Hamas attacks Israel

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Garage shelves, and they serve a purpose :p
Ours probably improve the structural integrity of the outbuilding as a whole, & it’s a new garage within the last decade or so…& they’re background with a clean fit & finish to their construction and permanence. I just thought it funny in her question above.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Much of my family remains Catholic, with all that bred in Irish-Catholic guilt, probably. LOL
But I'm sure they're praying for me too.

I ridicule the Catholic church because they threw my mom out of the church after she divorced the man who used to beat her and us and abducted her at gunpoint with the intent to kill her and my future stepfather. Us was me and my older brother. IN 1968, our other brother fell through the ice and drown, he was seven years old. My older brother had to walk home and tell my mom that our brother was gone. When the priest arrived, he told my brother to stop his crying, to be a man and push it down. Not verbatim, but pretty close. By now, you're thinking RCS has a grudge, but to be honest, I never abandoned the religion until after my mother died, and even then, it was gradual. I moved to BC after my father went up the river for armed robbery, kidnapping, and a bunch of other offenses. My mom divorced my father, married my stepfather and we carried on. In the town I lived in, there were two classes of people, Christians and Sinners. Many of the descent jobs were available to the born-again type. You know the type, I'm talking about? "Do as I say, not as I do." "Let me cast the first stone." The hypocrisy I saw in that community still didn't turn me off of God or wanting to believe. For me, there came a point that I looked at organized religion, looked at the politics, and its history, and that was enough for me. That was about six years ago.

Petros, you are free to worship whatever religion you see fit, I cast no judgment your way or at anyone else. When someone criticizes someone's faith, it feels personal, and I apologize for overlooking that. To clarify, I am not talking about people of faith, as much as I am about political structure within organized religion that is often corrupted.
Im not devout. Im trying to remember who died last to rember the last time Ive been to Church.
I had my own issues about no God after the MS set in and losing key people in life to tragedy. My career gone, business gone my hobbies sports gone all before 35. Pretty much 80% of every form of physical exertion gone. Im down to 5-10 years if cancer doesnt come back or blood clots finally taking me out.

Now that I have nothing but time I have the opportunity to actually see and appreciate the big picture with a better clarity after filtering the business of religion from the core beliefs of religion.

The world makes more sense and angels and demons stick out like sore thumbs.

As above, so below.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Garage shelves, and they serve a purpose :p
Ours probably improve the structural integrity of the outbuilding as a whole, & it’s a new garage within the last decade or so…& they’re background with a clean fit & finish to their construction and permanence. I just thought it funny in her question above.
Not only is Beau Again not a carpenter there is nothing of use on those flimsy shelves worth storing.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not only is Beau Again not a carpenter there is nothing of use on those flimsy shelves worth storing.
Probably 80% of the stuff on our shelves shouldn’t be kept either… but that’s a story for another thread. Just because we have the storage space doesn’t mean it has to be absolutely full plus plus…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Those 3/4 x 1/2 popsicle sticks are pointless.
If done right, they don’t have to be though. On the right side is a “floating bench” with no visible legs (but the weight of the bench and anything on it is still transferred to the floor) done cleanly.
1707065633430.jpegI know I can stack hundreds of pounds of whatever onto it without a sag or a creak or any danger of collapse…& still have no front legs to hinder storage under the bench. That’s a slab of slate on it in the picture.
1707065749612.jpeg

Anyway, “Hamas attacks Israel” is the thread.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If done right, they don’t have to be though. On the right side is a “floating bench” with no visible legs (but the weight of the bench and anything on it is still transferred to the floor) done cleanly.
View attachment 20993I know I can stack hundreds of pounds of whatever onto it without a sag or a creak or any danger of collapse…& still have no front legs to hinder storage under the bench.
2' x 8' 2" × 4" boxed and 1/2 OSB sheeted shelf will support a 1 tonne no problem. Once naild to a sheer wall with pony ends its a multi tonne unit. Its doesn need the popsicle sticks.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
2' x 8' 2" × 4" boxed and 1/2 OSB sheeted shelf will support a 1 tonne no problem. Once naild to a sheer wall with pony ends its a multi tonne unit. Its doesn need the popsicle sticks.
I use 3/4” plywood for bench tops & shelves, & all wood screws (Robertson) with not a single nail anywhere, trussed every foot or so.

Even before the tops go on, they’re ridiculously overbuilt knowing it’ll all be buried & invisible, and I’ll not regret not overbuilding them at some future date.
1707069178247.jpeg

Anyway, thread is “Hamas attacks Israel.”

