And God Gave Them Over ...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The so called good book is full of murder and torture, and rape, so why the hell would I want to live by that kind of book? Can anyone answer that with a rational response? - Tony Lagergren

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The so called good book is full of murder and torture, and rape, so why the hell would I want to live by that kind of book? Can anyone answer that with a rational response? - Tony Lagergren

The Bible is the revelation of God in relationship with His creation, Cliffy. Because God is good and because creation is largely estranged from Him, the record of Creator and creation includes both good and evil. When we read the Bible, the Spirit of God enables us to discern the one from the other (good from evil) and to choose the good.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The Bible is the revelation of God in relationship with His creation, Cliffy. Because God is good and because creation is largely estranged from Him, the record of Creator and creation includes both good and evil. When we read the Bible, the Spirit of God enables us to discern the one from the other (good from evil) and to choose the good.

No, it is not. It may have started out that way, but it has been contaminated by man. It is not JUST the revelations of God.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"Nearly 40 years ago, in a famous speech at Harvard University, the great Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn said: 'There are meaningful warnings which history gives a threatened or perishing society. Such are, for instance, the decadence of art, or a lack of great statesmen.' ... The most common way God judges is with the natural consequences of our choices and behavior. This is especially true in politics, which is mostly downstream from – and a reflection of – the broader culture. In other words, especially in our country, we tend to get the leaders we deserve." The Election and the Judgment of God

"But when they said, 'Give us a king to lead us,' this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. And the Lord told him: 'Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.

Samuel told all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking him for a king. He said, 'This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle and donkeys he will take for his own use. He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the Lord will not answer you in that day.” (1 Samuel 8:6-18 NIV)

And God gave them over ...

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
No, it is not. It may have started out that way, but it has been contaminated by man. It is not JUST the revelations of God.

Based upon the revelations of God in creation, in the written record, in Christ and in my own encounters with Him by His Spirit, I have witnessed that God is wise, loving and powerful enough to successfully reveal Himself despite damage in some of the mediums He employs : )

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Cursed us with wealth, peace, and prosperity undreamed of in the vast majority of the world and the entirety of history.I like "murder anybody who doesn't agree with us." It's traditional.

The entirety of history?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've been cursed with unwarranted arrogance as well. Usa did not exist before 1776, and now on the eve of its dissolution it has no hope of matching the rumoured splender of former empires. What nation do you belong to anyway?

You don't even have gold bathroom fixtures do you?

Last edited:

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
In what ways has God given western civilization over?

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power." (2 Timothy 3:1-5 NIV)

People will be without love.

How should the body of Christ respond?

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." (2 Timothy 3:14-16 NIV)

Continue in what you have learned.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Motar. 99% of the scriptures you post were epistles written by Saul. I will exclude Hebrews because most theologions agree that Saul is not the author .

Having been raised religious like Paul, LL, I very often identify with this unique perspective of his. Isaiah is another Bible scribe who resonates with me. I am certain that anyone who reads the Bible with an open spirit, finds a certain affinity with one Bible scribe or another. This is due to the fact that the Author of the Bible hand-selected each scribe in order to package His message in such a way that all people could/can hear the word in his/her own native context : )

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Having been raised religious like Paul, LL, I very often identify with this unique perspective of his. Isaiah is another Bible scribe who resonates with me. I am certain that anyone who reads the Bible with an open spirit, finds a certain affinity with one Bible scribe or another. This is due to the fact that the Author of the Bible hand-selected each scribe in order to package His message in such a way that all people could/can hear the word in his/her own native context : )
Contradictions notwithstanding. I see.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
What inspires your prediction of doom for the US, db?

The factions and sub-cultures that make up the US are moving farther and farther apart. No one will give an inch, there is no chance of conpromise and each side thinks that the other one is the spawn of Satan. The centrifugal forces are almost unstoppable and another civil war, there is a distinct possibility. Ther Horseman with the scales runs the whole country. If Jesus is there, at all, he is not being heard.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
The factions and sub-cultures that make up the US are moving farther and farther apart. No one will give an inch, there is no chance of conpromise and each side thinks that the other one is the spawn of Satan. The centrifugal forces are almost unstoppable and another civil war, there is a distinct possibility. Ther Horseman with the scales runs the whole country. If Jesus is there, at all, he is not being heard.

I would concur, CC that cultural wars in the West are well underway as part of a planned chaos. Although the apostate church is loud and proud, the body of Christ in the US persists.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
"But when they said, 'Give us a king to lead us,' this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. And the Lord told him: 'Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.

Samuel told all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking him for a king. He said, 'This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle and donkeys he will take for his own use. He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the Lord will not answer you in that day.” (1 Samuel 8:6-18 NIV)

And God gave them over ...

In what ways has western civilization chosen this same path and experienced these same consequences in our day?