Canadian Bacon...WTH???

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yeah, there are actually quite a few reasons for that...they're all listed under "ingredients!" (Never actually checked to see if "cheese" was on the list...) :-?

Cheese is the second ingredient on the list.
Modified Milk Ingredients is first, Water is third, then some other stuff which I can't be bothered to list.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We eat CheezWhiz at home. A jar lasts a long time though unless I do up salsa dip with it for company. I find it amusing to watch my friends who turn their noses up at CheezWhiz sit and inhale a bowl of it. lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Few processed foods are 'good' for you.

But some aren't made of ground glass like people want to imply either. lol.

A few weeks back we bought a large tin of hot chocolate mix. Yesterday I noticed that silicon dioxide was listed in the ingredients. Silicon dioxide is glass. Ive since read that powdered glass is added as an anticaking agent and to increase bulk but not affect the flavour. I guess if you grind the glass fine enough it won't hurt you.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A few weeks back we bought a large tin of hot chocolate mix. Yesterday I noticed that silicon dioxide was listed in the ingredients. Silicon dioxide is glass. Ive since read that powdered glass is added as an anticaking agent and to increase bulk but not affect the flavour. I guess if you grind the glass fine enough it won't hurt you.

lol... ground fine enough to not hurt you, most people would call it sand. That's not the first food application I've heard of for it either. I try to make sure I don't put it in my meals though. lol.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Actually, silicon dioxide is sand, and it's certainly not harmful to eat.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Actually, silicon dioxide is sand, and it's certainly not harmful to eat.

I probably got carried away by an old murder novel I read where one of the instruments used to kill off a couple of the characters was ground glass. Actually, silicon dioxide is glass and glass ground to sand sized granules is sand. I guess we've all eaten our share of sand.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I can make my own "cheese whiz" and it's better than Kraft's. lol

Queso:

• 1/2 stick of butter
  • 4 tbsp of flour
  • 1 tsp of garlic powder
  • 1 tsp of paprika
  • 1 tsp of chili powder
  • 1 tsp of cumin (ground or seed)
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 1 lb cheddar (cut to 1" cubes)
  • 1 tbsp peppers of your preferred flavor
  • Bag of tortilla chips
Combine the flour and spices and add it to butter.
Continue to cook over medium heat until light brown.
Stir and let bubble.
Remove from heat and add milk while stirring.
Return to low heat and add cheese.
When the cheese has melted and mixed in, add the peppers
Serve hot with the chips.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I can make my own "cheese whiz" and it's better than Kraft's. lol

Queso:

• 1/2 stick of butter
  • 4 tbsp of flour
  • 1 tsp of garlic powder
  • 1 tsp of paprika
  • 1 tsp of chili powder
  • 1 tsp of cumin (ground or seed)
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 1 lb cheddar (cut to 1" cubes)
  • 1 tbsp peppers of your preferred flavor
  • Bag of tortilla chips
Combine the flour and spices and add it to butter.
Continue to cook over medium heat until light brown.
Stir and let bubble.
Remove from heat and add milk while stirring.
Return to low heat and add cheese.
When the cheese has melted and mixed in, add the peppers
Serve hot with the chips.

Yummy...that looks like a very customized version of chile con queso...I'm gonna' try it! Thanks Anna!

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Silicone dioxide is not glass, but is an ingredient found in glass. It is actually a type of sand.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yummy...that looks like a very customized version of chile con queso...I'm gonna' try it! Thanks Anna!
Actually, I just realized that this thread is about bacon and that bacon bits might go nicely in my queso. lol

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
aahh, kind of like monterey jack cheese, Velveeta, or Colby. Boring. I like your brie cheese, provolone, or that pinconey (or whatever it's called), though.

Well not even as tasty as Monterey Jack Cheese. Processed for sure. Just a simple bland cheese, nothing spectacular at all about it.

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
Because cheddar cheese and American cheese are different. That is why you were unconvincing.

American cheese is light yellow/orange and somewhat bland, but I have had the same experience as GernB; heard cheddar (no mistaking the taste) referred to as American cheese in Utah, Washington and elsewhere.