Buck-A-Ride A Massive Hit with Voters

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
A good idea for once.

Ontario Liberals promise to cut all transit fares to $1 until 2024

The Ontario Liberals say that if they form government after the June 2 election they would make all public transit fares $1 until 2024.

The party says the fare reduction would apply to "every transit system in Ontario," including all municipal services, as well as GO Transit and Ontario Northland.

The Liberals are dubbing their plan "buck-a-ride," a reference to a popular part of Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford's 2018 platform to offer "buck-a-beer."

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A good idea for once.

Ontario Liberals promise to cut all transit fares to $1 until 2024

The Ontario Liberals say that if they form government after the June 2 election they would make all public transit fares $1 until 2024.

The party says the fare reduction would apply to "every transit system in Ontario," including all municipal services, as well as GO Transit and Ontario Northland.

The Liberals are dubbing their plan "buck-a-ride," a reference to a popular part of Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford's 2018 platform to offer "buck-a-beer."

So….what’s the real cost (?) & who pays the difference between $1 and reality?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So….what’s the real cost (?) & who pays the difference between $1 and reality?
Taxpayers would pay $2.20 / ride for the TTC (more when they decide to raise their fares and they will since they are running a shortfall -- milk the government for all its worth). For GO its distance base. One way fair to Union from where I am is $5.18 (government on hook for $4.18). The further out you go or the longer you travel the more the government is on the hook for.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
In the city that I reside in more than a decade ago the spread was more than seven dollars that the taxpayer supplemented the bus riders for. That’s why I was asking.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
In the city that I reside in more than a decade ago the spread was more than seven dollars that the taxpayer supplemented the bus riders for. That’s why I was asking.
Right now public transit is subsidized from all 3 levels of government. In Toronto, the Feds and province are paying less than they should based upon models of other transit systems in NA. So in a way this would increase the provincial funding of the service but not really help since it would be money otherwise gotten from the user ... unless the TTC decides that all fares should be $5 and get more real money from the province.

Administration of cash fares will be a joke too., How do you determine the government share when somebody throws 20 nickels into the fare box?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
September 20, 2021
PartyLeader%
LiberalJustin Trudeau32.6%
ConservativeErin O'Toole33.7%
Election day results are the only poll that matters, but I’m assuming that you are alluding to something like this:
1651581000477.png
…. Unless you are referring to something else in which case feel free to expand upon your claim.

Last edited: