Casey Anthony trial

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Somewhat related, but not specifically Anthony case ... I just watched the spousal homicide trial in NC of Jason Young. His trial followed closely after the conviction of Medicine Hat, AB native Brad Cooper for the murder of his Edmonton born wife. Jason Young took the stand, much to the complete shock of the prosecution and judge. Neither was prepared for the required legal arguments. The jury was swayed enough to deadlock first at 6-6, and then to end with 8-4 not guilty. It was an excellent decision on his behalf to first remain silent and to then take the stand.

Anthony may do the same. The big difference is that Jason Young did not say a word to police after hearing from friends that he was in their sights ... ever, while Anthony has told so many stories she's pretty much in the same position (police have no information from her) - except for the credibility issue. Perhaps her competency hearing was to determine if she was able to make the decision to testify.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Jurors toured the Cleveland house where police found 11 decomposing bodies as opening statements began the murder trial of accused serial killer Anthony Sowell. Wearing face masks, gloves and coverings over their shoes, the jury went through every room of the three-story building some have called the "House of Horrors." Prosecutors later told the members of the jury that this would be a case that they will never forget.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Baez HAS a very experienced Death Penalty lawyer on his team. And Baez IS a very experienced CRIMINAL attorney, he has just never had a case of this prominence or a death penalty case before.

I will agree that he makes the Prosecution in the OJ Simpson case look like seasoned professionals. The way he is attacking witnesses, refusing to follow the rules laid down by the Court, etc are simply inexcusable.

Frankly, I suspect that he realizes that he is out of his depth, and is trying hard to force a mistrial.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Anyone still watching this media circus? The jury is now deliberating. Will she be found guilty on all counts? Does she deserve the death penalty or a life sentence with no chance of parole?

I did watch some of the trial off and on - could only take so much of listening to over-the-top comments and inane discourse by the hundreds of media types covering the trial most of which I found absolutely sickening. Thus, I still don't know exactly how Caylee died - maybe she drowned in the pool, but why the duck tape over her mouth? Where was the child's body for the time in between being tossed by the side of the road and her death?

I do believe Casey was complicit in the death of her child - but did she actually murder her? I just don't know.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
After the OJ trial nothing will surprise me. I don't think there is any doubt that she was responsible for the death. The question is, is it 1st degree or lesser charges? I predict it will be manslaughter. Although I'd personally convict on 1st.

But who knows, they might find her not guilty of anything. It depends on which alpha personalities are in the jury room and what they believe.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
After the OJ trial nothing will surprise me. I don't think there is any doubt that she was responsible for the death. The question is, is it 1st degree or lesser charges? I predict it will be manslaughter. Although I'd personally convict on 1st.

But who knows, they might find her not guilty of anything. It depends on which alpha personalities are in the jury room and what they believe.

I can't help but wonder at times if all the hype leading up to and then surrounding some murder trials in the U.S., really serves the cause of justice? It isn't only the media types who are over-the-top, I have to wonder at the capability or lack thereof of many of the lawyers on either side of certain cases.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Baez HAS a very experienced Death Penalty lawyer on his team. And Baez IS a very experienced CRIMINAL attorney, he has just never had a case of this prominence or a death penalty case before.

I will agree that he makes the Prosecution in the OJ Simpson case look like seasoned professionals. The way he is attacking witnesses, refusing to follow the rules laid down by the Court, etc are simply inexcusable.

Frankly, I suspect that he realizes that he is out of his depth, and is trying hard to force a mistrial.

Baez is not an experienced lawyer ...

Jose Baez History (wikipedia):

Baez started working as paralegal for Miami-Dade public defender and taught internet research to lawyers. He also started four business ventures, including two bikini selling companies and two companies selling computer know-how. In September 1990, Baez declared bankruptcy in Virginia where he resided at the time. In 1995, Virginia Education Loan Authority filed liens against Baez for $4,336 in unpaid loans.[2] Baez also worked for Lexis Nexis.[4] According to media reports, his financial situation deteriorated in the recent years, with his home purchased for over $670,000 in 2007, foreclosed and appraised at $272,900.[4] Demonstrating he had rehabilitated himself, Florida Bar Association granted him license to practice law in 2005.[2] Baez speaks Spanish and Portuguese. He employs one more lawyer, an investigator and a paralegal at this law firm.

I can't help but wonder at times if all the hype leading up to and then surrounding some murder trials in the U.S., really serves the cause of justice? It isn't only the media types who are over-the-top, I have to wonder at the capability or lack thereof of many of the lawyers on either side of certain cases.

I think the laws in the US contribute to turning trials into entertaimnment. By law, in Canada, Britain and much of Europe, very little can be released about an investigation and suspect (except first initial/last name) until the information is introduced during trial. This avoids trial-by-media, tainted juries, innocent suspects from experiencing social alienation and other problems that are so common in the US.

Baez is a goof and without the media circus surrounding the murder of Caylee Anthony, he would remain an unknown goof for the remainder of his legal career. With all the hype, some people might actually believe he has a clever mind - which he obviously does not. During his closing arguments, he repeated slandered the profession - which is a violation of professional code. He will experience sanctions when this is all over, and could even be disbarred for his antics.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
That's hilarious! Not guilty of first degree murder. What a joke. Murdertainment for 3 years and an obviously guilty person is found not guilty because of the media circus. Thank goodness that sort of tainment isn't legal in Canada.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
There's no way she is innocent, but it seems to me that because the case was used as murdertainment for the last three years (keep in mind that this woman received more than $200,000 from ABC news for photos of her daughter) it was impossible to have a real trial. I wonder how long it will be before she's in trouble again for writing bad cheques, theft, or heaven forbid ... murder. Only a broken system could result in someone like Casey Anthony being found not guilty of causing her daughter's death.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think the phrase meaning of reasonable doubt has been reasonably skewed. How could any reasonable person have doubt?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I think the phrase meaning of reasonable doubt has been reasonably skewed. How could any reasonable person have doubt?

