Black Lives Matter-Ugliness of Racism.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In all honesty I have not heard of this one until a few minutes ago. what is the background on this one and how did this thing happen?? Below is pulled from the post above mine:

MINNEAPOLIS — Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of downtown Minneapolis on Saturday demanding justice in the fatal police shooting of a young Black man, Amir Locke, during a “no-knock” raid on his apartment earlier this week.

Police have said the officers were exercising a “no-knock” search warrant, which authorizes police to enter private property without first alerting occupants or announcing their presence.

The warrant was issued in relation to a homicide probe led by detectives from the neighboring Saint Paul Police Department. Locke was not named in the warrant, and Minneapolis police have acknowledged it was unclear how or whether he was connected to that investigation.

Lawyers for Locke’s family said he had no criminal history and legally possessed a firearm at the time of his death.

The video of Locke’s arrest showed police unlocking his apartment with a key and officers shouting, “Police, search warrant, get on the ground,” as they entered.

An officer then kicks at the couch where Locke was lying and as Locke turns, his arm emerges from under the blanket with a gun seen in his hand. Almost immediately, police fired at least three shots.

Personally, some days I wake up easier than others…& luckily I have two Pitbulls that sleep on my bed…. So I do not feel the urge to sleep with a gun under my pillow…but holy shit!!
Less paperwork if ya just kill 'em. None of that tedious trial preparation.

True story. The hated redcoats against whom the American colonials rebelled were forbidden to serve warrants at night.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think the issue is the no-knock search warrant. If he was not a suspect, how did they get a warrant for his apartment? The judge who signed the warrant should be held accountable as well.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think the issue is the no-knock search warrant. If he was not a suspect, how did they get a warrant for his apartment? The judge who signed the warrant should be held accountable as well.
That's part of the issue. Another part is the presumption that a person with a gun in his own house is a deadly danger.

If you support the cops here, on the information provided, ya gotta support the Toronto cops who gunned down that gunsmith.

The protests aren't really about the particulars of this case. They're about the long, long history of police action against Black people going unaddressed.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's part of the issue. Another part is the presumption that a person with a gun in his own house is a deadly danger.

If you support the cops here, on the information provided, ya gotta support the Toronto cops who gunned down that gunsmith.
I never said I supported the cops here. I haven't viewed the footage but article says he was under a blanket which tells me he was likely waking up to a bunch of people in his house. Probably hadn't processed that they were even cops. Now why he had a gun in his bed with him is unknown but I suspect it was for self defense if other people came barging into his room in the middle of the night. I suspect he did not properly identify who was barging in by the time the bullets penetrated his body. With a no-knock warrant the cops are indistinguishable from ordinary thugs bursting into an apartment.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I never said I supported the cops here. I haven't viewed the footage but article says he was under a blanket which tells me he was likely waking up to a bunch of people in his house. Probably hadn't processed that they were even cops. Now why he had a gun in his bed with him is unknown but I suspect it was for self defense if other people came barging into his room in the middle of the night. I suspect he did not properly identify who was barging in by the time the bullets penetrated his body. With a no-knock warrant the cops are indistinguishable from ordinary thugs bursting into an apartment.
No, you did not. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you had. I'll try to be a bit more careful with my wording.

Everything else I agree with completely.

Reactions: taxslave

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Black Lives Matter finances scrutinized
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Feb 01, 2022 • 9 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
An Instagram image of Patrisse Khan-Cullors, a co-founder of Black Lives Matter Global Foundation Network (BLMGFN).
An Instagram image of Patrisse Khan-Cullors, a co-founder of Black Lives Matter Global Foundation Network (BLMGFN). PHOTO BY HTTP://INSTAGRAM.COM/P/CZQF3OTSDXM /Toronto Sun
Article content
News stories purporting to dig into the finances of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement appear to have a Canadian connection.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
In Toronto, BLM opened the Wildseed Centre for art and activism — a community hub unveiled with great fanfare last summer — at 24 Cecil Street.

The beautiful old red brick building was purchased for $6.3 million in July 2021, but a report in the New York Post claims a lack of transparency in its purchase.

The claim is that BLM transferred millions to a charity called M4BJ, a Toronto-based non-profit set up by Janaya Khan and other Canadian activists, to purchase the 10,000-square-foot property.

Khan is the spouse of Patrisse Khan-Cullors, a co-founder of Black Lives Matter Global Foundation Network (BLMGFN).

Khan-Cullers, again according to the New York Post in a 2021 story , purchased $3 million in personal properties in the U.S. but has denied using BLM funds for those purchases. She has stated she bought the properties with money earned through book sales and public speaking engagements.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
She resigned from BLM last May to focus on other projects about a month after the Post revealed her real estate wealth.

Two people who were to manage BLMGFN after her resignation never took on the posts, according to a report in the Washington Examiner.

Makani Themba and Monifa Bandele told the newspaper that they didn’t know who was managing the $66 million in the BLM coffers. They had not taken on the job because of disagreements with BLM’s leadership council.

