Hamas attacks Israel

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
After pausing funding to UNRWA, Canada will send another $40M in aid for Gaza
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Jan 30, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read

OTTAWA — Canada is sending another $40 million in aid to organizations that are helping Palestinians in Gaza after pausing funding to the UN’s relief agency in the region.

The bulk of the funding will go to the World Food Program, UNICEF, the World Health Organization, the UN Population Fund, the International Committee of the Red Cross and the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Some $5 million has been set aside for Canadian non-governmental organizations.

“Throughout this conflict we have centred our decisions on the lives of innocent civilians in this conflict,” International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen said Tuesday.

“This is a demonstration of Canada’s commitment.”

Canada has suspended “additional funding” to UNRWA, the UN agency that supports Palestinians in Gaza and employs about 13,000 people there, in response to allegations that some staff members played a role in the Hamas attack in Israel on Oct. 7.

There was international outcry when the agency’s director fired nine staff members suspected of being involved in the attack. The UN condemned what it called the “abhorrent alleged acts.”

An Israeli document detailing those allegations was obtained Monday by The Associated Press. It said seven UNRWA employees stormed into Israel, one took part in a kidnapping and another helped steal a soldier’s body. Three others are also accused of taking part in the attacks.

Ten were listed as having ties to Hamas and one to the Islamic Jihad militant group, AP reported. Two of the 12 have been killed, according to the document. The UN previously said one was still being identified.

The allegations could not be independently confirmed.

Hussen refused to say whether the $40 million announced Tuesday was money that would have gone to UNRWA, nor would he answer questions about when Canada last provided funding to the agency.

In the past, “the money for Gaza has been dispersed through UNRWA and they’ve used it to deliver the much-needed humanitarian aid,” he said. Long-term support for the agency will be affected by the pause, Hussen added.

UNRWA has said it will be forced to stop operations by the end of February if funding is not restored. Since the war started, most of Gaza’s 2.3 million residents have relied on the agency’s programs for basic survival.

A coalition of 20 aid groups, including the Norwegian Refugee Council, Oxfam and Save the Children, also called for funding to be restored, saying UNRWA’s delivery of humanitarian assistance cannot be replaced.

“Canada will continue to work with (UNRWA) and other donors to support the investigation into the serious and deeply concerning allegations, while maintaining our commitment to helping the most vulnerable Palestinian civilians in the region,” Global Affairs said in a statement.

The statement also called for a humanitarian ceasefire to allow more aid to enter the Gaza Strip and reiterated Canada’s call for a two-state solution in the region.

The Hamas attack left 1,200 people dead in Israel, and about 250 people were taken hostage in Gaza, according to Israeli authorities. It’s believed that about 100 hostages are still alive and being held in the besieged territory.

Since Oct. 7, Israel has bombarded Gaza from the air and sea and has carried out an extensive military operation on the ground. The Gaza Health Ministry estimates more than 26,000 Palestinians have been killed.

Canada has committed $100 million to humanitarian aid in Gaza so far.

— With files from The Associated Press

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Canada has committed $100 million to humanitarian aid in Gaza so far most of which has gone to Hamas & not to their people. Atta go Trudy!!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The big gap between the two sides appears to be over what would follow any agreed truce. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed not to pull troops out until "total victory", which he defines as eradicating Hamas.

Hamas says it will not sign up to any temporary truce unless Israel commits to a withdrawal and permanent end to the war, that Hamas started, Oct 7th 2023. Such a long pause would be a first since Oct. 7, when Hamas fighters attacked Israel, killing 1,200 people and capturing 253 hostages, precipitating an Israeli offensive that has laid waste to much of Gaza.

Qatari and Egyptian mediators presented Hamas this week with the first concrete proposal for an extended halt to fighting in Gaza, agreed with Israel and the United States at talks in Paris last week. Hamas has said it is studying the text and preparing a response.

"I expect that Hamas will not reject the paper, but it might not give a decisive agreement either," said the Palestinian official speaking on condition of anonymity.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The big gap between the two sides appears to be over what would follow any agreed truce. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed not to pull troops out until "total victory", which he defines as eradicating Hamas.

Well thank you Bibi for saying you're going to eradicate the Palestinian people.

There won't EVER be "total victory", thanks to his bullshit bungling.

Not only is Hamas going to destroy Israel, but its own government will, too.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well thank you Bibi for saying you're going to eradicate the Palestinian people.
But Not all Palestinians are Hamas, but all Hamas are Palestinians, etc…& Bibi isn’t saying he’s going to eradicate all Palestinians, but all Hamas in Gaza.

