of his career. Wasn't a Doug Berry guy. He had a highlight reel worth watching kicking around YouTube a while back.

Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Sask might be okay at linebacker with one of the Herdman's stepping up in a right place at the right time kind of thing. Their father was a very good linebacker for the Bombers when he played. Equivalent to Sam Hurl with potential upside.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Did not take Brock Sunderland very long to completely transform Edmonton into Ottawa West including the ridiculous name game of both the Red Blacks and Elks. Only difference is with Edmonton he has some money to play with. I feel for the long time EE fans.

Going to win some games with Trevor Harris and everyone is talking about James Wilder but it will be tough slugging in the west to get through, I have them third ahead of Winnipeg and BC.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Going to write a book about the mistakes the BC Lions have made. Rick Lelacheur in his glory preserving David Braley"s vision is one. Hiring Rick Campbell as Head Coach, Defensive co-ordinator and co-gm is another. Neil McEvoy stabbed Ed Hervey in the back so many times he should be on trial for destroying a career. To think they had Travis Lulay and Cody Fajardo and ended up with Michael Reilly getting sacked 50 times and having confidence issues. Long odds to make the playoffs imo. Will be interesting to see if they pay Reilly for another year.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Derek Dennis is unable to get out of the contract he signed with Edmonton but he was cut in Saskatchewan to avoid paying the final two years of a three year deal. EE now have him suspended.

Players taking a 22% hit for this year. CFL holding all the cards. I will be surprised if they are able to come to a new collective agreement for 2022.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
LCF ready to go with the same brilliant people in charge. Why not open the season on a Thursday night with an 8:30 eastern start. Lots of kids will be watching. Truth is they don't care about you. Seems to be a trend.