AIG Rec'd $170 billion in Bailout /Giving$165 million in bonuses

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
They could not work for AIG. Pretty hard for any company to survive when all or most of their employees are jumping ship. They could leave the US if the government wants to tax at that rate. I'm sure Toro could come back to Canada and be better off. Money knows no borders

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The bigger amount of money sits behind this issue.

We are all yakking about on this bonus payout which is only in the mere piddling millions.

Behind that?

Why what is behind that is quite billions of dolares allowed by the USA to print up paper money to pay billions to major European bankers that are calling in instruments backed by AIG.

Fascinating.

Be assured the news media investigation is barely touching the issues here.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
"A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon it adds up to real money." - Senator Everett Dirksen

How Big is a Trillion?

In the U.S., one trillion is written as the number "1" followed by 12 zeros (1,000,000,000,000). One year of clock time =
(60sec/min) x (60 min/hr) x (24 hr/da) x (365.25 da) = 3.16 x 107 sec

One trillion seconds of ordinary clock time =
( 1012 sec)/( 3.16 x 107 sec/yr) = 31,546 years!

Six trillion seconds equals 189,276 years. Now, as an aside, along with the nearly six trillion miles in the light-year, you might be interested to know that there are nearly five trillion dollars in the current U.S. national debt. Is it any wonder that our politicians in Washington are concerned?

(An interesting bit of trivia: If one were to count the national Debt at the rate of one dollar per second, he or she would have to use a mechanical counter to click off the digits. Why? Because, if he or she counted in the usual way, saying "one, two, three, …" etc., there would be numbers whose names are so large, that it would take more than a second of clock time to pronounce them. For example: "Nine hundred and ninety nine billion, nine hundred and ninety nine million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine," takes about 8 seconds to pronounce.)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How Big Is A Trillion?​
If my grandchildren were to ask me that question, I'd have a hard time answering them. It's not that I don't know the numbers. After all, I got A's in Calculus when I was in college. A trillion is 1,000 x 1,000 x 1,000 x 1,000. But the number is meaningless to me. I've never experienced anything that can tell me how big it is. I certainly can't imagine what a trillion dollars is worth.
About the biggest amount of money I can visualize is $100,000. I know what a $100,000 house looks like. I've seen lots of them. And, I suppose I can comprehend a million dollars. If I picture a city block with ten houses, each worth $100,000, that's a million dollars.
So how many blocks would I have to fill with these $100,000 houses to make a trillion dollars. Would it be the whole neighborhood? The city? More?
If someone built block after block of $100,000 houses, ten houses to a block, ten blocks to a mile—that's a hundred blocks per square mile—how big would the project be when it reached a trillion dollars in value? It would be 10,000 square miles—that's bigger than the State of Maryland.
And how about the size of the national debt? How much land would we have to cover with $100,000 houses to equal the $7 trillion debt? Picture Missouri. The 275 miles from St. Louis to Kansas City—covered with houses. The 325 miles from the Arkansas line to the Iowa line—covered with houses. All the farms, all the lakes, all the rivers—covered with $100,000 houses. That's what 7 trillion dollars looks like.​

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
You know my earlier posts about this being a USA constituitonal issue should not be lightly dismissed. Thanks to the US Senate, they are slowing down the mob tendency to find the nearest hanging tree.

Article One. Bill of Attainder. Ex Post Facto.

Both points?

Bill of Attainder refers to the history of years in the 1600s and 1700s of targeting individuals. Ex Post Facto refers to a law makining criminal something that was not criminal earlier.

If you research a 1000 years of jurisprudence you will understand that targeting individuals is inherently...automatically...always....often....absolutely unfair.

Same for Ex post facto laws. To make a law retroactive, after the fact is inherently unfair.

Think about it.

The only thing not making people think about it is that the conservatives seemed to have had no constitutional issues on the war on terror when water boarding in Guantanimo and eavesdropping on the wire or yet even sending prisoner terrorists to countries that countenanced abuse of prisoners were the constitutional issues of yesteryear.

But neither wrong absolves the other, eh?

Bill of Attainder.

Ex Post Facto Law.

Google it.

This is an educational experience for us the mob.

By the way, as you google this, make sure you develope a disdain and a huge suspicion of anything that begets outrage.

Outrage rarely is informed nor accurate.

Easy to dismiss.

But give it a second thought.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Turns out AIG was mistaken.

They didn't give out 165 million bucks of taxpayers' money to Arrogant, Incompetent, Greedy arseholes that lost 61.5 Billion (yep, that's with a "B") in the last quarter of last year.

Actually, AIG gave out 218 million dollars in bonuses.

Yep.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Turns out AIG was mistaken.

They didn't give out 165 million bucks of taxpayers' money to Arrogant, Incompetent, Greedy arseholes that lost 61.5 Billion (yep, that's with a "B") in the last quarter of last year.

Actually, AIG gave out 218 million dollars in bonuses.

Yep.

