At least 2,250 of Canada’s veterans are homeless due to alcoholism, drugs and mental

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
How about you taking your own advice.....
And please try to say something original in your quest for the ever important last word! huh?

We are discussing homelessness and veterans (at least until RCS brought up compensation). Do you have anything to add to the discussion or are you simply trying to derail this thread?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That would be a start.

A Vet who loses the use of her or his legs gets a lump sum payout, depending on the severity rating. In one case a wheelchair bound vet was rewarded $100,000. A hundred G's isn't a lot of money, especially if you are disabled. The new Veterans Charter pays out sums like this and kicks them to the curb. Think about this for a moment. An individual living in suburbia can't buy a house for a hundred G's, let alone a house that is wheel chair ready. Not everything is PTSD. Some of the guys my son helped off the Hercules in KAF were coming off minus hands, missing legs, others were blind. These were the ones you didn't see in the ramp ceremonies, for a myriad of reasons. Bad optics, family considerations, privacy issues. Nobody follows those vets to the hospital in Germany and eventually Ottawa.

I didn't hint anything. I was talking about Vets who came back from WWI and WWII, Korea and addressing what Curious Canadian was saying how veterans from those wars faired out better. I doubt they did, I have a good friend who is a war historian and the fact of the mmatter is that a lot of Veterans just suffered in silence and those issue were undoubtly a byproduct of that suffering.

I am going to sum it up this way. When Troops went to Afghanistan they would do a decompression after the tour in Cyprus. You want to know what the decompression involves. Getting sh!tfaced drunk because it's over. Then they go home. The Canadian Military, up until General Romeo Dallaire was found drunk on a park bench in Ottawa, did not even acknowledge PTSD and this was before soldiers were deployed to Afghanistan.

There was, and still is a culture within the military that looks down on injured soldiers. I went through this when I was medically released after being at the top of my game both as a soldier and an NCO. Once I blew out my legs, I became a liability and they couldn't get rid of me fast enough. Veterans Affairs shut me out and denied me any benefits for the three leg operations and subsequent things I would need to re-enter the work force. I wasn't even looking for a pension, I just wanted proper footwear and physical therapy that would help with the day to day pain I suffered (and still suffer by the way) in both my legs.

I had muscle hernias in both legs as a result of an injury called compartment syndrome which affects both Athletes and Soldiers.

They insisted I did not have compartment syndromes, because that would back up my claim that 12 years of humping a rucksack caused the injury, so they said it was it was hereditary and ignored that over 12 years of medical files and three operations the surgeons kept saying this looks like compartment syndromes.

I was denied my claims on appeals.

I didn't think I was going to lose, but I did and as a result I made a few mistakes when filing my claim. Mistakes VAC was sure to take advantage of. So, I became a veterans advocate. I got the help of a retired VAC employee and between the two of us we got as many injured soldiers help as we could. And we did, I started a blog that exposed the BS (Before there was such a thing) and we helped as many as we could.

In my case, I never saw anything, my file was and is red flagged by Veterans Review and Appeal Board after I brought so much heat down on them between 1998 and 2002. Not only did we expose a scandal where medical records were being shredded, but I appeared on the CBC with Ann Petre on National television to talk about it.

In regard to my own claim, I was told by insiders that the only way I would ever get a pension was if I hired a very expensive lawyer and took the government to court. This fight consumed me until the latter part of 2003 and after almost destroying my marriage and pushing me to the very edge, I finally abandon that fight to get on with my life. I had kids to raise and life to rebuild.

And that's what I did.

Since then a lot a things have changed, including the new veterans charter that basically stripped Wounded Vets of benefits.

What can we do? We can bring back an Ombudsman (which the conservatives pushed out) we can take care of people long term and we put proper training and SOP's in place for dealing with wounded soldiers. In the CF there have been some positive changes, but it does not go nearly far enough.

The investment far outweighs the cost.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

No doubt all the recommendations you mentioned would reduce the likelihood of ending up homeless.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We are discussing homelessness and veterans (at least until RCS brought up compensation). Do you have anything to add to the discussion or are you simply trying to derail this thread?

Excuse me for butting in, but is it remotely possible that the reason for homelessness might be lack of compensation? A wise person realizes that many issues are inter connected!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Excuse me for butting in, but is it remotely possible that the reason for homelessness might be lack of compensation? A wise person realizes that many issues are inter connected!
He talks about thread derails, and brings up his ex wife....he would just love it if we discussed that? the jerk!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Excuse me for butting in, but is it remotely possible that the reason for homelessness might be lack of compensation?

Its part of a complex issue. The reality though is that lots of injured workers are not adequately compensated and very small minority end up on the streets. There are a number of issues at play here but the fact remains (and it's been proven in Medicine Hat) homelessness can be eliminated and really doesn't matter whether you're a vet, a child, male, female, aboriginal or Ukranian.

He talks about thread derails, and brings up his ex wife....he would just love it if we discussed that? the jerk!

She was homeless. This is a thread about homelessness. I know you're not particularly bright so please do continue.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So this isn't really about homelessness but is instead about compensation. Gotcha.