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tell that to my wife .
Empathy. 64’ of shelving, not counting the 16’ under the shelf-wall itself, and always full of “stuff” beyond beyond…
1707069618788.jpeg
…with an “L” shaped attached bench at 40” height carrying onto the tool chest, with a buried reinforced block for a future bench vise…when I find the perfect minimum 10” old-school vise some day.
1707069867204.jpeg
1707070251582.jpeg
With the only visible leg by the tool chest boxed back to the wall along the floor to have “zero bounce” at the vise that I still haven’t found yet…regardless of how hard something is beaten upon.

{I start at the floor & build framing up the wall (regardless if bench or shelf) boxed to transfer weight to the floor, then “build out” from the frame attached to the wall. Might seem counterintuitive initially but when the goal is strength, the bench transfers force to the concrete floor instead of throughout itself}

Anyway, sorry, & “Hamas Attacks Israel”…

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I use 3/4” plywood for bench tops & shelves, & all wood screws (Robertson) with not a single nail anywhere, trussed every foot or so.

Even before the tops go on, they’re ridiculously overbuilt knowing it’ll all be buried & invisible, and I’ll not regret not overbuilding them at some future date.
View attachment 20995

Anyway, thread is “Hamas attacks Israel.”
Why so much blocking and a horizontal post?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Empathy. 64’ of shelving, not counting the 16’ under the shelf-wall itself, and always full of “stuff” beyond beyond…
View attachment 20996
…with an “L” shaped attached bench at 40” height carrying onto the tool chest, with a buried reinforced block for a future bench vise…when I find the perfect minimum 10” old-school vise some day.
View attachment 20997
View attachment 20998
With the only visible leg by the tool chest boxed back to the wall along the floor to have “zero bounce” at the vise that I still haven’t found yet…regardless of how hard something is beaten upon.

{I start at the floor & build framing up the wall (regardless if bench or shelf) boxed to transfer weight to the floor, then “build out” from the frame attached to the wall. Might seem counterintuitive initially but when the goal is strength, the bench transfers force to the concrete floor instead of throughout itself}

Anyway, sorry, & “Hamas Attacks Israel”…
Id show my garage bench and basement bench and racking but its chaos. Had a pipe go wrong so had to do a one side to the other shift.

Maybe I can get Hamas to come help the same way the Morons will come help if I ask? Smith and Young may have started a cult but dammit, those true LDS types have hearts of gold.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Id show my garage bench and basement bench and racking but its chaos. Had a pipe go wrong so had to do a one side to the other shift.

Maybe I can get Hamas to come help the same way the Morons will come help if I ask? Smith and Young may have started a cult but dammit, those true LDS types have hearts of gold.
Empathy. Mines upside-down ‘cuz it’s February & a Winter dumping zone to be cleaned up in the Spring as usual.
Why so much blocking and a horizontal post?
Why not? Not much extra work at the time, & buried under the top out’a sight, out’a mind, and it would never not (intentional double Negative) be strong enough, & appealed to my sense of humour, with somebody decades in the future, decided that they want to remove it after I’m gone & going, “Holy Shit! What the Hell? What was this guy thinking? Maybe it should just stay.” Permanence. It’ll be someone’s surprise in the future.

Anyway, “Hamas attacks Israel, etc…”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Hamas shows signs of resurgence in parts of Gaza where Israeli troops largely withdrew weeks ago
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Najib Jobain And Samy Magdy
Published Feb 03, 2024 • 4 minute read

RAFAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — Hamas has begun to resurface in areas where Israel withdrew the bulk of its forces a month ago, deploying police officers and making salary payments to some of its civil servants in Gaza City in recent days, four residents and a senior official in the militant group said Saturday.

Signs of a Hamas resurgence in Gaza’s largest city underscore the group’s resilience despite Israel’s deadly air and ground campaign in the four months since the deadly Oct. 7 attack on Israel that triggered the war. Israel says it’s determined to crush Hamas and prevent it from returning to power in Gaza, an enclave it has ruled since 2007.

In recent days, Israeli forces renewed strikes in the western and northwestern parts of Gaza City, including in areas where some of the salary distributions reportedly took place.

Four Gaza City residents told The Associated Press that in recent days, uniformed and plainclothes police officers deployed near police headquarters and other government offices, including near Shifa Hospital, the territory’s largest. The residents said they saw the return of civil servants and subsequent Israeli airstrikes near the makeshift offices.

The return of police marks an attempt to reinstate order in the devastated city after Israel withdrew a significant number of troops from northern Gaza last month, a Hamas official told AP, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media.

