ABEXIT - is it time for Alberta to think about leaving Canada?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If indivisible they'd never have had referendums would they?
That was Chretien's conclusion when they changed the laws about separation following the second referendum. The referenda happened because Ottawa was weak.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
... according to some Separatiste Quebecois who were defeated in two referenda, three decades ago. Clearly, it was a minority view.

Canada is indivisible.
It should have been a national vote and Quebec would have been out just like that. That is why it was only a local vote.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That was Chretien's conclusion when they changed the laws about separation following the second referendum. The referenda happened because Ottawa was weak.
And is stronger than ever with all Provinces being equally distinct and on equal footing with Quebec?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well then, we would just have to persuade Prince Rupert to come with us and develop that port further. Then we can erect border crossings at Hope and start charging Left Coasters for entering our territory. LOL.

That was my initial thought which I very quickly dismissed. (Have you driven the road from Terrace to Prince Rupert?) Would it even be possible to build a port the size of Vancouver? Kitimat would likely be a better choice...…………….barely!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That was my initial thought which I very quickly dismissed. (Have you driven the road from Terrace to Prince Rupert?) Would it even be possible to build a port the size of Vancouver? Kitimat would likely be a better choice...…………….barely!
The inlet just above them is a much better site and the waters are much more protected from the open ocean. Gingolx would be the best area.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The inlet just above them is a much better site and the waters are much more protected from the open ocean. Gingolx would be the best area.

The site looks wonderful but we're talking about replacing Vancouver, which would require at least 3 highway accesses with a total of probably 30 lanes. Could they be built in that country? How about an airport the size of the one in Richmond? Flat land is very scarce in that country! Kitimat would probably be preferable.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You haven't been paying attention to the heavy investment in the Port of PR, the rail twinning or the highway work over the past 10 years?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The site looks wonderful but we're talking about replacing Vancouver, which would require at least 3 highway accesses with a total of probably 30 lanes. Could they be built in that country? How about an airport the size of the one in Richmond? Flat land is very scarce in that country! Kitimat would probably be preferable.
Try googling Asia-Pacific Gateway

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
And is stronger than ever with all Provinces being equally distinct and on equal footing with Quebec?
What's your beef, again? Saskatchewan is finally a "have" Province after 150 years of "have not"? There's a good reason to commit treason?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You haven't been paying attention to the heavy investment in the Port of PR, the rail twinning or the highway work over the past 10 years?

Yes, I have and while at great expense it is possible to marginally improve the highway, Prince Rupert will NEVER be a port of Vancouver's dimensions or I'll eat my hat. Have you driven Highway 16 from Terrace to Prince Rupert?