BC Forest Fires

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I want to know if you are willing to state that the climate in your zone regarding planting has not changed since the 1960s.
We still aren't growing lemons.

Season length? Soil moisture? Soil temperature? Precip? Which crops? Which cultivars?

Is it any less risky to bank on spring red today as it was 50 years ago?

What's your point?

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
WHy he is on the losing side of the great AGW scam and how to extricate himself without losing face.

I bet I make more money investing within the system than you do fighting it. From a purely financial and capitalistic perspective you're on the losing side.

What's your point?

Most farmers I know (myself included) think spring comes way earlier and fall is longer with less participation in the autumn then it was back in the 60s and 70s. You are definitely in the minority with your opinion.

This report is a tad outdated but a good read from the perspective of what we know now rather than reports that talk about future projections. You might find it of interest.

http://www.parc.ca/pdf/research_publications/summary_docs/SD2008-01.pdf

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Question: How can my opinion be in the minority when I haven't given one?

Sure ya have. It goes something like this:

'Climatologists and their eco liberal supporters are perpetuating the biggest hoax ever on humanity. If the climate were changing then it is because the climate has always changed but by golly it is not and there is no evidence of it either.'

Fairly accurate?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In kelowna the smoke has moved in too my wife is having a time of it she has COPD
The heat and smoke take a lot out of her these days.
I was out thinning apples and the smoke burns the eyes and hold humidity in man its
sticky. Waiting for a wind change for sure

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nope. You have me all wrong. We can settle this fairly easily. I'll agree it is warming if you agree it is perfectly fine for it to be warming after 450 years of being the coldest period in 10Ka (10,000 years to the layman).

Do we have a deal?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
went from Courtenay to Campbell river today, hazy/smoky all over, but at times blue sky showing, and
much brighter, but not for long, its moving all the time, not just sitting up there.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A province on fire

Current estimates have 221,455 hectares burned in 865 wildfires, as an unrelenting heat wave grips British Columbia.
There are currently 184 active fires being fought across the province, with nine evacuation alerts and orders currently in effect, impacting more than 800 homes.
On Sunday, there were 27 fires started in B.C., with an extreme fire hazard rating in many areas, and hot, dry conditions continuing to present challenges to firefighting efforts.

A province on fire - BC News - Castanet.net

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Probably the last time it was this bad was in 2003, but as I recall, it was near the middle of August when it all got started.

yes, it has been so very dry here on the island, its just not normal. i'll have to do a rain dance,
but seeing that, could drive any rain that was thinking about coming this way, 'the other way'. on
second thought, no, and my neighbours would be very worried about me as well.

still hazy and muggy here today, drives one's energy down.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
yes, it has been so very dry here on the island, its just not normal. i'll have to do a rain dance,
but seeing that, could drive any rain that was thinking about coming this way, 'the other way'. on
second thought, no, and my neighbours would be very worried about me as well.

still hazy and muggy here today, drives one's energy down.

Wash your car.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Without that 15.5ft of rain a year life becomes a gamble in paradise. Just wait, things like to balance and in year or two you'll get 25ft for half a decade. Enjoy the dry life. A year or two without swampass won't kill anyone under 60.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Smoke from Northern Sask forest fires has made it as far as Boston. Today is far better for clarity. The pic boomer posted of burrard bridge looks nowhere near like what we've seen over the past 10ish days.

This forest fires is the biggest in SK history. The military has been called in to help fight the fire.

6700 evacuees from the LaRonge LaLonge Ile-a-la-Crosse and at least 50 other locations are being hosted in southern SK and AB.

As a social worker in healthcare my wife is racking up huge OT hours and volunteering ontop of that yet. She has even roped me into helping going to buy $700 worth of kids and adult gonch and socks. If you ever have the urge to donate goods to the Red Cross or other disaster relief agencies go with socks and gonch if you want to touch lives.

1200 housed in Regina by the Red Cross were given tickets to yesterday's Saskatchewan Roughrider game against the Argos which for most of SK's remote residents was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

On game day Taylor Field becomes Saskatchewan's "5th largest city", a little less than Prince Albert which for most is the biggest city they've ever been to which is usually for healthcare and once year shopping trips.

A bit of sweetness in a very bitter situation.

#Juan, Ihope the six evacuees on the island are okay in their hotel with laundry to keep their gonch and socks fresh as to not stink up the restaurant when eating.

I started watching Regina's news every night to see the latest updates on the fires, petros. It is really heart-wrenching to see this happening. We are used to fires here in La La land - as someone mentioned earlier we burn every year. So far, here in the Heartland we have been very very lucky - a couple of lightning strikes that were put out quickly. Hope our luck holds though with temps sitting at 30' and a forecast of 34' for tomorrow, the threat continues. The bush has been shut down for loggers - too much chance of something sparking and our forests are tinder dry.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Without that 15.5ft of rain a year life becomes a gamble in paradise. Just wait, things like to balance and in year or two you'll get 25ft for half a decade. Enjoy the dry life. A year or two without swampass won't kill anyone under 60.

15.5'????????????????? What are you talking about? Tahsis? or Port Renfrew?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
My parents live in Saskatoon and they say if you go outside, when you come back in you smell like you are around a campfire. Its burning pretty bad in northern Saskatchewan too.

We lost contact with Pinehouse a few days ago. I repeat lost contact :lol:.... There was a nasty one burning here yesterday between Mcarthur and Key Lake mines, but the rain last night might have put it out.

We finally got a plane in with food today, literally was one day away from living off the land 8)