Political Repression In New Orleans

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Violent protests over housing erupt in New Orleans

Protests against a City Council plan to tear down low-income New Orleans housing turned ugly Thursday, with police using pepper spray and stun guns to clear a crowd angry they weren't allowed into City Hall for the vote.
Protesters scuffle with police Thursday outside City Hall in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The City Council voted unanimously to greenlight the demolition of the city's four largest public housing developments, saying they are too damaged by Hurricane Katrina to allow residents back into them.
But many in New Orleans, including former residents of the developments, say they fear the local and federal governments will not guarantee similarly affordable housing be built in their place -- calling the demolition an effort to move poor people out of the city ...

With so many of this forum's radical right wingers demanding approval of Bush's invasion of Iraq in order to promote ''democracy'' and other Republican values, this should be another occasion for them to demand a Federal invasion of New Orleans in order to secure the people's right to vote in the City council proceedings.

On top of all that, since radical right wingers so readily approve of 2d Amendment rights, they should use this occasion to demand and defend the right of NO citizens to arm themselves and to use their weapons against those cops who restricted them from voting.

So let's hear from those righties --- let's see you defend the right of people to arm themselves, take machine guns, bazookas, tanks, Howitzers and any other weapon of choice to mow down those cops and the pols who suppressed the rights of the people there.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/20/neworleans.protests/

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Wow. That is seriously messed up. If it's what it looks like at face value... the police preventing constituents from voting because the City Council has decided the vote MUST go a certain way, then I think there needs to be a serious investigation.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Wow. That is seriously messed up. If it's what it looks like at face value... the police preventing constituents from voting because the City Council has decided the vote MUST go a certain way, then I think there needs to be a serious investigation.

Not quite. They were there to protest, not vote. Council voted to tear down damaged low income housing developments because so much of it was damaged even before Katrina, and that now it's much worse and dangerous to leave standing. They are to be replaced with mixed purpose family housing with plenty of low income units.

A few that were inside chambers caused so much of a fuss they were ejected and the fuss continued outside. Once they tried to tear down a gate and punched a couple of sheriffs in the face, they got the pepper spray.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Nevermind the fact that this was a rent-a-riot anyways, as the denziens of the Big Easy can't even be bothered to conduct their own protest.

Well, I can't get the link to post, but at any rate, these protesters don't even live in New Orleans. Google New Orleans rent-a-riot, and see what pops up.

Hopefully the next George Bush created hurricane will finally flush the Big Easy into the Gulf of Mexico.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I had a feeling that this was going to happen. I called it.

There was so much crime in that city. Now the city has the once in a lifetime chance to change the demographics. I knew they would want to replace the slums with moderate, high, and very little low income housing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nevermind the fact that this was a rent-a-riot anyways, as the denziens of the Big Easy can't even be bothered to conduct their own protest.

Well, I can't get the link to post, but at any rate, these protesters don't even live in New Orleans. Google New Orleans rent-a-riot, and see what pops up.

Hopefully the next George Bush created hurricane will finally flush the Big Easy into the Gulf of Mexico.

So true Thomaska. It was the earthy crunchy types protesting. It was activist groups and college kids. A proffessor even got tazed.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Yeah, yeah ... rent-a-riot. Have you ever stopped to realize it's a worldwide thing where haves just steamroller the have-nots? Maybe it doesn't matter to those of you safe and warm. Maybe it will one day. You never know what tomorrows bring. There, but for the grace of God, go you....

Woof!

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well mother nature took care of a big issue of blight with regards to New Orleans. Why would any city want to rebuild urban blight? They wanted their slums back. Well the former residents didn't but the Do-Gooders did. They have to keep them contained somewhere. That is how a liberal works. Hand out scraps...but don't let them in their neighborhoods.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
``They were there to protest, not vote.``

Did you bother to read the article? Their presence in that meeting would have altered the vote --- they have a right to be there and to influence the political inclinations of these pols thanks to the Constitution which still exists just in case you are not aware of it.

Only reich wingers employ rent-a-riot. Hard working patriots like those folks do not.

Anyways, where are the radical right wingers on this forum to affirm the 2d Amendment rights of these victims so that they can arm themselves and to shoot up the cops and pols who denied them their rights?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Why push out the poor? It was they who made Mardis Grais the thing it is today. New Orleans is a culture - it's own distinct society, one so much different from you. Where have we heard that before?...

Woof!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Why is it that only 278 people are allowed to vote? It seems kind of strange to me.

Since the mayor is a Dem I would guess that his hands were tied and he was forced to keep out those who would vote against the interests of the moneyed classes.

Too bad the 2d Amendment rights people didn't stand up and demand the right of people to take up arms in order to govern themselves. But, that would entail the use of principle that these right wingers simply do not have.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I had a feeling that this was going to happen. I called it.

There was so much crime in that city. Now the city has the once in a lifetime chance to change the demographics. I knew they would want to replace the slums with moderate, high, and very little low income housing.

Nice try, but anyone with the intelligence to be a high income earner also has the intelligence not to rebuild in a city below sea level, directly in the path of hurricanes.

Despite the desperate attempts to make this an issue, I think that the ONLY people who will live in Nawlins will be mid and low income earners. Anybody with the ability to go elsewhere probably already has done so.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nice try, but anyone with the intelligence to be a high income earner also has the intelligence not to rebuild in a city below sea level, directly in the path of hurricanes.

Despite the desperate attempts to make this an issue, I think that the ONLY people who will live in Nawlins will be mid and low income earners. Anybody with the ability to go elsewhere probably already has done so.

Nice try?! Before Katrina when was the last time this place was flooded out?

Nice try? Whay are they protesting? Because they are replacing the slum with high, middle, and low income housing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Why push out the poor? It was they who made Mardis Grais the thing it is today. New Orleans is a culture - it's own distinct society, one so much different from you. Where have we heard that before?...

Woof!

It was the poor that made Mardis Gras what it is today? Why do you fell you have to make up these things? The poor had nothing to do whatsoever with Mardis Gras becoming what it is. Look up the history on Mardis Gras before you just spout off.

Besides, drug dealing, gang banging, welfare gobbling people never added anything benificial to anything.

Yes that was I that said that. I am so happy to be in your head and have such an influence on you. After all it is I who made you what you are today.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It was the poor that made Mardis Gras what it is today? Why do you fell you have to make up these things? The poor had nothing to do whatsoever with Mardis Gras becoming what it is. Look up the history on Mardis Gras before you just spout off.

Besides, drug dealing, gang banging, welfare gobbling people never added anything benificial to anything.

Yes that was I that said that. I am so happy to be in your head and have such an influence on you. After all it is I who made you what you are today.

Geez ... you're the first *ahem* person I've ever encountered who speaks from THAT end - and actually believes it. I am vindicated! You truly ARE a piece of work....

Woof!

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Building new residences in a place that will inevitably suffer another disasterous flood is simply so idiotic......

Almost as idiotic as the idea of starting an armed, shooting rebellion over municipal politics.

Obviously I read a little bit about this.

The protesters seem a little out of line..........not to say stupid........

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Geez ... you're the first *ahem* person I've ever encountered who speaks from THAT end - and actually believes it. I am vindicated! You truly ARE an asshole....

Woof!

Well outside of insulting me you said nothing to back up your silly statements how the "poor" made Mardis Gras what it is today. But if you feel vindicated good for you. What is important is how you feel about yourself, regardless what everyone else does.