Are we about to repeat WWI?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Being the most powerful, less dominant group, hopefully we will be spared in order to implement the new order and oppression on our American cousins. It might be fun.
This might be the one we lose....China and Russia are stockpiling iron ore. When nations are stockpiling as much as those two have it can mean only one thing. Armament. Lot n' lots of armament.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
This might be the one we lose....China and Russia are stockpiling iron ore. When nations are stockpiling as much as those two have it can mean only one thing. Armament. Lot n' lots of armament.
Generally, an invading oppressor picks the biggest, oppressed group to align themselves with. Stating that that was us, implies loss. We won't even try.

Spending and build up are synonymous with economic depression .....erp.... 'recession', naturally followed by war where someone ( to be clear - not us) emerges as the dominant super power - and this bears repeating, again, not us. :lol:

In the event of being the 'chosen' people, could oppress the french, too?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Generally, an invading oppressor picks the biggest, oppressed group to align themselves with. Stating that that was us, implies loss. We won't even try.

Spending and build up are synonymous with economic depression .....erp.... 'recession', naturally followed by war where someone ( to be clear - not us) emerges as the dominant super power - and this bears repeating, again, not us. :lol:

In the event of being the 'chosen' people, could oppress the french, too?
We've already been defeated economically by the EU and Asia. The next step isn't a very big one.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There's nothing stopping me or anyone from forming and funding an NPO. The problem is retrieving the monies for non-organizational use - something for my personal benefit.

The Buffet's and the Gate's of the world have a massive surplus of cash to accommodate all of their wants... I do not.

Most small businesses would qualify as NPO
Better than wasting snowballs we could just push some detroit rust back south. Just don't try for an environmental permit first.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was using 'troops' loosely to refer to all combat arms, army, navy and airforce combined.

Then a military of 400,000 troops spread over the three areas of concentration (air, land, and sea) is not provocative at all.

Also Canada has never given anyone a reason to fear them. People would not bat an eyelash to an increase in the size of the Canadian military. They would most likely applaud it!

Who would feel threatened? The US? Russia?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well Seagull. You've yet to really "show me" or give me "what for". Your pitiful attempts don't bother me as I don't mind teaching you about the world around you when I have to correct you. Insults have no impact on my life but when I've taught you something and turned a negative to a positive I'll always be two up on you.

Pedro...someday when you can communicate coherently you might be one step below me. On your best day that is.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Then a military of 400,000 troops spread over the three areas of concentration (air, land, and sea) is not provocative at all.

Also Canada has never given anyone a reason to fear them. People would not bat an eyelash to an increase in the size of the Canadian military. They would most likely applaud it!

Who would feel threatened? The US? Russia?

Canada's military alone is well within provocative limits, I agree. But we must remember that Canada is part of NATO, and so while Canada might not be provocative, NATO as a whole is well beyond provocative limits, to the extent that Russia has taken measures against it. And every additional troop added to the Canadian military is an additional member of NATO too.

One optionI could see there would be for Canada to take a stance similar to Sweden's (i.e. neutral invovlement). It could withdraw from NATO while still promissing to provide troops as needed to fulfil UN mandates. Since the UN represents practically all nations, such a role for Canada could not be construed as a menace to anyone that way.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Neutral status is out of the question with the present compromised political apperatus. That is plainly to be seen with respect to our involvement in the imperial programe, we are simply not soverign. Decoupling is tantamount to national suicide, we are onboard for the ride all the way to the bottom.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
One optionI could see there would be for Canada to take a stance similar to Sweden's (i.e. neutral invovlement). It could withdraw from NATO while still promissing to provide troops as needed to fulfil UN mandates. Since the UN represents practically all nations, such a role for Canada could not be construed as a menace to anyone that way.

Canada is not construed as a menace to anyone.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I hope we're not going to repeat WW1. When my grandfather came home from WW1, fighting to save Belgium, he was so impressed with the people of Belgium he said, 'If we ever do this agian, I'm on whatever side fights Belgium'.