Canada's New Trade Minister on Bill Maher

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Say what you want about Bill Maher

By lance on November 21, 2015 6:00 PM | 43 Comments

But he is very consistent.
"People like you are the problem." - Bill Maher to Crystia Freeland, Canada's Minister of International Trade.
And I see this is going over well in Liberal land:
Maher’s exchange with Chrystia Freeland, a member of the Canadian House of Commons, came after he opened up his program contending many of the Syrian refugees don’t share many of America’s cornerstone values.

“If you are in this religion, you probably do have values that are at odds. This is what liberals don’t want to recognize,” Maher said. “This idea that somehow we do share values that all religions are alike is bulls***.

That triggered a debate amongst Maher’s panel, but particularly seemed to offend Freeland who pushed back against the HBO host.

“Are you guys saying that the Muslim faith is by definition worse than other people’s?” she asked.

“Yes! The ideas,” Maher countered. “If 6 million people in a supposedly moderate country agree with ISIS. You know, I read this article recently — it was attacking me about my beliefs on such things. And they said, ‘Oh Bill, you paint with too broad of a brush.’ What about Indonesia? The moderate country of Indonesia. And then they went on to say, only 18 percent believe in honor killings.’ Really? So one out of five people in the moderate country your holding up as the moderate country believes if a woman is raped we blame and kill her?”
(...)

"You’re saying their ideas are bad?” a seemingly offended Freeland asked.

“Killing women for being raped I would say is a bad idea. Yeah, I do,” Maher fired back as the audience erupted in applause. “Hang me for it.”

WATCH: Bill Maher tells Chrystia Freeland: "This idea that somehow we do share values, that all religions are alike, is bulls***.� - The Rebel

this is the sort of arrogant shrill shrew that will help derail shiny pony.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I sure would like to see better from Canada's leaders.
That's what you get when you higher by quota, instead of merit.

But to be honest, I bet the whole caucus is just that dumb. I know their supporters are. Look at the Fluffer, he can't grasp the difference between Organized religion and people.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
First comment on the Youtube video:

"As an Egyptian Christian who grew up in the Arab world I want to applaud Bill Maher.

Yes, not all Muslims are bad. We had great friends who were Muslims. We also had friends as a kid who couldn't hang out with us anymore because their dad told them "not to hang out with Christians". We had to memorize the Koran in school. My mom was called a ***** in the street several times for not covering her hair.

There are many good Muslims out there, especially in the West. But the culture in the Arab world IS undeniably different from that of the West and to think otherwise is totally naive and ignorant. I wish I could hang out with our Canadian trade minister who was on this show making a fool of herself and all Canadians and tell her my story."

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

But to be honest, I bet the whole caucus is just that dumb. I know their supporters are. Look at the Fluffer, he can't grasp the difference between Organized religion and people.

But merit is no longer PC. Since stupid people make up a sizable % of the population they too are entitled to equal representation.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Meh This Chrystia person is operating with the typical fuzzy and cute but naive mentality of ideologues.

Birds of a fluff flock together?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
She held her own pretty well.

The other guys are stuck at focusing on the minority of extremists but didn't provide any compelling suggestions on how to reduce that extremism.

Also, percentages are more important than numbers.

If the worst country only has 8% of extremists (which is debatably lower), then this truly is an inconsequential thing to be concerned with.

And you can see that in the current response to Paris as well.

10 years ago we would have declared war on Assad but we learned from Iraq and Afghanistan and we're doing the smarter tactic of taking in refugees instead.

We're on the cusp of a major shift in international dogma wherein diplomacy and accepting migrants actually compromises the aim of terrorists.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
God, I just sat through the whole hour long Bill Maher TV show, not just the 7 minutes posted here.. what a useless stupid Bitch.

I love the part where she says; "The Liberals won with a landslide victory in Canada."

Maher actually had to explain to her that stoning rape victims was a bad thing.

This is the irrational, directionless, unthinking, completely indiscriminate mess that the Liberal Party has become.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

The other guys are stuck at focusing on the minority of extremists but didn't provide any compelling suggestions on how to reduce that extremism.

Also, percentages are more important than numbers.

If the worst country only has 8% of extremists (which is debatably lower), then this truly is an inconsequential thing to be concerned with.

And you can see that in the current response to Paris as well.

10 years ago we would have declared war on Assad but we learned from Iraq and Afghanistan and we're doing the smarter tactic of taking in refugees instead.

We're on the cusp of a major shift in international dogma wherein diplomacy and accepting migrants actually compromises the aim of terrorists.

If our own culture was outgrowing and out populating their culture I would agree with you. Unfortunately it is not.
Normally accepting migrants will work. Unfortunately we have a very mediocre growth at the moment and that is the real problem that's going to hurt us in this strategy.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
What was a Canadian member of Parliament doing on US prime time comedy/agitprop TV?

she's a long-standing media player - Freeland Media appearances (per wiki):

Freeland appeared several times as a panelist on Real Time with Bill Maher between 2010 and 2015. She has also appeared on The McLaughlin Group, The Dylan Ratigan Show, Imus in the Morning, Fareed Zakaria GPS, and The Colbert Report. She is a frequent guest on public radio's political debate program Left, Right & Center, produced by KCRW. In addition, Freeland was featured on a panel discussion on Tom Ashbrook's On Point regarding inequality and democracy in the United States. In June 2013 she gave a speech at the TED Talks, speaking on the subjects of economic inequality, plutocracy, globalization, and "the growing gap between the working poor and the increasingly disconnected mega-rich."

If our own culture was outgrowing and out populating their culture I would agree with you. Unfortunately it is not.
Normally accepting migrants will work. Unfortunately we have a very mediocre growth at the moment and that is the real problem that's going to hurt us in this strategy.

of course... one of the rationale's used by government's (including the Harper Conservative government) for increasing immigration rates is the low/declining birth rate of, as Stephen Harper labeled them, "old stock Canadians"... someone has to pay for those social contracts, hey!

you could simply chalk it up to being just an extension of the same ole anti-religion shtick of (atheist) Maher... except Maher shows his true colours too often. He's been called out for exactly what he is in regards to his so-called "liberal views" towards Muslims... Maher's clearly unsophisticated in his broad-brush application of extremism to all Muslims. Popular/well-known "religious scholar" Reza Aslan captures it succinctly within the following video... while also taking down a couple of CNN talking-heads for their same tactics:

Reza Aslan Slams Bill Maher

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Keep pretending she didn't loose the argument......you might even believe it some day...
But nobody else will.....except maybe the other Trudeau fluffer, Mentalfluff!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I find it distressing that you actually believe that crap. Show me the empirical proof of this concept.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
you could simply chalk it up to being just an extension of the same ole anti-religion shtick of (atheist) Maher... except Maher shows his true colours too often. He's been called out for exactly what he is in regards to his so-called "liberal views" towards Muslims... Maher's clearly unsophisticated in his broad-brush application of extremism to all Muslims. Popular/well-known "religious scholar" Reza Aslan captures it succinctly within the following video... while also taking down a couple of CNN talking-heads for their same tactics:

Reza Aslan has absolutely no credibility. He is an Islamic supremacist lying scumbag. Using what he said as a defense is accepting the words of a pathological liar as truth.

https://richarddawkins.net/2014/10/the-inner-workings-of-the-apologist-mindset/
On the Mechanics of Defamation: Sam Harris