The official said the group’s leaders had given directions to reestablish order in parts of the north where Israeli forces had withdrawn, including by helping prevent the looting of shops and houses abandoned by residents who had heeded repeated Israeli evacuation orders and headed to southern Gaza.

During Israel’s ground offensive, many homes and buildings were left half-standing or reduced to piles of rubble and dust.

Saeed Abdel-Bar, a resident of Gaza City, said a cousin received funds from a makeshift Hamas office that was set up to distribute $200 payouts to government employees, including police officers and municipal workers.

Since seizing control of Gaza nearly 17 years ago, Hamas has been operating a government bureaucracy with tens of thousands of civil servants, including teachers and police who operate separately from the group’s secretive military wing.

The partial salary payments for at least some government employees signal that Israel has not delivered a knockout blow to Hamas, even as it claims to have killed more than 9,000 Hamas fighters.

Ahmed Abu Hadrous, a Gaza City resident, said Israeli warplanes struck the area where the makeshift office is located multiple times earlier this week, including Saturday.

The strikes come roughly a month after Israeli military leaders said they had broken up the command structure of Hamas battalions in the north, but that individual fighters were continuing to carry out guerrilla-style attacks.

Meanwhile, combat continued in southern Gaza.

At least 11 people were injured when Israel’s military fired smoke bombs at displaced people sheltering at the headquarters of the Palestinian Red Crescent in the southern city of Khan Younis, the organization said. It followed a siege that Israel’s military has laid on the Red Crescent’s facilities for 12 days, the organization said.

The charity said it had documented the killing of 43 people, including three staff members, inside the buildings by Israeli fire in those 12 days, with another 153 injured.

Israel’s military denied the Red Crescent’s allegations that the Al-Amal Hospital facilities had stopped functioning, saying the hospital had adequate fuel and electricity and that the military helped to replenish two oxygen tanks.

The military said operations in Khan Younis would continue for several days.

At least 17 people, including women and children, were killed in two separate airstrikes overnight in Gaza’s southernmost town of Rafah on the border with Egypt, according to the registration office at Abu Yousef al-Najjar hospital, where the bodies were taken.

The first strike hit a residential building east of Rafah, killing at least 13 people from the Hijazi family. The dead included four women and three children, hospital officials said.

“Two children are still under the rubble, and we don’t, still we don’t know anything about them,” relative Ahmad Hijazi said.

The second struck a house in Rafah’s Jeneina area, killing at least two men and two women from the Hams family.

The Health Ministry in Gaza said Saturday that 107 people were killed over the past 24 hours, bringing the wartime total to 27,238. More than 66,000 people have been wounded.

The conflict has leveled vast swaths of the tiny coastal enclave, displaced 85% of its population and pushed a quarter of residents to starvation.

More than half of Gaza’s population of 2.3 million has taken refuge in Rafah and surrounding areas. A United Nations official on Friday said Rafah was becoming a “pressure cooker of despair.”

Israel’s defense minister warned earlier in the week that Israel might expand combat to Rafah after focusing on Khan Younis, the largest city in southern Gaza. While the statement alarmed aid officials and international diplomats, Israel would risk significantly disrupting strategic relationships with the United States and Egypt if it were to send troops into Rafah, a key entry point for aid.

International mediators continued to work to close wide gaps between Israel and Hamas over a proposed cease-fire deal.

Hamas continues to hold dozens of the roughly 250 hostages taken in the Oct. 7 attack, after more than 100 were released during a one-week truce in November. Those releases were in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners.

Meanwhile, United States — which has negotiated tenants of the deal along with Israel, Egypt and Qatar — launched an air assault on dozens of sites in Iraq and Syria used by Iranian-backed militias and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard late Friday, in the opening salvo of retaliation for the drone strike that killed three U.S. troops in Jordan last weekend.

Magdy reported from Cairo. Associated Press writers Julia Frankel in Jerusalem and Jamey Keaten in Geneva contributed to this report.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Anthem singer dons pro-Palestinian attire at NHL All-Star Game

Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Feb 04, 2024 • Last updated 6 hours ago • 3 minute read
A singer wearing pro-Palestinian colours, with a history of anti-Israel rants, performed the American national anthem at the All-Star Game.
This image of pop star Kiana Lede singing the American national anthem at Saturday's NHL All-Star Game in Toronto was taken from the X post:
The NHL has yet to comment on how a singer wearing pro-Palestinian colours, and with a history of anti-Israel rants, performed the American national anthem at the All-Star Game in Toronto Saturday.

But that hasn’t stopped others from commenting on how American pop star Kiana Lede used the NHL game to show her support for the Palestine side of the war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.