There's nothing worse than white collar criminals, more ruthless than all the gangsters in Vancouver and just as deadly, they just kill you in more subtle ways, liking gutting you financially in your golden years. If anyone deserves the death they are right up there with the perverts and pedophiles.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There's nothing worse than white collar criminals, more ruthless than all the gangsters in Vancouver and just as deadly, they just kill you in more subtle ways, liking gutting you financially in your golden years. If anyone deserves the death they are right up there with the perverts and pedophiles.
If you did try to charge them with a crime they'd still worm their way out. As long as you can afford the "charges" and "pay your debt to society" (which one?) you don't hae to worry.

As long as the legal system is based on money rich will never do time. Money is the reason "bills'" are drafted and "charges" laid under a bill and you can be released on "bond". If you go to court someday you find middle class person after middle class person who never get time. Only the poor get tossed in the clink. If you are working middle class in a relationship and break a law you'll never see jail. If you are poor, have no job and aren't married it's bye bye for you.

Monday to Friday, 9:30AM and 1:30 PM in any city you can pick a courtroom and just sit and watch. Go sometime and see for yourself what goes on. Listen to the words they use in their 'society" as they twist the words of our society to the benefit of their choosing. It's incredibly biased and a total waste of money.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Where's The 'Change'?

Lorne Gunter, National Post Published: Monday, March 23, 2009

So much for "change." Will Barack Obama's pledge of "hope" be the next to go? If this week's scandal in the United States over $165-million in retention bonuses paid to executives of the failed American International Group (AIG) insurance company proves anything, it's that politics as usual -- rather than the politics of change--dominates in Washington.
President Obama's promise to bring a new, bipartisan and meritocratic philosophy to government was an illusion. His vow to take money out of policy calculations and replace it with fact and reason was a farce.
Just who was the U. S. Senate's second-largest recipient of donations from AIG in the 2008 election cycle? Why, then-senator Barack Obama of Illinois, with over $100,000 received. And who was number one? Democratic Senator Chris Dodd ($103,000), who, as chairman of the Senate's banking committee, was responsible for inserting an amendment into President Obama's stimulus bill last month exempting all bonuses "executed on or before Feb. 11, 2009."

Never forget, Barry O'Bama is from Chicago and knows that money greases the wheels.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you did try to charge them with a crime they'd still worm their way out. As long as you can afford the "charges" and "pay your debt to society" (which one?) you don't hae to worry.

As long as the legal system is based on money rich will never do time. Money is the reason "bills'" are drafted and "charges" laid under a bill and you can be released on "bond". If you go to court someday you find middle class person after middle class person who never get time. Only the poor get tossed in the clink. If you are working middle class in a relationship and break a law you'll never see jail. If you are poor, have no job and aren't married it's bye bye for you.

Monday to Friday, 9:30AM and 1:30 PM in any city you can pick a courtroom and just sit and watch. Go sometime and see for yourself what goes on. Listen to the words they use in their 'society" as they twist the words of our society to the benefit of their choosing. It's incredibly biased and a total waste of money.

I agree with everything you say Petros. (Hey, time to update the avatar:lol::lol:)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The money manager has no choice. The US Gov't, because of handouts in the past, owns a deciding portion of AIG (about 80% of the company) actually make that US taxpayers OWN AIG. If US taxpayers don't want money lent to AIG to go to retentin bonuses..then they have the right to decide how that money is spent

Exactly. So far these AIG fat cats are keeping every penny. They don't want their names published either. If they are at the public trough they should be published. State workers and government workers have their names and salaries published.

One guy got a 1 million dollar bonus. For what?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think the 90% tax on bonuses don't go far enough. It should be a 99.999% tax on any company employee who receives a govt. funded bail out and insists on giving bonuses. It is not business as usual any longer... at least it shouldn't be.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Friday, March 20, 2009
Mark Steyn: AIG execs the new 'enemy combatants'

The first two months of the Age of the Hopeychange have been unexpectedly inept.

Mark Steyn
Syndicated columnist

Comments 31| Recommend 32

Are you outraged by these AIG bonuses?
No, no. For Pete's sake, you're an A-list congressional big shot. Try to get a bit of feeling into "outraged." The president's teleprompter puts it in italics, bold, capitalized and underlined: OUTRAGED !
That's better. Don't forget to furrow your brow and fume. No, not like a camp waiter when you send back the arugula salad drizzled in an aubergine coulis. We're looking for primal, righteous anger: You're outraged, OUTRAGED that bonuses are being handed out at companies the American taxpayer is bailing out. Yes, to be sure, the bonuses were specifically provided for in the legislation, but, like all busy senators and congressmen, you don't have time to read every footling trillion-dollar bill before you vote in favor of it. And yes, true, the specific passage addressing these particular bonuses was, in fact, added to the bill in your name, but that was nothing to do with you – you just did that because the White House asked you to, and just because their people called your people and some intern in your office drafted some boilerplate with your name on it is no reason for you to be denied 10 minutes of grandstanding on MSNBC. It's an outrage to suggest you're anything other than outrageously outraged!