It’s been pretty adamant through this whole thread that there is a difference.

Between Hamas & Palestinian in the semantics I mean.
There won't EVER be "total victory", thanks to his bullshit bungling.

Not only is Hamas going to destroy Israel, but its own government will, too.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
But Not all Palestinians are Hamas, but all Hamas are Palestinians, etc…& Bibi isn’t saying he’s going to eradicate all Palestinians, but all Hamas in Gaza.

Yup. The laws of war are actually pretty instructive here. Kill bad guy. Consistent with the foregoing, try not to kill good guy or innocent. But it's gonna happen.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Yes it has.

But you've been on the side of Hamas = Palestinians and Palestinians = Hamas and no difference is there.

And if you hadn't noticed, Bibi has people in his government that have demanded eradication of all Palestinians. And he hasn't done shit to demand they either apologize, walk it back, or even say boo about their racism.

So yeah, might as well say HE said it too.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes it has.

But you've been on the side of Hamas = Palestinians and Palestinians = Hamas and no difference is there.
Seriously, quote it. Palestinians aren’t all Hamas, but all Hamas are Palestinians, etc…& that’s what I’ve been saying consistently.

I think that’s also what you’ve been saying consistently… or a version of that.
And if you hadn't noticed, Bibi has people in his government that have demanded eradication of all Palestinians. And he hasn't done shit to demand they either apologize, walk it back, or even say boo about their racism.

So yeah, might as well say HE said it too.
Might as well? Has he said that? Is he saying that? Is that what you expect him to say so it might as well be?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Seriously, quote it. Palestinians aren’t all Hamas, but all Hamas are Palestinians, etc…& that’s what I’ve been saying consistently.

I have.

And yet anytime you could have stood up for those Palestinians who AREN'T Hamas, you don't.

So while you may have been thinking that Hamas are all Palestinians but not all Palestinians are Hamas, you haven't said it, or stood with those who aren't. Fact is, you've stood firmly with those who want to see ALL Palestinians gotten rid of.

Might as well? Has he said that? Is he saying that? Is that what you expect him to say so it might as well be?

If Trudeau doesn't hold a member of his government to account for stupid or otherwise horrible shit they've done, do you get on his ass about it, or just let it slide?

Think hard on that.

Meanwhile:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...ousands-event-calling-countrys-res-rcna135863

No comment from Bibi about his people attending.

Free speech isn't a thing in Israel, either, at least, if you disagree with the current state of things.

Also, can't let those damn journalists report things:

"Historians, experts, and activists who use and study it say iterations of the phrase have had many meanings over the course of the Palestinian national struggle. Some of those sources said that in the context most people at ceasefire rallies are using it today, it likely indicates a desire for Palestinian liberation and dignity — as well as a vision for the future in which Palestinians have equal rights in their homeland. But to many Jewish people, it’s a mortal threat to the continued existence of Israel as a Jewish state.

The question of whether “from the river to the sea” is offensive or a call for liberation is a “Rorschach test,” as the writer Robert Wright put it in a recent Substack post. The answer is dependent less on the phrase itself than on the speaker, the listener, and the context."

Also, for education on the phrase "From the River to the Sea" which people like to assume it means a threat to Israel...

As a side note, it occurs to me that had Israel TRULY wanted to get their hostages back from Hamas, AND take out Hamas, not only should they have done it as a special ops, but NOT pushed every Palestinian from the full of Gaza, to just in the south. That, by pushing people to the south, and congregating them there, the likelihood of increases in civilian causalities and deaths increases exponentially. AND increases the chances of Hamas HIDING in such a crowded area.

So tell me, what logical, tactical sense did it make to push the North Gazans to the south, if rescue was the primary goal?

You can't. Because it wasn't.

The hostages were an excuse to finally rid the area of Gaza of the Palestinian "animals" so that Israel can take it over.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

I have.

