CDN-Economy & Related Factors

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Canadian home prices up 6.5% year over year in June.
Average price excluding Toronto/Vancouver is $432K

May I suggest those likely apply to TO and Vancouver. My house isn't worth what it was a few years ago, that's for sure. And as for job losses - many as a result prior to covid and many more due to covid. The company I work for had to lay off employees and they're still not back and I suspect they won't be back until at least March of next year.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you want a link proving my point - google one.

If you want a link disproving my point - google one.

Why do you need someone to do it for you?
Unless you're stating an opinion, without being able to back-up your statement with a LINK....it's just an opinion that you're stating as a fact, & that disingenuous at best. I don't 'need' you to do anything, as requesting a LINK is just sorting the wheat from the chaff....and if you can't back your own claims up....it's just chaff. Don't have your nose out'a joint if you're statements that you can't (or won't) back up are treated as an opinion at best.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I link to news stories like everyone else and I generally express an opinion on that story.

Even when I provide a link what I have to say is my opinion and I have never tried to claim it is anything else.

You are the one that is somehow convinced that linking to multitudes of internet stories somehow proves something.

As I stated before - you can "prove" anything you want on the internet.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
If you include Toronto and Vancouver the average home price in Canada is I believe $569,000

Leaving them out the average home price is $432000

I think leaving them out is more informative.

I can tell you right now that on Vancouver Island the real estate market is on fire. There is very little for sale and anything listed sells in days.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It was the pandemic that forced their employers to lay them off.
It was the liberals that made sure the jobs would come back.
Covid didnt make people stay home, lose their business, lose their jobs or their house. The Govt did.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you include Toronto and Vancouver the average home price in Canada is I believe $569,000
I can tell you right now that on Vancouver Island the real estate market is on fire. There is very little for sale and anything listed sells in days.
That is problematic.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Freeland announces retaliatory tariffs against to be decided US goods.

President Game Show Host having yet another estrogen-fueled tantrum.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Freeland announces retaliatory tariffs against to be decided US goods.

President Game Show Host having yet another estrogen-fueled tantrum.
Trump is striking out in all directions......... in what can be called pre election anxiety. His judgment is umpired, his motives questionable . He makes emotional & impulsive decisions.

CDA response: again....measured, rational, not emotionally reactive........

Trump’s reimposed aluminum tariffs are ‘absurd’, will hurt Americans first: Freeland

https://globalnews.ca/news/7256964/...erNational&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2020

Last edited:

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Not sure what he is trying to accomplish but his base isn't accomplishment orientated anyway. Lucky for him.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Not according to what I read this morning. Seems a lot of bull is being peddled by dirt pimps to make the gullible think they must buy now, at inflated prices.. Especially the condo market in Victoria.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Unemployment rates fall again in B.C. for 2nd month since start of pandemic
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/unemployment-...r-2nd-month-since-start-of-pandemic-1.5055244

B.C. is no longer a model for COVID-19 prevention — and getting back to that stage is no guarantee

The months when British Columbia could pat itself on the back for dealing with COVID-19 better than nearly any other place in Canada or the entirety of the United States has come to an end.

In the past month, the number of daily active cases in the province has quadrupled from about 10 a day to more than 40. The number of active cases has more than doubled, reaching levels not seen since May. Outbreaks are now widespread enough to require the self-isolation of more than 1,500 British Columbians. There are now more active cases per capita in B.C. than Ontario.

In other words, it's not good.

"The province, back in June and July, was right on the knife edge," said Daniel Coombs, a University of British Columbia mathematician who has been helping the provincial government with its modelling for COVID-19 since the outbreak began.

"It turned out that it didn't take much of a spark ... to ignite a fire."

There remains the possibility B.C. can avoid the type of widespread second outbreak recently seen in many American states. But the rapid increase over the last month is cause for concern — and there's little certainty getting back to the five to 15 daily cases seen in May and June can be attained.

It's young people
The provincial increase over the last month is overwhelmingly concentrated in young people — of the 893 COVID-19 cases recorded in B.C. between July 6 and Aug. 6, two-thirds have been in people under the age of 40. The majority are in their 20s.

By contrast, less than 12 per cent of cases in the last month have been in people over the age of 60.

"'COVID fatigue' does play a role, particularly in things like long weekends where people are just wishing this would be over," said UBC psychiatry professor Steven Taylor, who specializes in the psychology of pandemics. .......More

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Drove past the local vet this morning. They are having a flea market, must have been 50 people crammed together with maybe 10 wearing masks.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Drove past the local vet this morning. They are having a flea market, must have been 50 people crammed together with maybe 10 wearing masks.
Most people are tuning the Covid out . They do not see any reason not to .