Canadian Bacon...WTH???

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
OK this is all beginning to make a little sense to me. My family never bought back bacon (I think Mom brought some home once during the Bob & Doug Mackenzie heyday on SCTV when my sister and I asked about it but that would be about it). Salt pork wasn't popular in our house either although it showed up a couple times by mistake when Dad tried to do some grocery shopping for a camping trip or some such.

Thanks for the responses!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Mmm, peameal. I usually buy a big chunk of it from the Saint Lawrence market every once in a while, much better then bacon strips.
When you buy in chunk like that it's actually less expensive than regular bacon....and no fat.
We only buy regular bacon now, just to add flavor to home baked beans.

It also tastes great cooked on the barbecue and served on a bun.

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
On my last trip to Texas, I was puzzled to hear a reference to "American cheese". It was cheddar, but I couldn't convince anyone at my table that it was named after a town (or district) in England.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
On my last trip to Texas, I was puzzled to hear a reference to "American cheese". It was cheddar, but I couldn't convince anyone at my table that it was named after a town (or district) in England.

Because cheddar cheese and American cheese are different. That is why you were unconvincing.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Judging from the amount of so called "Canadian bacon" on the shelves of supermarkets it appears that a majority of Canadians do not eat it. I suspect this is simply another US myth about Canada. like the "fact" that we are so damned polite.
Yeah, gotta watch those myths and stereotypes. lol

Back bacon is more expensive than regular bacon or those black forest/honey cured hams, I think. Neighbor says the BF/HC hams taste pretty close to back bacon. We used to buy back bacon until we moved here and started buying a neighbors pigs. We buy the pig, he raises them, butchers them, etc. and we cure them. They make supermarket meats taste like cardboard in comparison.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
So what is "American" cheese? Is it sharp, bland, purple, green, yellow?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Very bland I would say and almost white. It does not have the tang of cheddar.
aahh, kind of like monterey jack cheese, Velveeta, or Colby. Boring. I like your brie cheese, provolone, or that pinconey (or whatever it's called), though.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I always thought it was processed cheese, essentially like Velveeta of Kraft Cheese slices.

I think you're right on that one, Karrie...processed cheese...like Kraft slices. That's what I used to see advertised on menus down there..."A burger with 'American Cheese', etc. etc."

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, I'll take Eagle's word on what American cheese is. lol
That processed stuff is hardly what I would call cheese.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The worst is Cheez Whiz. I don't know how they can get away with calling it cheese. I never buy the stuff.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The worst is Cheez Whiz. I don't know how they can get away with calling it cheese. I never buy the stuff.
Well, you would be shocked at how many people buy it and they buy it in huge jars. I know that none of my grandkids will eat it. It's cheddar or other cheeses all the way. We all eat cheddar on our burgers. It's tastier than the melted cheese slices. Cheez Whiz is actually tasty on a hot dog. Maybe it's because neither one of them is great food.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Well, you would be shocked at how many people buy it and they buy it in huge jars. I know that none of my grandkids will eat it. It's cheddar or other cheeses all the way. We all eat cheddar on our burgers. It's tastier than the melted cheese slices. Cheez Whiz is actually tasty on a hot dog. Maybe it's because neither one of them is great food.

I once discovered a little item in a Mexican restaurant called chilie con queso...essentially a cheesy/peppery dip for chips, veggies, etc. I decided to try and make it at home and did OK with it. Used to make back bacon stacked on a bun (staying right on topic here) and use a thick verson of chilie con queso to dress the bun in place of cheese whiz...yum-my! Had to cut back a bit on the jalapenos when I served it to the kids, but they liked it better than Cheese Whiz.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Cheez Whiz is labelled as 'Process Cheese Product'.

It doesn't claim to be cheese, and there's a reason for that.

Yeah, there are actually quite a few reasons for that...they're all listed under "ingredients!" (Never actually checked to see if "cheese" was on the list...) :-?