And yet anytime you could have stood up for those Palestinians who AREN'T Hamas, you don't.
Am I required to, beyond pointing out that not all Palestinian are Hamas, but all Hamas are Palestinians? The Palestinians that aren’t Hamas…aren’t Hamas.
So while you may have been thinking that Hamas are all Palestinians but not all Palestinians are Hamas, you haven't said it, or stood with those who aren't.
Am I needed to. This goat-rodeo, for me & my interest beyond background in movies or books, started Oct 7th with…Oct 7th.
Fact is, you've stood firmly with those who want to see ALL Palestinians gotten rid of.
So that’s what I’m saying in Posts 261 & 492 & 494 & 1039 here when I state, “Not all Palestinians are Hamas, but all Hamas are Palestinians” then? I thought I was saying that though all Hamas are Palestinians, not all Palestinians are Hamas.
Free speech isn't a thing in Israel, either, at least, if you disagree with the current state of things.
…& it is somewhere else in the Middle East? Below is from Post#4 in this thread on guess what day?
In all honesty, I know a little about the region beyond it being background for movies and books.
The problem is, sure, we see how the Palestinians reacted...
That’s what I remember watching on Oct 7th. The music festival, the obviously raped and bloodied woman being pulled out of the back of the SUV cargo area & then being stuffed into the backseat, the German tattoo artist stripped naked and broken in the back of the pickup truck being paraded through Gaza like a trophy, and the reactions of the Palestinians on that street. The joy at missiles being launched into Israel, etc…
But what about…
Yeahbut’s…
Israeli's who reacted/celebrated when Palestinian homes are demolished illegally? Or kids died?
Don’t remember that GoPro footage from Oct 7th, but doesn’t mean it’s not out there somewhere. Yes this all began before that holiday Saturday morning last October, and we can What-About ‘till the cows come home, but this latest war or break in the cease-fire happened Oct 7th and it wasn’t the “bloodthirsty Jews” filming themselves raping and murdering.

Who were the antagonists that broke this latest cease-fire? Who attacked whom?

It’s a shit-show, and the fallout is ugly, and still Hamas hasn’t released the rest of the hostages from Israel from Oct 7th and still Israel it negotiating for their release…& it’s now February.

The conflict began with a Hamas attack on Israel on Oct. 7 that killed roughly 1,200 people. Militants took roughly 250 others hostage and the Israeli government says it believes at least 100 of them are still being held in the Gaza Strip.

Since the attack, Israel has bombarded the Hamas-controlled territory almost continuously. Health authorities there say the death toll has surpassed 26,000.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Oh yeah….from the same CBC Story linked to above….

The area west of the Jordan River includes the West Bank, which is administered by the Palestinian Authority.

The Palestinian Authority is a political entity separate from Hamas and is recognized by the United Nations as the only representative Palestinian governing body.

Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh said the Palestinian Authority is ready to help administer the Gaza Strip once the conflict is over.

But when asked, Shtayyeh wouldn't rule out involving Hamas in the administration of the territory? What??
So…Hamas & Israel aren’t at a middle ground in their positions quite yet to finding a cease-fire and end to the current war started Oct 7th, 2023….with Israel wanting its people kidnapped Oct 7th released and Hamas (Not all Palestinians are Hamas, but all Hamas are Palestinians, meaning the Palestinians that aren’t Hamas….aren’t Hamas) eradicated.

By that I’m assuming Israel means that, the Palestinians that ‘are’ Hamas to be eliminated, & the Palestinians that ‘aren’t’ Hamas NOT to be….etc…& when they (the Israeli’s) are comfortable enough in knowing that they’re not gonna get repeatedly attacked….(call it a security thing)….again…then they would discuss a two state solution, again, like they have repeatedly that the Palestinians have rejected every single time so far, etc…

Then, what was it that Hamas wanted again? Something about a river and a sea, and administering Rorschach tests to the Jews (the ones that could swim, anyway)?

HAMAS emerged in 1987 during the first Palestinian uprising, or intifada, as an outgrowth of the Muslim Brotherhood's Palestinian branch. The group is committed to armed resistance against Israel and the creation of an Islamic Palestinian state in Israel’s place. Sort of a two state solution without the other state, and what Israel is being accused of…
https://www.dni.gov/nctc/ftos/hamas_fto.html#:~:text=HAMAS%20emerged%20in%201987%20during,Palestinian%20state%20in%20Israel's%20place.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
There is no possibility for a two-state solution at this point
Western politicians insist there must be a two-state solution in the Middle East but where is the Palestinian leadership?

Author of the article:Brian Lilley
Published Jan 30, 2024 • Last updated 2 days ago • 3 minute read

On Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau “underscored Canada’s enduring support for a two-state solution” to end the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. In this instance, he was on a call with the Sultan and Prime Minister of Oman, Haitham bin Tariq Al Said but it’s a statement Trudeau has made frequently, Canada supports a two-state solution.

That sentiment ignores one simple but key fact – Israel has no partner for peace on the Palestinian side.

