Buck-A-Ride A Massive Hit with Voters

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Did the flag say "F*ck Trudeau" or "Fuck Trudeau?"
I’m assuming it was option #1, but the human mind is an amazing thing.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
oredr the Itteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoetnt ting is taht the frist and Isat
Itteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can
be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it
wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the
huamn mid deos not raed ervey Iteter
by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Reactions: taxslave and petros

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A good idea for once.

Ontario Liberals promise to cut all transit fares to $1 until 2024

The Ontario Liberals say that if they form government after the June 2 election they would make all public transit fares $1 until 2024.

The party says the fare reduction would apply to "every transit system in Ontario," including all municipal services, as well as GO Transit and Ontario Northland.

The Liberals are dubbing their plan "buck-a-ride," a reference to a popular part of Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford's 2018 platform to offer "buck-a-beer."

So are the union bus drivers taking a cut in pay to offset the fare cuts? Or are non transit using taxpayers getting stung again?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
37% is hardly a landslide, unless it is a liberal getting it.
I hear you. The only poll that counts is on Election Day. Here’s what he was talking about I think. The ON Con’s are trailing with 37.3% but the ON Libs are leading with their 29.0% unless I’m misunderstanding this… which wouldn’t be the first time even in this thread.
1651626727764.jpeg
Maybe he means that the conservatives in Ontario are trailing behind the combined Ontario Liberal and Ontario NDP if they where to form a non-coalition coalition? I don’t know.

Reactions: taxslave and petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I hear you. The only poll that counts is on Election Day. Here’s what he was talking about I think. The ON Con’s are trailing with 37.3% but the ON Libs are leading with their 29.0% unless I’m misunderstanding this… which wouldn’t be the first time even in this thread.
View attachment 13576
Maybe he means that the conservatives in Ontario are trailing behind the combined Ontario Liberal and Ontario NDP if they where to form a non-coalition coalition? I don’t know.
Coalitions seem to be the flavor of the day . Anything to reach the magic six years .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
View attachment 13576

Wait for it..

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Looks like the Conservatives will win again 👍
Not when they're losing in the polls.
What polls?
Mentalfloss responded with, “You haven't seen them yet?” ???
Apparently not if I’m asking you “What Polls?”…. And the last poll I saw that counted stated this:
September 20, 2021
PartyLeader%
LiberalJustin Trudeau32.6%
ConservativeErin O'TooleMORE!!
Wait for it..
Waiting….but for what?
So…o’criptic one. Wait for what?

The 30 days until the ON Prov Election? Fall out from the 50 year old Wade vs Roe decision in the US and how that will be used as a bogeyman for deflection in Canadian politics? Could you be even remotely specific in your wisdom and prognostication?
Still waiting…& still not sure for what…

An Ontario election kicked off just a few days ago. Doug Ford and the Progressive Conservatives are way up in the polls. Campaigns obviously matter and who knows what other curveballs life has in store for all of us, but at the outset, with Ford way ahead, this really seems like an election to settle who’ll get to be the official opposition and who will be in third.

The NDP, to their credit, are talking about issues that matter. Housing affordability. Health care. Long-term care. Mental-health support. It’s all front-and-centre for their campaign. There’s all the left-wing flourishes and touches you’d expect from an NDP campaign document, but overall, it’s a pretty serious effort to offer voters a choice.

And, then there’s the Liberals. Yikes.

In a clear sign they have the pulse of a province ravaged by economic woes and a literal plague, the Liberals’ first major announcement — they billed it as “historic” — was a handgun ban that wouldn’t work and isn’t really in their jurisdiction anyway. And then there was Friday’s announcement of an (optional) return of Grade 13 for high-school students.

Well, okay. Education certainly is in the provincial jurisdiction. And no one denies that education was disrupted, repeatedly and badly, during the pandemic. Still, in terms of broad public appeal, it seems weird to talk about something that will only benefit high school students, who were better able to adapt to the disruptions of the pandemic than their much-younger peers, instead of tackling some of the major structural issues that are affecting everyone in Ontario, as the NDP has wisely chosen to do.

The Liberals haven’t released a platform yet. Maybe when they do, there will be a lot of serious, smart proposals in there. To date, we can only really judge them based on the announcements they’ve been choosing to make. Class size caps and discounted transit fares? Sure, okay, that makes sense (at least politically). But the rest? Meh.