Atheism: The reasons for it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You can believe anything you want about even death, that doesn't mean it will hold up.

When you're dead you're dead, it doesn't matter any more (for the dead), but everything you
were, when alive remains with those who you loved, and loved you, your life continues on, in
their hearts and minds, and helps them to also have a good life, as your good acts and thoughts about/with them, will be with them till they die, (and on it goes).
I am not concerned with your idea about life and death, it doesn't matter to me, I am happy
knowing what will happen to me and mine.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
In response to Prax's thread on the Christian fear factor, I would like to post my own thread exploring the reasons why people accept atheism. All I want to say about the fear factor post is that although I believe its totally incorrect, I understand why such an argument is believed.
The fear factor is only a part of it. The crutch factor is another as is the ignorance factor.

Here are my conclusions on why people have an unbelief in god.

First I want to mention the obvious ones real quick:

First, there are many perceived intellectual objections to christianity. The problem of evil, and the objections of many scientists, esp. concerning the science of evolution.

Second, there are emotional obstacles that sometimes obstruct the acceptance of christianity. Christian exclusivism, the doctrine of hell, and the hypocrisy of christians are emotional roadblocks to just about everyone. In fact, hypocrisy in the church probably repels people more than any other factor. Its sometimes said the biggest problem with christianity is christians!

Third, there are volitional reasons to reject christianity, namely, christian morality, which seems to restrict our choices in life. Since most of us don’t want to answer to anyone, yielding our freedom to an unseen god is not something we naturally want to do. (I'm going to talk a bit more about this).

But what are the real, underlying issues?
Does this mean that your previously stated conclusions aren't real ones?

To keep god out of their lives. I don't what to stop there though. Why keep god out of your life? Well.....

First, by admitting god, atheists would be admitting that they are not the highest authority when it comes to truth. Currently, in this technologically advanced world, scientists are viewed by the public as the revered authority figures -- the new priests who make a better life possible and who comprise the sole source of objective truth. Allowing the possibility of god would be to relinquish their claim of superior authority.
Well, truth is subject to individual interpretation. I don't revere scientists. I simply believe that no faith can explain the workings of the universe as well as science. I am not alone in this view either.

Second, by admitting god, atheists would be admitting that they don’t have absolute authority when it comes to explaining causes. In other words, if god exists, they couldn’t explain every event as the result of predictable natural laws. Scientists don't want to lose control to the theologian.
Nuts! Anyone who claims that they have "absolute authority" in explaining the universe's phenomena is just as delusional as those who believe in superstitious beings.

Third, by admitting god, atheists/darwinian scientists would risk losing financial security and professional admiration. How so? Because there’s tremendous pressure in the academic community to publish something that supports evolution. Find something important, and you may find yourself on the cover of national geographic or the subject of a PBS special. Find nothing, and you may find yourself out of a job, out of grant money, or at least out of favor with your atheist colleagues. So there’s a money, job security, and prestige motive to advance the atheist worldview.
IMO, this is a petty, shallow reason to be atheist. If one is intelligent enough to write about something for NatGeo or SciAm or something, it is just as plausible that they are intelligent enough to make loads of money in the drug trade.

BTW, there is a reason why informed people write about evolution as if it were real. It IS real.

Finally, and by far the most significant, by admitting god, atheists would be admitting that they don’t have the authority to define right and wrong for themselves. By ruling out the supernatural, atheists can avoid the possibility that anything is morally prohibited. For if there is no God, everything is lawful.
Dead wrong. There are societal laws, too, you know.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
When you're dead you're dead, it doesn't matter any more (for the dead), but everything you
were, when alive remains with those who you loved, and loved you, your life continues on, in
their hearts and minds, and helps them to also have a good life, as your good acts and thoughts about/with them, will be with them till they die, (and on it goes).
I am not concerned with your idea about life and death, it doesn't matter to me, I am happy
knowing what will happen to me and mine.
Why would you want your great, great relatives to waste time honoring your long ago existence? Count yourself lucky if it lasts two generations, and why should it last longer, are you trying to be remembered, does that add meaning to your life?
You place value on relatives, why would an offer that allows you to be there in person, instead of as a memory, be objectionable? It is not based on how this life goes (other than your gathering might move you close to the last from being closer to the first). God has a choice of a few at first and the majority later or a majority at first and a few later, He seems to be leaning towards a remnant first and the rest near the end of the gathering.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
as an atheist you answer to yourself alone. right or wrong
How does that put you outside of society? Depending on what your neighborhood is like, you live by a common set of rules for all intensive purposes. Can you define what is right or wrong for yourself or do you accept what the group wants (when you are outside your house and interacting in the 'general public')?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
MHz,

Just got back. Been busy. I noticed the face first. I knew there was something else but it took a few to see what it was.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Why would you want your great, great relatives to waste time honoring your long ago existence? Count yourself lucky if it lasts two generations, and w
[/quote
hy should it last longer, are you trying to be remembered, does that add meaning to your life?
To begin with, I don't refer to them as my great relatives, I am referring to my children and grand children, two generations is just fine, and they will have two generations, and on it goes. No, it doesn't add meaning to my life after I'm gone, it will give more meaning to
their lives, make them stronger and more fullfilled. The memory of strong parents and
grandparents feels good in the land of the living.
You place value on relatives, why would an offer that allows you to be there in person, instead of as a memory, be objectionable?
Not relatives, my close family. There is no such offer.

It is not based on how this life goes (other than your gathering might move you close to the last from being closer to the first). God has a choice of a few at first and the majority later or a majority at first and a few later, He seems to be leaning towards a remnant first and the rest near the end of the gathering.
I do not live or believe in those thoughts, makes no sense to me at all, my brain operates
on a much different plane, I am a child of the earth, there are no gods in my life and there
won't be any gods in my death, I walk with the rest of my brothers and sisters on this
earth, as a truly free human being, with no attachments at all to fantasy, or gods, or angels,
or heaven or hell.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Why would you want your great, great relatives to waste time honoring your long ago existence? Count yourself lucky if it lasts two generations, and why should it last longer, are you trying to be remembered, does that add meaning to your life?
You place value on relatives, why would an offer that allows you to be there in person, instead of as a memory, be objectionable? It is not based on how this life goes (other than your gathering might move you close to the last from being closer to the first). God has a choice of a few at first and the majority later or a majority at first and a few later, He seems to be leaning towards a remnant first and the rest near the end of the gathering.
Have you never been interested in your family roots? Don't you want to know where you started so to speak (aside from the womb). Both my husband and myself are very interested in our family roots. We go back several generations to people we could never have known and never will know (until we get to heaven :) that is)(I just couldn't resist that last tidbit). It is so interesting to go back and see where your family lived and where they came from. Gives you an idea of why you are where you are at.