that would be the cow
I'm guessing her name was ogna
;)
possibly her husbands name was shorty

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Bacon was invented in Canada. Any thing else is Bac tank simulation bacon, grown from the residuals of lesserthans. Tim Hortins comes to mind, they feed you people disquiosed as pork. Pigs have been extingt in the bacqan industry for three decades. You're eating street people.

Au contraire, mon ami..........they are alive and well ........and smiling.........for now anyway. :p

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Au contraire, mon ami..........they are alive and well ........and smiling.........for now anyway. :p

DON'T NAME THEM! for gawds sakes. Stick to "Production Units A, B and C 'cause someday you gotta "do 'em" and they're super smart and loaded with personality.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Canadian bacon sucks. Had it on pizza . Didn't care for it. A blt would be lousy using it.
A lot depends on the brand. I've had back bacon that was super salty and I've had back bacon that was delicious. I also tend to like it because you can cut it as thick or thin as you want. Nothing like some nice thick-sliced back bacon and fried mushrooms on a bun.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A lot depends on the brand. I've had back bacon that was super salty and I've had back bacon that was delicious. I also tend to like it because you can cut it as thick or thin as you want. Nothing like some nice thick-sliced back bacon and fried mushrooms on a bun.

There's only one thing, I don't like about back bacon...............................................................the price! :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I once had a neighbor who salt cured and smoked pork tenderloins., by the dozen. The resulting back bacon was second to none.
He said that side bacon was no different, I have a smoker and I've cured and smoked only salmon so far,,,,pretty simple really.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Exactly! I don't know why it's called Canadian Bacon...its' just ham...plain boring old ham...
Actually, no, it is made from pork tenderloin. That is why we call it back bacon. Ham is usually made from the hind quarter and bacon from belly fat.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Actually, no, it is made from pork tenderloin. That is why we call it back bacon. Ham is usually made from the hind quarter and bacon from belly fat.

What do they make from the tail, again?

Oh yeah. English Breakfast Sausage.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I once had a neighbor who salt cured and smoked pork tenderloins., by the dozen. The resulting back bacon was second to none.
He said that side bacon was no different, I have a smoker and I've cured and smoked only salmon so far,,,,pretty simple really.
There is nothing finer than home grown organic pork, home cured. I also made a bear ham once that was to die for.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
There is nothing finer than home grown organic pork, home cured. I also made a bear ham once that was to die for.

Well, the bear died for it.

I got a half an organically raised pig, once in lieu of cash (long, long ago) in the Ottawa Valley. The pork was processed in a little place in Scotch corners, Lanark County. It is still a cherished memory, decades later.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Exactly! I don't know why it's called Canadian Bacon...its' just ham...plain boring old ham...

Just another one of those old butcher's tricks, Twila...............like New York Steak, Porterhouse Steak, Salisbury Steak (hamburger)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just another one of those old butcher's tricks, Twila...............like New York Steak, Porterhouse Steak, Salisbury Steak (hamburger)

Are you suggesting that the steaks you mention are all the same cut of meat? The New York is certainly related to the Porterhouse but neither is related to the Salisbury steak or hamburger...