Something certainly went wrong ... I guess that's proof that in the US, all one needs is a media circus, a lot of money, a goofy lawyer and one can get away with murder. We should be seeing books and movie deals in no time, and Casey will be set up for life ... Ms Celebrity.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Casey Anthony found not guilty of murdering daughter
Jury does return guilty verdicts on four counts of lying to investigators

source: Anthony found not guilty of murdering Caylee - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

IMHO.........the verdict is the correct one. Watched a good portion of this trial (circus) and even though there might have been a lot of circumstantial evidence. and supposition,............the hard evidence for beyond reasonable doubt was lacking. The various elements did add up to that gorgeous little girl being a victim of homicide.......but can't say there was enough to justify the death penalty.

The problem is that the US creates a circus out of some of these trials , the emotions run high. people like Nancy Grace and others inflame with their own prejudices as opposed to sticking to facts and what evolves is a gang mentality ready for a lynching party.

I am astonished that the jurors remained objective and did not fall into being whipped up by the media feeding frenzie.

The Prosecuter did a superb job with what he had. Absolutely professional. Considering the circus ring he was working in.

in the final analysis...........it is still better to fine the accused not guilty (and be wrong) then to find them guilty and put to death the wrong person. And we all know that this has happened.

.........what happens next?? The accused has no work skills, her reputation is ruined, who would hire her?? Can she afford to get a higher education and become employable?? After how she treated her family (with those ugly accusations) don't think she will be welcome to live with her parents...... even though she will probably manipulate them into housing her for a while. Resume her partying activity and promiscuity?? Most likely.

Will little Caylee's death ever be fully explained??? Probably not any more than what happened in OJ ' case.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Something certainly went wrong ... I guess that's proof that in the US, all one needs is a media circus, a lot of money, a goofy lawyer and one can get away with murder. We should be seeing books and movie deals in no time, and Casey will be set up for life ... Ms Celebrity.

Not sure what her education level is. Like can she even write?? :roll: But yes, that is the usual path this celeb style trial takes.

ah the american way.............personified.

Meanwhile , Caylee is a chapter closed and soon to be replaced with the next victim of another celeb oriented or seeking offender.

But....... The hard evidence was not there. Circumstantial only. So one must conclude that who ever did the dirty deed to that lovely young girl........was smart enough and knew or had access to forensic procedures and evidence cover up. Her daddy is a copper and she would have learned a lot through the growing up years. Again......these are assumptions...

maybe she'll hook up with OJ to help her find the real killer?

LOL........talk about two of kind. Isn't OJ in jail??? They found him guilty of some other shenanigans.

(oh well......... that should not stand in their way....:p

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
You'd think someone won the superbowl, but all the happened was legal arguments were used to keep a child murderer out of jail. A complete mockery was made of the justice system.

Not sure what her education level is. Like can she even write?? :roll: But yes, that is the usual path this celeb style trial takes.

ah the american way.............personified.

Meanwhile , Caylee is a chapter closed and soon to be replaced with the next victim of another celeb oriented or seeking offender.

But....... The hard evidence was not there. Circumstantial only. So one must conclude that who ever did the dirty deed to that lovely young girl........was smart enough and knew or had access to forensic procedures and evidence cover up. Her daddy is a copper and she would have learned a lot through the growing up years. Again......these are assumptions...

She'll do just fine ... she can do the talking head circuit, then write a book about How to Get Away With Murder and do another talking head ciruit, she can join Jose's legal team, she has plenty of experience with selling little bits of information to the media for big bucks ... she'll never have a shortage of cash ... and the marriage proposals have been rolling in since she first went to jail so maybe she can find a sugar daddy so she won't have to steal from friends and family anymore.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
You'd think someone won the superbowl, but all the happened was legal arguments were used to keep a child murderer out of jail. A complete mockery was made of the justice system.

She'll do just fine ... she can do the talking head circuit, then write a book about How to Get Away With Murder and do another talking head ciruit, she can join Jose's legal team, she has plenty of experience with selling little bits of information to the media for big bucks ... she'll never have a shortage of cash ... and the marriage proposals have been rolling in since she first went to jail so maybe she can find a sugar daddy so she won't have to steal from friends and family anymore.

that is the american way. What did you expect??? Two critical factors need to be remembered. We cannot ever let go of the reasonable doubt. And there was plenty. IF for no reason than the fact that the killer did a good job of destroying the evidence. Would rather have this type of system........then a targetted assassination without a proper legal trial or operate on the guilty until proven innocent basis.

I am sure that in Casey's mind..........she has done more than won the superbowl. Particularly if she REALLY IS GUILTY of the crime. She will always have the cloud over her head now. anyhow. She made international news. That would give her a bit of a high. All that attention. But that fades quickly.

IMHO..........the system worked. It might not have rendered what a majority thought. Most ASSUMED her guilt from her conduct , and the pieces of "evidence" that formed a pattern .........but was circumstantial at best. I too had hoped for a guilty verdict.......but logic says....... this is the more civllized legal outcome.

(we gotta remember that "not guilty " does not mean "innocent"....)