Biting the hand that feeds them

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You don't mind GE controlling the "green movement"?
They don't control my movement, thank you. I'm an anarchist. I don't join movements. Besides, I don't which "green movement" you are referring to. My take on climate change has to do with my personal experiences and observations with climate and what I see happening around me and on a global scale. I don't read newspapers or follow political agendas.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Petros mentioned apples what an intro. As an apple farmer we are currently fighting against
an GMO attempt to enter the market called the Arctic apple. Its an apple that doesn't brown.
The problem for us is, if they were to get certification we would lose our market share in the
foreign markets and at home. The industry has done its homework here. Aside from the over
all opposition to GMO fruit, we find people would label it as such and chose to buy someone
else's. In the United States they made the same application and American farmers are also
opposing it.
Now for the debunked version, Doctors no a days will find any facts you want as long as the price
is right. Research done by private corporations is not worth the paper its written on anymore.
Unfortunately we are in a position where our government and others are turning research over to
the wolves in the hen house situation.
Public trust in many of our institutions is waining and we just complain or roll over and play dead.
By the way many varieties are grafted true, but now and then Chance Seedlings come along.
One such variety is the Ambrosia apple. Its a tree that grew differently in an orchard in Cawston BC.
It was not a GMO and it was not grafted, it just grew that way. I know this to be fact as I once sat on
the Board that administers the property rights for this apple. Most also do not realize that 85% of all
new varieties of cherries in the world have been developed in Summerland BC and the property
rights are administered by PICO (Okanagan Plant Improvement Company) a company owned by BC
Fruit Growers.
As for GMO no one knows what the hazards or non hazards of the product are. We do know the hazards
of turning grain crops over to the multi national corporations are and they are not good. Within the next
twenty years the three things of value will be Food, Water. and Oil. the world will be held hostage to a
group of greedy, power hungry people and we will wake up in the feudal time of the twelfth century.
I am not a rabid environmentalist or tree hugger, but I go with those opposing GMO products because they
not only control the product they control the very seed it grows from and they are not there for the
betterment of farmers they are there to hold the farmer and consumer hostage.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You have a choice. Grow it or don't grow it. The consumer has a choice. Buy it or don't buy it.

It's not a control issue.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You have a choice. Grow it or don't grow it. The consumer has a choice. Buy it or don't buy it.

It's not a control issue.
The law says they don't have to label GMO products or those containing GMOs. How is the consumer to know which products they are consuming. The consumer has no choice if GMOs are protected by law from exposure. If Monsanto can sue farmers who choose not to grow their Frankenfoods, where is the choice? If pollen from your crop floats over to your neighbour's field and cross pollinates his crop, Monsanto sues him for using their product without their palms being greased. It is capitulate or be litigated into bankruptcy.

Monsantoland

World According to Monsanto on Vimeo

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Easy. It called a product name.

Where do GMO seeds come from?
Franken seeds come from Franken corporations. They are developed in labs where DNA of other species are spliced in.

GMO seeds don't self pollinate. They have to be purchased every year. You cannot save your own seeds for next years crop. That sounds like slavery to the corporation to me and many others who see that there is no choice. Have you seen a list of product names that contain or do not contain GMOs? The choices of products that have no GMOs is so small that most people can only avoid Frankenfoods by growing their own (if they can find heritage seeds that are not owned by Monsanto or their ilk).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Should Monsanto come up with a natural based pesticide that doesn't harm the environment rather than use GMO?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Should Monsanto come up with a natural based pesticide that doesn't harm the environment rather than use GMO?
Why is the world only black and white? Have you ever heard of Permaculture? It is the way of the future (if we have one).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Franken seeds come from Franken corporations. They are developed in labs where DNA of other species are spliced in.

