spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
DC residents demand police action after 13-year-old killed
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Ashraf Khalil
Published Jan 10, 2023 • 2 minute read

WASHINGTON (AP) — The fatal shooting of a middle-school student has sparked public uproar as the nation’s capital struggles with rising tensions about violent crime and racial justice.

Police said they found 13-year-old Karon Blake early Saturday morning suffering from multiple gunshot wounds after having been shot by a local resident, who said Blake had been breaking into area cars.

According to the police media report on the incident, the resident “heard noises and observed someone that appeared to be tampering with vehicles. The male resident went outside, armed with a registered firearm, to further investigate. There was an interaction between a juvenile male and the male resident. During the interaction, the male resident discharged his firearm striking the victim.”

Blake died of his injuries at the hospital, and his death has sparked a fierce community response from activists demanding that the shooter be arrested and his name be made public.

The shooter has not been charged with a crime or publicly identified, but police and the U.S. Attorney’s Office say the investigation is ongoing.

A community meeting Tuesday night drew more than 300 angry citizens, packing a community center adjacent to Brookland Middle School, which Blake attended.

“I didn’t know you could just kill somebody over property damage. That’s just crazy,” said Sean Long, the teen’s grandfather.

Struggling to speak over the shouts of the crowd, Assistant Police Chief Morgan Kane of the Metropolitan Police Department said she could not share the shooter’s identity or any details about the investigation in progress.

“We want the same thing you want,” Kane said. “We want to find out what happened and whatever chips fall, they fall.”

Area resident Tracey Lucas addressed Kane and accused the MPD of taking a soft approach to what she said was vigilante violence against a young Black man. She compared the shooting to the 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman — an event that led to the creation of the Black Lives Matter movement.

“I don’t see why you are protecting his name,” Lucas said. “Knowing who the killer is does not breach this investigation.”

At one point, the crowd broke into a loud chant protesting D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser’s absence, shouting, “Where is the mayor?”

Earlier in the day, MPD Chief Robert Contee pleaded for patience and warned against misinformation and hysteria.

“There has been too much misinformation swirling around this incident,” Contee said. “Too many people have made assumptions about this case and it is unfair to the grieving family.”

The controversy comes at a delicate time for Bowser, who is regarded by Black Lives Matter and other activist groups as a staunch police defender. Last week, Bowser, who just began a third term in office, vetoed a sweeping revision of the city’s criminal code that would, among other things, reduce the maximum penalties for offenses such as burglary, carjacking and robbery.

In coming out against the bill, Bowser stated, “Anytime there’s a policy that reduces penalties, I think it sends the wrong message.”

The D.C. Council, which unanimously approved the revision, appears likely to override her decision.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
“I didn’t know you could just kill somebody over property damage. That’s just crazy,” said Sean Long, the teen’s grandfather.
I didn't know you could just go around being a vandal and thief without risk.

Thats crazy.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Everything? Every. Single. Thing?

Nah; they lie, I'll give you that, but not about *everything*. Clocks and twice a day and all.
What are our current federal leaders not lying about? Funny thing is my first thought was to agree with you, of course it's not EVERYTHING ... and my mind naturally looked for examples where they weren't lying. But honestly - i'm not really sure i can think of anything as far as their statements as leaders go.

I suppose it's possible freeland really did cancel her disney plus because inflation forced her to ... i will admit i have a little trouble believing that considering her income is about 5 times the Canadian average. Plus expenses.

But other than that? What has justin told the truth about? Not his environmental record, not about there being no business case for natural gas, not about inflation. Not about firearms, not about crime, not about his involvement with numerous companies he's had scandals about. Certainly not about his political opponents and absolutely not about covid.

So.. please, point to a few examples where he's telling the honest truth. If we can find even a few we could argue he's not lying about EVERYTHING.

• Love
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canadian Federal Politicians are honest at least once a year…on April Fools Day…Seriously.

That’s punchline day. Annually. Just watch. The day they give themselves raises while also raising taxes on the peons. Is it a coincidence that it happens on April Fools Day? I really don’t know.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Canadian Federal Politicians are honest at least once a year…on April Fools Day…Seriously.

That’s punchline day. Annually. Just watch. The day they give themselves raises while also raising taxes on the peons. Is it a coincidence that it happens on April Fools Day? I really don’t know.
Of course it is intentional when they know their constituents are not watching .

Reactions: Dixie Cup

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Brownies become Embers on Sept. 1, says Girl Guides of Canada
Author of the article:Jane Stevenson
Published Jan 11, 2023 • 1 minute read

The Girl Guides of Canada have announced Embers will replace Brownies as the name of the branch for ages 7-8.

The bid to make the change was announced back in November by Girl Guides of Canada after it heard from current and former members that the name Brownies was harmful and a barrier to belonging for racialized girls and women.

“We are excited to reveal that this branch will now be called Embers,” said Jill Zelmanovits, CEO, Girl Guides of Canada, in a statement Wednesday.

“After hearing from our girl, youth and adult members, it was resoundingly clear that this was the preferred choice.”

GGC will begin phasing in the Embers name throughout various websites, marketing materials and resources and the name will be fully adopted by Sept. 1, 2023.

