Agnostics and Athiests...is there a more believeable religion in the world?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Personally, I prefer Woden and Thor - the Anglo Saxon, Norse, Germanic deities. Thor, son of Woden (Odin), has a chariot pulled by two goats.
You may notice that Thor is wearing little clothing as he checks on one of his goats that has gone lame. Gods need no clothing. Nakedness is next to godliness.

Naked goddesses may be the most believable. Prudence prevents pictures.

Look at all World Religions and you will find just one that is different in regards to justification/salvation/afterlife/eternity. All World Religions except Christianity "require" certain works, rituals, rules and/or traditions be met in order to attain a desired position after death. Christianity is the only one that does not require works. Many will argue that Christianity does have a set of rules one must follow, but that is not true. Now, what does that mean? Does that mean one can sport a red devil spandex suit and run through the community wreaking havoc and mayhem? See. Here is where the discussion of faith vs. works begins.

Nonsense! All religions are rule bound; especially, Christianity.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
transgression: an offense. Going 60 in a 30 zone. Transgression and Sin mean nothing unless you adhere to who created the law. A law cannot be transgressed if it does not exist. Or a person may feel above the law or Deity (in the context of this thread). If you care to eliminate what a God demands or even what village code demands, then it could be argued that cultures/societies have their own rules which are generally expected not to be transgressed. I should think most societies whether theis or atheist would deem murder a transgression of the law/moral law.

Transgression = sin= tort= wrong = crime, take your pick. Much of it is common sense.............if it harms someone else or has the potential to harm someone else, that might be your first clue! -:)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Botticelli's expression of the divine.

I have to agree with Taxslave. Religions are sets of beliefs which do not exist apart from man.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Botticelli's expression of the divine.

I have to agree with Taxslave. Religions are sets of beliefs which do not exist apart from man.

Ummmmmmmm, interesting concept! How are we to know what dogs or cats believe in however? Regardless, I don't have much use for someone who uses a belief as an excuse to behave like an A$$hole. -:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
In general, I don't have a problem with people that need a religious institution to instruct them, comfort them, support them or force them to evolve by whatever means. The average everyday person is probably better for it. If fear of burning in hell elicits better behaviour...I say good! We all need various prompts in order to help us to de-ego and help/assist our fellow human beings. For some it takes internal reflection, others have an innate sense of fairness and sharing, for others the promise of hell fire...for others the desire for love. Whatever makes us better, I'm okay with that regardless of what spurs it, be it: Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim, Christian, Aethist, Agnostic whatever inspires one to press forward in a positive way is okay by me.

As for Truth seeking and believability, that is an individual thing probably pre-programmed into us via our genes and environment and we likely have little choice as to the direction we go unless we are forced out of our mold but then that is circumstantial as well. For me it involves soul evolution for others, something else.

Spade I think your video format is facking up the thread...lol

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In general, I don't have a problem with people that need a religious institution to instruct them, comfort them, support them or force them to evolve by whatever means. The average everyday person is probably better for it. If fear of burning in hell elicits better behaviour...I say good! We all need various prompts in order to help us to de-ego and help/assist our fellow human beings. For some it takes internal reflection, others have an innate sense of fairness and sharing, for others the promise of hell fire...for others the desire for love. Whatever makes us better, I'm okay with that regardless of what spurs it, be it: Buddhist, Wiccan, Muslim, Christian, Aethist, Agnostic whatever inspires one to press forward in a positive way is okay by me.

As for Truth seeking and believability, that is an individual thing probably pre-programmed into us via our genes and environment and we likely have little choice as to the direction we go unless we are forced out of our mold but then that is circumstantial as well. For me it involves soul evolution for others, something else.

Good post, Sal.................as the old saying goes "the end justifies the means"! -:)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

The purpose of the OP is to draw in nonbelievers, apostates, and heretics into a discussion as to which set of myths is most believable. Okay, I'll play. None is.
I maintain that even the less than 20% of Canadians that attend regular religious services do so for a variety of reasons - some cultural, some for community, some habit, some for control of children, some for comfort, and, yes, some because of belief. However, the doctrine of hellfire for Christians and Moslems, for example, has failed to prevent believers from speeding, road rage, blowing one another up in wars, evading taxes, and on these forums, from being self-satisfyingly abusive and cantankerous.
So, did Mohammed rise up to heaven on a winged horse, was a Jewish mendicant preacher Gawd, will there be a rapture, is Uncle Chuck playing golf on the Elysian Fields? Frankly, no.
But are Canadians smart enough to understand the origins of those myths? Frankly, yes; even _______.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The purpose of the OP is to draw in nonbelievers, apostates, and heretics into a discussion as to which set of myths is most believable. Okay, I'll play. None is.
I maintain that even the less than 20% of Canadians that attend regular religious services do so for a variety of reasons - some cultural, some for community, some habit, some for control of children, some for comfort, and, yes, some because of belief. However, the doctrine of hellfire for Christians and Moslems, for example, has failed to prevent believers from speeding, road rage, blowing one another up in wars, evading taxes, and on these forums, from being self-satisfyingly abusive and cantankerous.
So, did Mohammed rise up to heaven on a winged horse, was a Jewish mendicant preacher Gawd, will there be a rapture, is Uncle Chuck playing golf on the Elysian Fields? Frankly, no.
But are Canadians smart enough to understand the origins of those myths? Frankly, yes; even _______.
Yes agreed.

Sorry for the miscommunication I did not mean the content of the video was facked, I mean that when you inserted the video it made the thread layout go all wanky... I don't have a bottom to my page in this particular thread and that usually happens when we inbed certain types of videos that have security codes attached. :D

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Ummmmmmmm, interesting concept! How are we to know what dogs or cats believe in however? -:)
For wolves, the alpha male is god.
For dogs, their master.
For cats, themselves.
If I had to choose among these three, I would side with the cats. After all, there is a spark of the "divine" in each of us.