The controversy seems rooted in a huge uptick in charitable donations to BLM after the death of George Floyd in May 2020.

Early in 2021, the BLMGFN told the Associated Press some $90 million in donations had poured in after George Floyd’s death; there are questions about where the money went and some confusion about how the organization is run, and by whom.

In Canada, two members of BLM resigned in January over the funding of the Wildseed Centre. A tweet from Sarah Jama on the subject states: “For BLM Canada to take money from BLM Global Network for a building without consulting the community was unethical. For BLM Canada to refuse to answer questions from young black organizers goes against the spirit of movement building.”

Requests for comment sent to Janaya Khan and to current BLM Toronto personnel Tuesday received no response.
I thought the money they collect both from individuals and governments was supposed to help out Black and/or minority communities? Why hasn't this happened? Likely because that was never the intention!! The blacks keep voting & supporting people who don't give a damn about them. Why is that?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I thought the money they collect both from individuals and governments was supposed to help out Black and/or minority communities? Why hasn't this happened? Likely because that was never the intention!! The blacks keep voting & supporting people who don't give a damn about them. Why is that?
Much like natives, certain elements make money by keeping their own down.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Much like natives, certain elements make money by keeping their own down.
When the Nisga got their treaty one native friend commented , they will party for a couple of days in celebration and then the chiefs will go back to being chiefs and the Indians will still be Indians .nAnd that seems to be the way it is going .

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Hundreds in Minneapolis protest police killing of Black man in raid
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:Feb 05, 2022 • 12 hours ago • 2 minute read • 9 Comments
Demonstrators take part in a protest for Amir Locke, a Black man who was shot and killed by Minneapolis police’s SWAT team, at a protest in Minneapolis, Minnesota, February 4, 2022.
Demonstrators take part in a protest for Amir Locke, a Black man who was shot and killed by Minneapolis police’s SWAT team, at a protest in Minneapolis, Minnesota, February 4, 2022. PHOTO BY TIM EVANS /REUTERS
Article content
MINNEAPOLIS — Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of downtown Minneapolis on Saturday demanding justice in the fatal police shooting of a young Black man, Amir Locke, during a “no-knock” raid on his apartment earlier this week.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The boisterous but peaceful crowd, chanting Locke’s name and the slogan “no justice, no peace,” rallied at Government Plaza in Minnesota’s largest city three days after Locke, 22, was shot on his couch by police.

The day after the killing, police released video footage from the raid, which showed Locke was holding a gun as he twisted beneath a blanket on his sofa after being roused by officers moments before he was slain.

Police have said the officers were exercising a “no-knock” search warrant, which authorizes police to enter private property without first alerting occupants or announcing their presence.

The warrant was issued in relation to a homicide probe led by detectives from the neighboring Saint Paul Police Department. Locke was not named in the warrant, and Minneapolis police have acknowledged it was unclear how or whether he was connected to that investigation.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
On Thursday, interim Minneapolis Police Chief Amelia Huffman told a news conference the county attorney’s office was reviewing the shooting, and that video from the incident appeared to show Locke’s gun pointed toward officers when they opened fire.

Activists at the protest said Locke had a right to possess a weapon in his own home and was never given the chance to disarm himself in the chaotic moments as police stormed into his apartment without warning.

At least 500 demonstrators assembled in below-freezing temperatures on Saturday, demanding an unconditional ban on no-knock warrants, the dismissal and arrest of officers involved in the shooting, and the resignation of the mayor and police chief.

A series of speakers led the crowd through chants demanding racial justice and denouncing police violence against Black people, who organizers said have been disproportionately targeted by heavy-handed, and discriminatory law enforcement tactics.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Live video footage of the protest from Reuters showed the crowd remained orderly, while police kept a low profile presence on the fringes of the rally.

On Friday, Mayor Jacob Frey responded to the Locke shooting, ordering a moratorium on “no-knock” search warrants, saying he was acting to “ensure safety of both the public and officers until a new policy is crafted.”

The Locke shooting was the latest of a string of incidents to put Minneapolis-area police department under scrutiny.

Almost two years ago, George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, was killed by a white officer who knelt on Floyd’s neck for over nine minutes during an arrest on suspicion of trying to pass a counterfeit $20 bill. Outrage over Floyd’s death sparked a nationwide movement challenging police brutality and bias in the U.S. criminal justice system.

The video of Locke’s arrest showed police unlocking his apartment with a key and officers shouting, “Police, search warrant, get on the ground,” as they entered.

An officer then kicks at the couch where Locke was lying and as Locke turns, his arm emerges from under the blanket with a gun seen in his hand. Almost immediately, police fired at least three shots.

Lawyers for Locke’s family said he had no criminal history and legally possessed a firearm at the time of his death.
View attachment 12035
they guy holding the sign likes to live dangerously. ;)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Probably the same reason MAGAhats do.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What makes you think it hasn't?

Y'know, this whole tactic of "find an incident of fraud, waste, or abuse and use it do declare the entire organization EEE-vil" is getting kinda old.