Canadians say ties to monarchy should be cut when Queen dies

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Get rid of 'em. I have no problem with Lizzy, she's been a pretty classy lady throughout a lot of sh*t in her life. However, considering the Queen nor the GG really interferes in the affairs of the Canadian govt nor are in integral part of it, I see no reason to keep the arrangement beyond the Queen's passing.
The position of Queen of Canada is purely a titular position. Which means the GG is nothing more than an un-elected representative of a figurehead. Why do we want to keep this arrangement?
How did I know you were going to say that?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Queen let her thoughts on that out yet?? Course if they want to pay us to uphold that tradition I'm sure our new bankers can come up with some suitable arrangement and sanctuary is always open should she or or her relatives need it. Homesteading permits would be the only offer that prevents extradition for crimes back home.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Queen let her thoughts on that out yet?? Course if they want to pay us to uphold that tradition I'm sure our new bankers can come up with some suitable arrangement and sanctuary is always open should she or or her relatives need it. Homesteading permits would be the only offer that prevents extradition for crimes back home.

There's a few pros and cons on the subject. One of the Pros I can think of is David Johnston. He is a person in my estimation who comports himself impeccably. Sometimes we have an obligation to make a showing in another country, and it's helpful to have a guy we can send down without fear of embarrassment.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
We should keep the monarchy in order to help define our identity as Canadians.
If we don't define our identity in some fashion, then as we get more immigration, we will wind up as a hodge poge of nothing with no particular identity.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Get rid of 'em. I have no problem with Lizzy, she's been a pretty classy lady throughout a lot of sh*t in her life. However, considering the Queen nor the GG really interferes in the affairs of the Canadian govt nor are in integral part of it, I see no reason to keep the arrangement beyond the Queen's passing.
The position of Queen of Canada is purely a titular position. Which means the GG is nothing more than an un-elected representative of a figurehead. Why do we want to keep this arrangement?

I agree. It's an irresponsible waste of money keeping the monarchy on here. A quick check will give everyone a rough idea of the millions wasted by the GG's office.

This money would be better spent on health care, education, pensions, etc.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I agree. It's an irresponsible waste of money keeping the monarchy on here. A quick check will give everyone a rough idea of the millions wasted by the GG's office.

This money would be better spent on health care, education, pensions, etc.

What is the annual net gain/loss for Canada due to our connection to the Monarch?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There's a few pros and cons on the subject. One of the Pros I can think of is David Johnston. He is a person in my estimation who comports himself impeccably. Sometimes we have an obligation to make a showing in another country, and it's helpful to have a guy we can send down without fear of embarrassment.
I don't have a problem listening to Lord Moncton.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
No one can inherit power. Power must be siezed by power and held with power. It must be earned or it isn't.

And regularly tested to ensure it's veracity.

The spoiled get of some fat potentate should never rule.

Let them prove themselves in the jungle.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I wouldn't use the word 'seized', but I think most would be happy with elected officials.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Seized as in opportunity, does the toad let a fly pass if he's not already stuffed? I'm not happy with the elected I want the victorious whoe's proven his/her ability to crush any opposition and grab the ring.

I don't want some trained suit occupying an office he/she hasn't bled for.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
We'll get there. I think we have to waste a few billion more before most people arrive at that conclusion. Charles assuming the throne will be a big push in that direction.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
We should keep the monarchy once Liz retires on the condition that Britain send Will, Kate and the kids to live and well kind of reign in Canada. We can tear down Rideau Hall and build them a kickass modern castle and, because we would no longer need a GG, the Trudeaus could move into this digs. Win - win situation as I see it.