The idea of a two-state solution, which has been supported by every Canadian government since 1948, and which is the stated policy of most of our allies, sounds like a good idea. At this point in time, it is simply not practical and won’t be until Israel has a real partner for peace.

“To tango, you need two sides,” former Knesset lawmaker Shakib Shanan told myself and the group of journalists I was travelling with through Israel last week.

We are sitting in his living room in Horfeish, a small Druze town of about 6,500 north of the West Bank and just south of the Lebanon border. Shanan is a former member of the Knesset for the Labour Party who represented this area filled with religious minorities.

“Israel does not have a partner,” he said multiple times. “Peace, you don’t do between friends, peace you do between enemies.”

Shanan, a former advisor to the government of Ehud Barak and longtime peace activist is one of many who expressed the same opinion last week, there is no possibility for a two-state solution at the moment because Israel has no partners on the Palestinian side.

That’s the main point that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was making earlier this month when he was blasted for rejecting a two-state solution.

“The Israeli state must have security control over all the territory west of the Jordan River. It’s a necessary condition, but that clashes with the principle of Palestinian sovereignty,” Netanyahu said.

Despite the outrage expressed by western democracies, he’s absolutely right. Israel being in control of the security of Gaza and the West Bank would take away sovereignty from the Palestinians, which would mean something less than full statehood but what are the alternatives?

Hamas is still currently in control of Gaza and quite frankly if elections were held in the West Bank, they would win there as well. The leadership of Hamas have been clear, they plan to attack Israel over and over again without stopping until they have what they want, which is all the land from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea.

The Palestinian Authority, supposedly in charge of the West Bank, is often seen as a more moderate force but they aren’t exactly a partner for peace either. The PA still engages in a policy known as pay to slay.

Families of those who commit suicide attacks or who are killed while attacking Israel receive pensions paid for by the Palestinian Authority. Those who go to jail as part of the armed struggle against Israel are paid a stipend, given a military rank and promoted the longer they are in prison.

These payments are higher than the average wages earned from working in the West Bank, meaning the PA, the moderates, encourage attacks on Israel in more ways than one.

So, with those options, who will act as Israel’s partner for peace? Which of these groups will look after the functioning of the Palestinian state, providing the services the population will rely on and also provide for security to ensure there are no future attacks on Israel.

The answer is that there are none.

Until that changes, until there is leadership on the Palestinian side that does not look to eliminate Israel with violent attack after violent attack, there can be no two-state solution.

Western politicians can utter the soothing words, two-state solution all they want, unfortunately, those words are meaningless in the current context.

Reactions: Retired_Can_Soldier

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hamas is still currently in control of Gaza and quite frankly if elections were held in the West Bank, they would win there as well.
…& do they want a Two State Solution? Hamas, or the people (let’s call them Palestinians) that would vote for Hamas?
The leadership of Hamas have been clear, they plan to attack Israel over and over again without stopping until they have what they want, which is all the land from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea.
So the Two State Solution is the answer, like the “The Peel Commission” (1937) two state solution that the Palestinians rejected?

…or maybe like the “The UN Partition Vote” (1947) two state solution that the Palestinians rejected?

…or maybe like the “Camp David Summit” (2000) two state solution that the Palestinians rejected?

….or maybe like the other two state solutions proposed (there is a pattern) that I’m assuming that the Palestinians rejected in favour of more “Intifada’s” because Peace in the Middle East, etc…
The Palestinian Authority, supposedly in charge of the West Bank, is often seen as a more moderate force but they aren’t exactly a partner for peace either. The PA still engages in a policy known as pay to slay.
…& they’d instill Hamas back into power in Gaza “to help out” in Gaza’s administration after this latest (third?) Intifada.

“But when asked, Shtayyeh wouldn't rule out involving Hamas in the administration of the territory.”
Until that changes, until there is leadership on the Palestinian side that does not look to eliminate Israel with violent attack after violent attack, there can be no two-state solution.
Hmmm….that would be an impediment, wouldn’t it? So far, The Palestinian side has always lost and Israel has always won, so Israel & Palestinian (the West Bank & Gaza) still exist…but what happens if Israel loses just once? Here’s how the Jewish people are spread nationally:
1706869622994.jpeg
So the entire Middle East combined must fall into the 1% Other category. Ironically German has more Jews in it than all the combined countries in the Other category. What does that what say about those “bloodthirsty” Jews?

Comparatively, Islam is the second-largest religion in Israel, constituting 1.707 million and around 18.1% of the country's population as of 2022. The ethnic Arab citizens of Israel make up the majority of its Muslim population, making them the largest minority group in Israel.