Wearing a Palestinian, black and white cardigan-style sweater, the 26-year-old Los Angeles-based Grudges singer walked the red carpet and sat in a ScotiaBank Arena corporate suite in the same attire.

“B’nai B’rith Canada is appalled and perplexed that a performer who has publicly stirred up crowds in the past by leading the genocidal chant ‘From the river to the sea’ — hateful words calling for the destruction of Israel and its people — was retained to sing the U.S. national anthem at the NHL All-Star Game in Toronto Saturday,” said B’nai Brith communications director Marty York. “It’s mind-boggling. This woman has a track record of making dangerous comments to encourage hate against Jews.”

Lede has never hidden her Palestinian support.
“Wear it every day,” she commented on Instagram under a photograph of herself wearing a black-and-white keffiyeh.

In a Dec. 11, 2023 post, Lede wrote “so I ask if you own a keffiyeh, please wear it” and “if you can support the Palestinian people, do it.”

In that same post, Lede crassly added, “and if you’re a Zionist, feel free to stay your ass at home.”

Did she ask Jewish NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman to stay home? Or the host, Toronto Maple Leafs’ Chairman Larry Tanenbaum? Or Drake, who has a nightclub on the site? Or any Jewish fans who attended the game?

“A singer, who has told people who support Israel to stay home, is given the red carpet treatment at the NHL All Star game,” said the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) on X. “It’s unfortunate before giving her one of their largest platforms of the year that the NHL didn’t look into her more” since “she has a record of divisive and harmful statements that have only served to encourage hate against a large portion of the Jewish community.”

There is nothing subtle about her position. In a December video, she is seen saying — to the cheers of fans — the genocidal chant, “From the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free.”

Five days following Oct. 7, she posted to X while “I do not condone a single thing Hamas has done” and “no innocent people should be murdered or be a victim of SA (sexual assault)” this is a “complex situation” in which “I will say again Hamas is not Palestine” and the “Israel government is using its power to commit genocide.”

A week after the Hamas atrocities, Lede also posted she “can’t stand how firmly our government is standing in its relationship and support of Israel” and while “what happened at that festival is F….. sad,” President Joe Biden is “silencing the voices of the Palestinian people that are losing everything they have.”

“Clearly, the NHL failed to do its due diligence by approving this woman for this role,” said York. “NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has some explaining to do and needs to conduct an investigation about how this offensive singer could have been involved in the league’s showcase event.”

The NHL, Bettman or Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment have yet to respond to requests for comment. But last month, the NHL spoke out about its “significant concerns” over a decision to ban Israel from playing in an international hockey tournament in Bulgaria for safety reasons — something they helped overturn.

Lede, who has also not commented, is entitled to offer her opinions, as well as to dress how she chooses.

But this was not one of her concerts. It was a non-political sporting event. Was the NHL aware she was going to use their stage to push an anti-Israel agenda, or of her past strong commentary?

Did they not look at her social media to see her many vile statements since the Oct. 7 slaughter of 1,200 Jews at the Gaza border and the kidnapping of 240 innocent people?

Either way, the damage is already done.
anthemsing[1].jpg

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
NDP MLAs banned from some B.C. mosques after minister's 'crappy' land comment
A letter from Muslim groups to B.C. premier David Eby says neither Selina Robinson's apology nor his response address the serious harm done to members of the community

Author of the article:The Canadian Press
The Canadian Press
Published Feb 04, 2024 • Last updated 6 hours ago • 2 minute read
Representatives for more than a dozen B.C. mosques and Islamic associations have sent a letter to the premier calling for minister Selina Robinson to be removed from her role.
Representatives for more than a dozen B.C. mosques and Islamic associations have sent a letter to the premier calling for minister Selina Robinson to be removed from her role.
Representatives from more than a dozen B.C. mosques and Islamic associations have sent a letter to Premier David Eby calling for the minister of post-secondary education to be removed from her role.

They also say no NDP MLA or candidate for the next election is welcome in their sacred spaces until the premier takes action against Selina Robinson.

She has been facing heavy criticism and calls to resign since last week when she remarked in an online panel discussion hosted by B’nai Brith Canada that Israel was founded on a “crappy piece of land.”

She has since apologized in a social media post, saying her comments were “disrespectful,” and she had been referring to the land having limited natural resources.

She said in the post that her remarks diminished “the connection that Palestinians also have to the land,” and she apologized unreservedly.

Eby has said that Robinson’s comments were wrong, hurtful and increase division in the province.