Embers (ages 7-8) joins other branches of Sparks (ages 5-6), Guides (ages 9-11), Pathfinders (ages 12-14) and Rangers (ages 15-17) at GGC.

“With the new Embers name, we hope even more girls will see Guiding as a place where they can just be themselves, grow their confidence and explore their talents and interests,” says Zelmanovits in a statement.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

The Girl Guides of Canada have announced Embers will replace Brownies as the name of the branch for ages 7-8.

The bid to make the change was announced back in November by Girl Guides of Canada after it heard from current and former members that the name Brownies was harmful and a barrier to belonging for racialized girls and women.

“We are excited to reveal that this branch will now be called Embers,” said Jill Zelmanovits, CEO, Girl Guides of Canada, in a statement Wednesday.

“After hearing from our girl, youth and adult members, it was resoundingly clear that this was the preferred choice.”

GGC will begin phasing in the Embers name throughout various websites, marketing materials and resources and the name will be fully adopted by Sept. 1, 2023.

Embers (ages 7-8) joins other branches of Sparks (ages 5-6), Guides (ages 9-11), Pathfinders (ages 12-14) and Rangers (ages 15-17) at GGC.

“With the new Embers name, we hope even more girls will see Guiding as a place where they can just be themselves, grow their confidence and explore their talents and interests,” says Zelmanovits in a statement.
Embers is racist to red people.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

One report I read/heard was that "Brownies" was a name that didn't encourage black and brown people to join the organization.

On the one hand I can't disagree the optics of it.

On the other, as a former Brownie, the name was from the Fae creature in mythology and not meant to be connected to a race at all.

If they were going to do a new name, maybe they should have switched things up too, make the former "Brownies" the new "Sparks" and have "Embers" be the old "Sparks". (or maybe that's a bit of my OCD for stuff showing up :p )

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
On the other, as a former Brownie, the name was from the Fae creature in mythology and not meant to be connected to a race at all.
They've made MATH racist - honestly i'm amazed it took this long to get around to this.

obviously the idea that somehow 'brownie' is a reference to black people is ridiculous, and i seriously doubt ANYONE didn't join because of that. But - haters gotta hate and this is the latest political fight so here we are. this one's been brewing over a year now.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

Hmm, wonder what color their uniforms will be.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
SoCal university removes 'field' from curriculum, citing racist 'connotations'
Author of the article:Kevin Connor
Published Jan 12, 2023 • 1 minute read

Is the University of Southern California’s school of social work out in left field?

The school has announced its decision not to use the word “field” in its curriculum, saying it may have racist “connotations,” the New York Post has reported.

USC’s Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work said the change was made to support anti-racist social work.

Field, or field work, have links to slavery, the school says.

The word field will be replaced in the curriculum with practicum.

“This change supports anti-racist social work practice by replacing language that would be considered anti-Black or anti-immigrant in favor of inclusive language,” the school said in a letter.

“Language can be powerful, and phrases such as ‘going into the field’ or ‘field work’ maybe have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign. We are committing to further align our actions, behaviors, and practices with anti-racism and anti-oppression, which requires taking a close and critical look at our profession — our history, our biases, and our complicity in past and current injustices.”

Critics took to social media on the school’s decision.

One Twitter user wrote, “For someone who spent more than seven years at USC with two graduate degrees from this institution, I am so embarrassed at what’s happening there. I wonder how much of my money they spent on coming up with this amazingly useful change.”

• Sad
Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
“Language can be powerful, and phrases such as ‘going into the field’ or ‘field work’ maybe have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign.
Bullshit. What's next? I hear some slaves cooked food - are we doing away with the word 'cook'? Or food? Did they wear shoes? Can't say that any more i guess.

My family owned a farm - so i can't talk about my dad's youth working in the fields any more or my opa's? Because discussing my background is now racist?

This kind of thing only promotes racism. It doesn't address it.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
SoCal university removes 'field' from curriculum, citing racist 'connotations'
Author of the article:Kevin Connor
Published Jan 12, 2023 • 1 minute read

Is the University of Southern California’s school of social work out in left field?

The school has announced its decision not to use the word “field” in its curriculum, saying it may have racist “connotations,” the New York Post has reported.

USC’s Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work said the change was made to support anti-racist social work.

Field, or field work, have links to slavery, the school says.

The word field will be replaced in the curriculum with practicum.

“This change supports anti-racist social work practice by replacing language that would be considered anti-Black or anti-immigrant in favor of inclusive language,” the school said in a letter.

“Language can be powerful, and phrases such as ‘going into the field’ or ‘field work’ maybe have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign. We are committing to further align our actions, behaviors, and practices with anti-racism and anti-oppression, which requires taking a close and critical look at our profession — our history, our biases, and our complicity in past and current injustices.”

Critics took to social media on the school’s decision.

One Twitter user wrote, “For someone who spent more than seven years at USC with two graduate degrees from this institution, I am so embarrassed at what’s happening there. I wonder how much of my money they spent on coming up with this amazingly useful change.”

JFC this is stupid.

Archaeologists go into the field for field work for their practicum.

This is freakin' stupid and matches with the "Going too far" about things.