Canada has very little patriotism...

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Honestly, not being anti-Canada, but from my observations very little Canadians have patriotism.

I mean absolutely nowhere near the USA.

In the USA patriotism is drilled into you at birth.

I mean I think most Canadians like their quality of life in Canada, but their is no real passion for our country.

And it seems the only patriotic thing we got is Hockey..

Thoughts? And is this good or bad? And should we put more importance into patriotism for Canadians.

(eg. Canada wouldn't care if someone burned our flag, in the USA it would be bloody mayhem)

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I still smile when I see the Ensign. I celebrate Dominion Day. I marvel we've not lost Victoria Day. I shop the small retailers and give a finger to the big box internationalists. That's just a start. I'm patriotic.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Well your probably older.

I need to clarify... the current generation.

My generation, our teens... their is no patriotism there.

Older people - yes. My mother is patriotic and remembered the school days where they would strap you if you dare disrespect the national anthem. And Vimy Ridge touches the older generation (baby boomers)

But my generation, nope, its a effort to stand up for the anthem...

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
You know, if you listen to conspiracists, there is the line that the current Mid-East operation is a cover for whetting the young. Getting them involved in all the raw and ugly edges of sacrifice from which patriotism is born. How can you be patriotic when you and your peers haven't suffered or lived with those who did?

espressoguy

Nominee Member
Mar 26, 2007
North
Honestly, not being anti-Canada, but from my observations very little Canadians have patriotism.

I mean absolutely nowhere near the USA.

I mean I think most Canadians like their quality of life in Canada, but their is no real passion for our country.

And it seems the only patriotic thing we got is Hockey..

Yes..this is something that has disturbed me for many years. The level of patriotism visa-vis the U.S. :canada:

Thoughts? And is this good or bad? And should we put more importance into patriotism for Canadians.

(eg. Canada wouldn't care if someone burned our flag, in the USA it would be bloody mayhem)
Yes..this is something that has disturbed me for many years. The level of patriotism visa-vis the U.S. :canada:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is a difference between quiet patriotism and fanatical nationalism. I have no trouble standing and singing Oh Canada. Hockey was mentioned, but if you go to any sports game, and the anthem is played, you will notice that everyone stands and 98 percent sing, including teenagers. I am proud of my country and saddened to see a child like westmanguy who has no pride, and no patriotism.

Reactions: hermanntrude

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well your probably older.

I need to clarify... the current generation.

My generation, our teens... their is no patriotism there.

Older people - yes. My mother is patriotic and remembered the school days where they would strap you if you dare disrespect the national anthem. And Vimy Ridge touches the older generation (baby boomers)

But my generation, nope, its a effort to stand up for the anthem...

Speak for yourself West. You and I are in the same generation and I have no problem standing for our national anthem, or singing along as loudly as I please, or standing in the bitter cold on Remembrance day ceremonies. Patriotism comes in many forms. Maybe our generation needs to learn more respect, littering would be a good place to instill some patriotism.

When my degree is finished I plan on enlisting in the RCAF. Some of my friends think I'm nuts, after all what does an agricultural degree have to do with war? To me, war is only one aspect of the Canadian Forces. It certainly gets the most attention, but there is also the disaster relief, community programs, search and rescue (which is what I hope to do), humanitarian missions, etc.

When I finish my time in service, I plan to move on to agriculture again. With some leadership skills from the forces, extra training on top of the education I'm taking now, I'd like to help other nations by implementing efficient technology for farming, and in retirement I can have my own little hobby farm, with the excess going to local farm markets.

Maybe I'm not the norm. All of my friends are the type who do have long term plans to use their education to make this country, and even other countries better places to live. You don't need to be a flag waving, leader loving follower to be patriotic. I think it's more patriotic to demand more from our leaders, even criticize them (which in recent years has seemed tantamount to treasonous.)

I think it starts with familly, most things do. I was raised to have respect for so many things and I will pass on that gratitude and love to my children.

EDIT: I still toy with the idea of running for political office some day as well, provided I don't get to cynical in the future...

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
The patriotism Canadians have is good. The patriotism some Americans have is like a government brand name gone too far. The first symbol a person should where is their individuality.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

In which case it's conditioning, not patriotism. I expect it's possible to drill ****-eating or head-banging into a person at birth. Doesn't make it a good thing. Maybe it's better if people learn about their country for themselves? It might mean a few of them don't like it, or don't appreciate it, but it does mean the participants actually make their own decision.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I have never gotten "teared up" for O Canada.

I have cried however on the US Anthem and "God Bless America"

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Well, from my observations, people around me could care less about loving Canada.

Its so wonderful to see Americans being patriotic. And on 9/11 how the entire nation stood still, and candles and flags reined through the nation. Their is unity and love for America.

Canada has never had that type of love for our nation. And I speak for my generation when I say that.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
In all seriousness here I wonder where people get their ideas about the USA
From movies? television? radio? where?
Some of the commentary people make about their 'idea' of what Americans do is just plain off the wall and rabidly berzerk.
The kids here are no more patriotic than kids in any nation unless we are talking about kids ruled by communism or dictatorship.
The national anthem is unsingable and nobody remembers the words - and nobody is even sure which song IS the national anthem.
Nobody gets 'drilled patriotism' just as Canadians do not get 'drilled patriotism' and this topic is yet another feeble attempt to pass highly imaginative opinion for reality.
The U.S. - its people - are not as Hollywood wish to portray. Sorry to blow your theories radiating insulting comparisons which happen to be incorrect.
Of course this is a Canadian forum and Canadians of necessity must be given priority in their opinions - even if they are at least 80% wrongo!

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Was that not patriotism on 9/11 when every home and person bored the American flag on their heart?

DoubleWitt

Nominee Member
Sep 5, 2005
Montreal
Canadians will sell out to the Americans for anything...! That just comes natural. If they were patriotic, they would hold on to their precious belongings...

You could publish a list of acquisitions from US buyers... starting from the oldest Canadian company HBC (337 years) and so on...

Canadians don't "hold" together. It is a well known fact. The word "patriotic" was banned from the dictionary. Anyways, when youth go to war, they don't even know what they're defending...! A country that's falling to pieces with endless saparation issues...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Westmanguy
Yup - that is the first time I had ever seen such a display of patriotism here and I have been here almost twenty years - a nation in mourning and in anger.
If patriotism was the flavor of that horrific event - then that was wholly appropriate....but hardly a daily display eh?
Do you believe Americans walk around with flags stuck on themselves? Bless your head! Such a country it would be - but it ain't so.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Personally, I think nationalism and/or patriotism is quite low in Canada due to regionalism. Canada is an extremely regional country, possibly due to isolation and the distance between cities and towns.