NDP creative director Heather Libby did not respond to questions about whether Robinson would be removed from cabinet but said in a statement that a party fundraiser scheduled for Sunday night, which was slated to include the premier and the rest of caucus, was being rescheduled.

“We heard from the community that it is not the time for a celebratory event. We have some work to do. We look forward to rescheduling the event soon,” she said.

The letter from Muslim groups, dated Friday, says neither Robinson’s apology nor Eby’s response address the serious harm done to members of the community and argues Robinson has shown “blatant bigotry” that’s tarnished the reputation of the province and the NDP.

“Ultimately, what it comes down to is, does the BC NDP condone these attitudes toward any equity-deserving group, let alone Palestinian Arab and Muslim communities that are already at greater risk of harm,” the representatives asked in the letter.

Haroon Khan, a director with Vancouver’s Al Masjid Al Jamia mosque, was one of 18 people to sign the letter and said Robinson’s comments were painful to hear.

“We’re told this is a crappy little place, that didn’t really mean much of anything. It means everything, it means everything, to so many people. And the sacrifice and loss that’s been happening every day is on our minds,” he said.

“And her comments were deeply insulting, disturbing and very upsetting, and really unhelpful.”

Video of the discussion streamed on YouTube also shows Robinson lamenting a lack of knowledge about the origins of modern Israel, saying the land on which it was founded “had nothing on it,” before adding that there were “several hundred thousand people.”

Khan said it should be left up to voters to decide if Robinson remains an MLA, but that she should not be a minister representing the province.

He said the community is open to meeting with politicians but is no longer willing to be part of what he considers “platitudes.”

“We’re not interested in any photo ops, we’re not interested in allowing politicians to check a box saying that they’ve met with our communities,” he said.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
NDP MLAs banned from some B.C. mosques after minister's 'crappy' land comment
A letter from Muslim groups to B.C. premier David Eby says neither Selina Robinson's apology nor his response address the serious harm done to members of the community

Author of the article:The Canadian Press
The Canadian Press
Published Feb 04, 2024 • Last updated 6 hours ago • 2 minute read
Representatives from more than a dozen B.C. mosques and Islamic associations have sent a letter to Premier David Eby calling for the minister of post-secondary education to be removed from her role.

They also say no NDP MLA or candidate for the next election is welcome in their sacred spaces until the premier takes action against Selina Robinson.

She has been facing heavy criticism and calls to resign since last week when she remarked in an online panel discussion hosted by B’nai Brith Canada that Israel was founded on a “crappy piece of land.”

She has since apologized in a social media post, saying her comments were “disrespectful,” and she had been referring to the land having limited natural resources.

She said in the post that her remarks diminished “the connection that Palestinians also have to the land,” and she apologized unreservedly.

Eby has said that Robinson’s comments were wrong, hurtful and increase division in the province.

NDP creative director Heather Libby did not respond to questions about whether Robinson would be removed from cabinet but said in a statement that a party fundraiser scheduled for Sunday night, which was slated to include the premier and the rest of caucus, was being rescheduled.

“We heard from the community that it is not the time for a celebratory event. We have some work to do. We look forward to rescheduling the event soon,” she said.

The letter from Muslim groups, dated Friday, says neither Robinson’s apology nor Eby’s response address the serious harm done to members of the community and argues Robinson has shown “blatant bigotry” that’s tarnished the reputation of the province and the NDP.

“Ultimately, what it comes down to is, does the BC NDP condone these attitudes toward any equity-deserving group, let alone Palestinian Arab and Muslim communities that are already at greater risk of harm,” the representatives asked in the letter.

Haroon Khan, a director with Vancouver’s Al Masjid Al Jamia mosque, was one of 18 people to sign the letter and said Robinson’s comments were painful to hear.

“We’re told this is a crappy little place, that didn’t really mean much of anything. It means everything, it means everything, to so many people. And the sacrifice and loss that’s been happening every day is on our minds,” he said.

“And her comments were deeply insulting, disturbing and very upsetting, and really unhelpful.”

Video of the discussion streamed on YouTube also shows Robinson lamenting a lack of knowledge about the origins of modern Israel, saying the land on which it was founded “had nothing on it,” before adding that there were “several hundred thousand people.”

Khan said it should be left up to voters to decide if Robinson remains an MLA, but that she should not be a minister representing the province.

He said the community is open to meeting with politicians but is no longer willing to be part of what he considers “platitudes.”

“We’re not interested in any photo ops, we’re not interested in allowing politicians to check a box saying that they’ve met with our communities,” he said.
Everyone knows that Israel is the land of milk and honey .