Adequate compensation would also help to reduce homelessness. Combine RCS's recommendations which focus on monetary and physical medical needs, and mine covering most of the mental health aspects dealing with addictions, not only of the soldiers themselves but of their spouses, ex-spouses (who would have been married to them while they were serving in the military), their children and adult children so as to improve the soldier's family life and support network, and the more important bases are covered.

Even that still leaves us with a few gaps, mental health problems unrelated to addictions being one of them.

As for the military ombudsman, he should even have a research budget and exploratory powers along with the power to make recommendations on improving legislation.

Some might say that that is too much power. What if the Ombudsman goes too far in his recommendations?

I say so what. They'd only be recomendations. But by allowing him to make such recommendations, at least he provides food for thought to politicians. Even if some of his recommendations might be wrong-headed, some might be brilliant and might she'd light on overlooked matters.

On the matter of homelessness generally, any improvements to the military safety net could always be studied to see how it could be extended to the general population, especially indigenous, PTSD being one big commonality between them, especially with regards to transgenerational trauma through family violence.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Adequate compensation would also help to reduce homelessness...

I'm not convinced. Since mental health issues and substance abuse are "the" major issue when it comes to homelessness, I fail to see how giving more money is beneficial. It will just delay the inevitable outcome without proper intervention

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Its part of a complex issue. The reality though is that lots of injured workers are not adequately compensated and very small minority end up on the streets. There are a number of issues at play here but the fact remains (and it's been proven in Medicine Hat) homelessness can be eliminated and really doesn't matter whether you're a vet, a child, male, female, aboriginal or Ukranian.

Upon reviewing the O.P. I didn't see any mention of Medicine Hat, so I'm wondering why Medicine Hat was mentioned here, as it very likely has nothing to do with the issues. A bright person might detect that!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Upon reviewing the O.P. I didn't see any mention of Medicine Hat, so I'm wondering why Medicine Hat was mentioned here, as it very likely has nothing to do with the issues. A bright person might detect that!

Medicine Hat eliminated homelessness so it has everything to do with the topic. A bright person might "detect" that.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
She was homeless. This is a thread about homelessness. I know you're not particularly bright so please do continue.
The title of the thread for Dummies.... read the underlined!
[At least 2,250 of Canada’s veterans are homeless due to alcoholism, drugs and mental]

You have a reading comprehension problem?You keep trying to change the narrative of every thread to what you want to talk about
And you wonder why we all think you're a bloody Jerk

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm not convinced. Since mental health issues and substance abuse are "the" major issue when it comes to homelessness, I fail to see how giving more money is beneficial. It will just delay the inevitable outcome without proper intervention

Lack of money can drive a person to the streets even without any mental health problem. In those cases, adequate financial compensation helps.

As for addictions, yes, they can cause a person to spend his way into homelessness, and more money will only feed the addiction.

And the mentally ill soldier will need a different kind of support, maybe even someone else holding the purse strings to his money until he recovers. But the needs of the mentally healthy but just undercompensated sodier will be different. He can better be trusted to hold the strings to his own purse, but his problem is that there is no money in the purse to spend. Separate problems, but both need to be addressed since both can lead to homelessness.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
[At least 2,250 of Canada’s veterans are homeless due to alcoholism, drugs and mental]

You have a reading comprehension problem?You keep trying to change the narrative of every thread to what you want to talk about

Do you wish to discuss the topic of this thread or do you want to discuss me. Perhaps you and all the other folks I've embarrassed could start a thread about me and you can take your circle jerk hatefest there and leave these threads for the topic at hand. Just because you don't see a connection between homelessness in the general population and homelessness in the veteran population, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm sorry that that bothers you but some day you might get over it

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Sorry, but causes of homelessness among physically injured soldiers are the same as for physically injured miners.

And homelessness caused by addiction among soldiers (and probably some of their children) is the same as with indigenous Canadians: PTSD (and transgenerational trauma in the case of their children).

And then what about soldiers whose health problem is genetic? Should we kick him to the curb because it's not combat related? How would that differ from his civilian counterpart? It's all interrelated.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Lack of money can drive a person to the streets even without any mental health problem.

Of course but that is not a significant problem. Mental health issues are and handing over dollars to people with mental health issues is counter productive

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Medicine Hat eliminated homelessness so it has everything to do with the topic. A bright person might "detect" that.

A bright person would realize that has NOTHING to do with the issues here. I'd wager that British Properties doesn't have any homelessness either.

Of course but that is not a significant problem. Mental health issues are and handing over dollars to people with mental health issues is counter productive

Sometimes!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Do you wish to discuss the topic of this thread or do you want to discuss me. Perhaps you and all the other folks I've embarrassed could start a thread about me and you can take your circle jerk hatefest there and leave these threads for the topic at hand. Just because you don't see a connection between homelessness in the general population and homelessness in the veteran population, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm sorry that that bothers you but some day you might get over it

I'm well aware of the title of the thread. The point you seem to miss is that being a veteran and being homeless are not particularly tied to one another despite what you think. In fact, judging by the stats, many veterans are homeless in in spite of being veterans and not because of it. I understand that you don't want to discuss that. That's OK. My comments are meant for others.

lol.