BC Forest Fires

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There sure is a lot smoke around BC. I know there is on Vancouver Island. It has been so dry around here it could be like this for quite some time.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/b-c-wildfires-rage-across-165147989.html

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The air certainly smells smokey this morning and any car left outside car has a nice coating of ash on it. I don't know where the closest wildfire is........I should probably find out.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's pretty bad ALL over the lower mainland right now. you can smell and see the smoke.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Wildfire forces evacuation of 12 homes near Nanaimo, B.C.
The fire is 20 hectares in size and is not contained
CBC News Posted: Jul 02, 2015 7:22 PM PT Last Updated: Jul 04, 2015 5:21 PM PT

A forest fire near Nanaimo, B.C. is threatening homes in the suburban neighbourhood of Cedar.
A forest fire near Nanaimo, B.C. is threatening homes in the suburban neighbourhood of Cedar. (@kcco_dasher/Twitter)

544 shares

Facebook

Twitter

Reddit

Google

Email
A forest fire near Nanaimo, B.C. has forced roughly 12 homes to evacuate in the suburban neighbourhood of Cedar.

The fire is 20 hectares in size and moving in a southerly direction, according to officials. It started in a hay field, and spread to the grass and nearby trees.

Air tankers have been deployed to the area to fight the fire, which is releasing thick, grey smoke.

"Winds have died down, which is helping fire fighters in their efforts," the Town of Ladysmith said on its website. Four homes have been evacuated in Ladysmith and it has activated its emergency operations centre.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My parents live in Saskatoon and they say if you go outside, when you come back in you smell like you are around a campfire. Its burning pretty bad in northern Saskatchewan too.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Arrow Lakes are starting to haze in from the fires in the area. Wind changed direction over night. I said two months ago that BC was going to burn this summer. Looks like I was right.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
My parents live in Saskatoon and they say if you go outside, when you come back in you smell like you are around a campfire. Its burning pretty bad in northern Saskatchewan too.

A friend of mine was visiting her family in La Ronge SK, they were evacuated. She was posting that 7000 people in that vicinity have been evacuated to southern Sask.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
A friend of mine was visiting her family in La Ronge SK, they were evacuated. She was posting that 7000 people in that vicinity have been evacuated to southern Sask.

My parents said the same. They had a friend who lived about 10K south of there and said the fires were advancing and they couldn't stop them. Coming from the north.

I really hope these don't turn out to be the typical fires set by an out of work person who gets money for fighting fires. So many have been over the past several years.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Smoke from Northern Sask forest fires has made it as far as Boston. Today is far better for clarity. The pic boomer posted of burrard bridge looks nowhere near like what we've seen over the past 10ish days.

This forest fires is the biggest in SK history. The military has been called in to help fight the fire.

6700 evacuees from the LaRonge LaLonge Ile-a-la-Crosse and at least 50 other locations are being hosted in southern SK and AB.

As a social worker in healthcare my wife is racking up huge OT hours and volunteering ontop of that yet. She has even roped me into helping going to buy $700 worth of kids and adult gonch and socks. If you ever have the urge to donate goods to the Red Cross or other disaster relief agencies go with socks and gonch if you want to touch lives.

1200 housed in Regina by the Red Cross were given tickets to yesterday's Saskatchewan Roughrider game against the Argos which for most of SK's remote residents was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

On game day Taylor Field becomes Saskatchewan's "5th largest city", a little less than Prince Albert which for most is the biggest city they've ever been to which is usually for healthcare and once year shopping trips.

A bit of sweetness in a very bitter situation.

#Juan, Ihope the six evacuees on the island are okay in their hotel with laundry to keep their gonch and socks fresh as to not stink up the restaurant when eating.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Lightning. Spring came a month early this year and it has been super dry.

Spring did not come a month early or least that is what the 'climate change is a hoax to secure funding for unethical climatologists' crowd keeps assuring me of.

BTW, I asked you that very question repeatedly regarding weather and farming quite a few times recently and you wouldn't answer it before. Glad to see you acknowledge it now though.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Spring did not come a month early or least that is what the 'climate change is a hoax to secure funding for unethical climatologists' crowd keeps assuring me of.

BTW, I asked you that very question repeatedly regarding weather and farming quite a few times recently and you wouldn't answer it before. Glad to see you acknowledge it now though.

It's because of "the boy" this time it's el nino gordo. The fat kid.

What did you want to know?