GMO seeds don't self pollinate. They have to be purchased every year. You cannot save your own seeds for next years crop.
Malarkey. If they didn't pollenate, there wouldn't be a seed to harvest. You can grow the seed but then you've broken the contract you've signed and can't buy the RoundUp or Liberty and end up with sh*t yields thanks to broadleaf weeds, thistles, mustard, wild canola, millet, etc etc and dirty grain come time to sell your crop and you get nothing for it.

Whoever you got that from wasn't telling you the truth.

Weeds steal you moisture, weeds steal your soil nutrients, weeds shade you grains, they choke your roots.

I'll lease you a quarter section, you buy the landrace seed, diesel, fertilizer and equivalent to an equipment and land tax fee and I'll plant and harvest.

How much do you think you'll owe me after selling your crop?

Why is the world only black and white? Have you ever heard of Permaculture? It is the way of the future (if we have one).
Bacillus thuringiensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it's the source of the Bt gene.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What are my payments on the "Green" Tier 4A tractor and 60ft Seed Hawk opener system it pulls and the Massey 9500 to harvest?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
What are my payments on the "Green" Tier 4A tractor and 60ft Seed Hawk opener system it pulls and the Massey 9500 to harvest?

Why don't you just tell us?

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
Petros:
If they didn't pollenate, there wouldn't be a seed to harvest.
They are pollinated and there is a seed. But it's a sterile seed that won't germinate.

That's the least of the problems: unfair contracts and business practices can be changed by law.

The real problem is that GMO varieties sold by huge corporations to other huge corporations (ie grocery store chains, which have 90% of the food market). The farmers who grow unmodified crops can't compete; soon, nobody can afford to grow other varieties of apple, or wheat or cabbage, etc, and those varieties die out. Then, along comes a new fungus or virus that attacks the GMO crop and wipes it out. All of it. And there is no resistant varietyto replace that crop. So everybody starves.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The bottom line is profit, period. Some companies will do anything to make profit. Some of those will even subtly engineer ways around legalities that hinder them. And concern for life or the quality of life isn't always a biggie to companies.
Wifey and I avoid the crap for the most part, but aren't religious about it. We kinda like natural foods.

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Genetically-Modified-Foods

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Malarkey. If they didn't pollenate, there wouldn't be a seed to harvest. You can grow the seed but then you've broken the contract you've signed and can't buy the RoundUp or Liberty and end up with sh*t yields thanks to broadleaf weeds, thistles, mustard, wild canola, millet, etc etc and dirty grain come time to sell your crop and you get nothing for it.

Whoever you got that from wasn't telling you the truth.

Weeds steal you moisture, weeds steal your soil nutrients, weeds shade you grains, they choke your roots.

I'll lease you a quarter section, you buy the landrace seed, diesel, fertilizer and equivalent to an equipment and land tax fee and I'll plant and harvest.

How much do you think you'll owe me after selling your crop?

Bacillus thuringiensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it's the source of the Bt gene.

Logically we should be modifying the weeds then and not the food.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If the apple industry were to adopt and grow it we would lose considerable market share in
addition it would cause all kinds of problems for the organic industry. I am not saying don't
grow it because we are all going to die. I have seen this in the fruit industry before when the
impact comes it destroys the market and we lose even more farmers. Not in favour of it at
all and for one I will become a luddite I guess if they try to push it further. The Tree fruit industry
has submitted strong opposition to it. GMO is a problem as we have enough difficulty accessing
some markets already. Damn free trade keeps lowering the cost of food to keep the government
happy. Cheap food policy is not good. Maybe we should have a cheap auto mechanic industry
or a cheap trades and cheap medical industry, a cheap legal industry. Can ya hear the howling
already? The problem coming is severe, food, oil and water remember the three commodities
of importance in the next ten or so years. We have to understand the cost of production and the
value people receive. Walmart is a false world and and someday the truth will hit hard and it goes
for a lot of things.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Walmart is a false world and and someday the truth will hit hard and it goes
for a lot of things.
Right.
Globally people are living longer, healthier, more prosperous lives than ever before due in large part to a secure and abundant food supply. GMO crops play a significant part of that food supply.