Calgary vs. Edmonton

Between Calgary and Edmonton, which city do you feel is the better place to live?

• Total voters

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We got lost in Edmonton. Can't remember the name of the street we were looking for but we had to detour 3 times because the street kept ending at a gorge and then starting again on the other side. I think there was a river in there somewhere too.
Clagary is soo easy to get around in. Slow going sometimes, though. If you get into the inside of the circle in the middle of Winnipeg, you almost need a tank to get back out. But it's easy to get around in, too.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Old burnt out hockey players in their late 40s-early 50s.

Uh, No...

‘City Of Champions’
Edmonton Tornado ‘Black Friday’
"On July 31, 1987, a devastating tornado (ranked F4 on the Fujita scale) hit the city and killed 27 people. The storm hit the areas of Beaumont, Mill Woods, Bannerman, Fraser, and the Evergreen Trailer Park. The day became known as "Black Friday." Then-mayor Laurence Decore cited the community's response to the tornado as evidence that Edmonton was a "city of champions," which later became the city's official slogan.
It has nothing to do with sports. It is meant to refer to the fact that Edmonton, after coming together as a community in response to the tornado, was a city of champions (i.e., all Edmontonians are champions). It just so happened that the Oilers and Eskimos were experiencing success at the same time."
"It also stands for the can-do attitude you’ll find in Edmontonians. Volunteers, assistance and donations of goods when disaster strikes (fires, etc.) where people have lost everything. “Edmonton was definitely the City of Champions; especially the everyday champions of kindness!” :-|

Spaney

Aug 23, 2009
In terms of cleanliness, I prefer Calgary much greater over Edmonton. Also, I find Calgary easier to get around. The roads in Edmonton can be very confusing, and make it hard to get anywhere, while Calgary is a more structured, better laid out city. This makes it easier to get to where you want to go, usually pretty quickly if traffic is running well.

If only Calgary had such a cool mall though :p

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In terms of cleanliness, I prefer Calgary much greater over Edmonton. Also, I find Calgary easier to get around. The roads in Edmonton can be very confusing, and make it hard to get anywhere, while Calgary is a more structured, better laid out city. This makes it easier to get to where you want to go, usually pretty quickly if traffic is running well.

If only Calgary had such a cool mall though :p
... and didn't have snow in the summer sometimes . :D

Spaney

Aug 23, 2009
If you're concerned about the weather, moving to Lethbridge or Medicine Hat is a good pick. While they are both very windy/gusty, the winters are often much warmer than that of Calgary, (or Edmonton for gods sake). I remember having Christmas Day with 10 degree C. weather and no snow whatsoever. The difference between Lethbridge and Medicine hat mainly is that Medicine Hat is much greener. Lethbridge (especially in the summer) can look so yellow and dead.

GernB

GernB
Oct 21, 2009
Lethbridge AB
What I would like to hear about is the weather comparison between Edmonton and Calgary. What about Lethbridge or Medicine Hat? I am considering Alberta for a family with 2 kids elementary school age and a wife from USA coming from rural SW Ontario and a millwright/farming background. Any suggestions as to which community might be an easier fit? By the way, I hate winter.

Lethbridge has about 90,000 people with a fairly large university and college and a somewhat deserved reputation as being the bible belt. Weather wise, it generally has mild to hot summer and mild to cold winters with the chinook giving breaks from the deep freeze. Agricultural industries predominate, we're not the oil atch here. Good schools. But it's windy! If you don't like the wind, this is not the place for you.

Medicine Hat is about 60,000. Has a college. The weather is probably the warmest in the province, usually 3-5 C warmer than anywhere else. Don't get quite the chinook effect as Lethbridge, but still some. Economy similar to Lethbridge.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Edmonton has dropped the moniker "City of Champions" for "City of Contenders."

The only differences between Calgary and Edmonton are the people, buildings, and location.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Edmonton has dropped the moniker "City of Champions" for "City of Contenders."

The only differences between Calgary and Edmonton are the people, buildings, and location.

And to a lesser degree the weather- when it's 40 below in Edmonton it's only 38 below in Cgy.

K9Dennis

Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton Definately, and btw, who has 5 cups compared to 1? The only way Calgary can win a cup is if someone scores an owngoal in overtime. Who cares if they don't get in the play-offs right now, its rich coming from you arrogant calgarians, you've won 1 cup, we've won 5x that, so what i am basically telling you is to shut up. Even in football we've won more Grey Cups, hence the word," City of Champions".

Joke: What do the Calgary Flames have in common with a teabag? Both are only good for one cup.
Joke: What do the Calgary Flames have in common with a priest? They both make 20 000 people say," Jesus Christ!

Who's the Capital City? Who has the Power? Who has more Championships? Who has a river valley!

EDMONTON

Its a no-brainer..

K9Dennis

Dec 17, 2009
Oo and did i mention, who has the biggest North American mall, ( was biggest in the world for 25years) and the largest indoor amusement park, need I say more?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Especially at 46 below zero..............................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

And downtown with a big longbox crew cab.8O

Tried getting to the cold lake weapons range this spring via the QE2 and I'll be damned if the next thing I know I'm right downtown Edmonton and no freaking signs telling you how to get the f**k out.

I was just trying to make it to Bonnyville.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
And downtown with a big longbox crew cab.8O

Tried getting to the cold lake weapons range this spring via the QE2 and I'll be damned if the next thing I know I'm right downtown Edmonton and no freaking signs telling you how to get the f**k out.

I was just trying to make it to Bonnyville.

Well, there are good and not-so-good things about both cities. In Calgary's case, it'll be a nice place once they get it built." (Yeah, it's old, I know)...

Edmonton has a very good street layout, generally speaking. You can figure out where something is located just by looking at the address. In Calgary's case, you need a compass to navigate...NW, SE, etc. A bit confusing to a tourist.

Calgary has the Ranchman's, which is a great place to go for country music. And drinks. And other things too.

Edmonton has 82nd (Whyte) Ave., which is a pretty funky place...very cool.

They both have lots of people with a "can do" attitude and a pretty good work ethic. And they're friendly too.

I dunno...I guess they're both pretty great places.