Rapporteur David Johnson, Eminent Canadian

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ironic…the Easter Island reference, as in appointing a Special Rapa Nui to investigate itself. 😁

Trudeau is an idiot. I think that’s obvious at this point, but this issue is complex as you’ve mentioned, affecting government on at least three different levels, with obscured details that if not exposed to be scrubbed, just continue. Currently there’s complexity without transparency, and many ties back to either the Liberal Party & the Trudeau Foundation that overlap repeatedly on this whole…whatever it is.

Public Inquiries aren’t a perfect tool, but compared to the alternatives, it might be the best tool we have at this point.

Whether there’s a conflict of interest, or just the appearance of a conflict of interest here, it still exists, and will cast a large shadow on anything going forward. An independent entity, selected by parliament, for a public inquiry, could at least remove that hopefully, because David Johnston’s public hearings, are not going to accomplish that. The current PM already has a history of violating the conflict of interest act, so being suspicious of this appointment of Mr Johnston is….?
Out of a pool of thousands or tens of thousands of eminent Canadians, with no connections with Mr. Trudeau, no allegiances to the Trudeau Family Foundation, no long term association and friendship with the whole Trudeau family… why was this one man with these connections, these allegiances and these associations — any one of which puts him in a conflict of interest, but bearing the whole bundle of them should have marked him down as a person never to be considered for the role in the first place.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Public Inquiries aren’t a perfect tool, but compared to the alternatives, it might be the best tool we have at this point.
I'll accept that. As long as they are accompanied, where indicated, by criminal investigations.
Whether there’s a conflict of interest, or just the appearance of a conflict of interest here, it still exists, and will cast a large shadow on anything going forward. An independent entity, selected by parliament, for a public inquiry, could at least remove that hopefully, because David Johnston’s public hearings, are not going to accomplish that.
Interesting that you should mention "appearance of conflict of interest." When I was in, Air Force Regulation 30-30 forbade "giving the appearance of impropriety or conflict of interest." So, in addition to all the things you couldn't do, you had to conduct yourself so that nobody would have a reasonable suspicion you had your toes over the line. Up to six years hard labor for violation.

I always found it amusing that they could expect teenage airmen to adhere to a standard that somehow was too tough for seasoned politicians, corporate bigshots, and suchlike.

And yes, if the Chinese "interference" thing is a nothingburger, it would benefit True Dope to have somebody he don't know, or even somebody that don't like him, make that finding. And a "public inquiry," if that's what I'm pretty sure it is, would at least help sort out the screamers from the folk who have serious, legitimate questions.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I try and pull information for many different sources, even the CBC, and I have yet to find any talking head anywhere (outside of the Liberal Party I guess) saying that no public inquiry is a good idea, & that the David Johnston public hearings are the answer.

Maybe everybody is wrong except Trudeau & Johnston (& the Libs) and they should be allowed to just investigate themselves and declare themselves innocent of everything… but that has a bit of a tint to it, or maybe a taint.

One of the weird ones for me is the story about Erin O’toole being interviewed by David Johnson. That’s worth a read through.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This probably doesn’t need to be mentioned, but the NDP has announced that they’ll be reacting to the latest development in the Chinese interference scandal by doing nothing. For months, the NDP has joined the Conservatives in saying that nothing less than a full public inquiry would be needed to probe allegations that the Trudeau government sat on their hands through months of intelligence warnings of an ongoing Chinese interference operation. Nevertheless, after former Governor General David Johnston gave the Liberals cover to avoid such an inquiry, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh told CBC that he will not be threatening to withdraw his party’s support of the Liberal government in order to force an inquiry. Instead, he’ll be using “other tools.”

• Haha
Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Given the glacial pace of political action in Canada, maybe they have the right idea.

I take it as pretty much a foregone conclusion that in 2025 (if not earlier), True Dope becomes an item on an internet search.

Assuming the NDP has aspirations to being something more than a minor "coalition partner," maybe they're playing a longer game.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I try and pull information for many different sources, even the CBC, and I have yet to find any talking head anywhere (outside of the Liberal Party I guess) saying that no public inquiry is a good idea, & that the David Johnston public hearings are the answer.

Maybe everybody is wrong except Trudeau & Johnston (& the Libs) and they should be allowed to just investigate themselves and declare themselves innocent of everything… but that has a bit of a tint to it, or maybe a taint.

One of the weird ones for me is the story about Erin O’toole being interviewed by David Johnson. That’s worth a read through.

Interesting you don't mention why Johnston doesn't think an actual public inquiry isn't a good idea.

He doesn't think it'll work, because it won't.

There's too MUCH classified info that would need to be looked at to make it worth while, because anyone who looked at it, could never speak about it in public. So why wast time on something that can't actually do anything. And it makes sense; you just don't have files on someone as powerful globally as the Chinese and let anyone look at them, to blab to the world and expect China to be 'okay' with whatever it is.

That's why there's no suggestion of a public look coming from him.

Johnston doesn't even say that the Libs did 'nothing' wrong, from my understanding. He said there were lots of shit not done properly, and things need to change, and part of his next phase is to push for those changes.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting you don't mention why Johnston doesn't think an actual public inquiry isn't a good idea.
I could state the reason that he’s given, and site several examples from several Talking Heads, stating why that’s faulty.
He doesn't think it'll work, because it won't.
I don’t think the public hearings with David Johnson are going to work either. I think a public inquiry would be much more effective with actual subpoena power for the people who where actually involved instead of little town halls across the country where average Joe’s just come forward with a peace of their mind, etc…
There's too MUCH classified info that would need to be looked at to make it worth while, because anyone who looked at it, could never speak about it in public. So why wast time on something that can't actually do anything. And it makes sense; you just don't have files on someone as powerful globally as the Chinese and let anyone look at them, to blab to the world and expect China to be 'okay' with whatever it is.
The emergencies act inquiry dealt with secret, extra special secrets, and Parliamentary Privilege, and so on and so forth…. And yet that happened…

The Meuller report in the US about Russian interference dealt with super secret special secret secret stuff… and yet that happened
That's why there's no suggestion of a public look coming from him.
Is it really though? Is that really the reason? That’s the big question that’s going to hang over this whole thing like a stink in an elevator after a secret top-secret flatulent passenger…without a Public Inquiry.
Johnston doesn't even say that the Libs did 'nothing' wrong, from my understanding. He said there were lots of shit not done properly, and things need to change, and part of his next phase is to push for those changes.
From my understanding, Johnson exonerated pretty much anybody who was elected, and threw CSIS under the bus along with the whistleblower and the media… pretty much anybody who wasn’t elected and in the Liberal Party.

What did Mr Johnston say about the Trudeau foundation anyway with its donation from the Chinese government through the cut out people, etc…regarding influence?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Serryah, this kind of sums up what I was trying to say above. It’s Tom Mulcair (former NDP leader) and his perspective, & he 100% predicted that there was no way David Johnston wouldn’t announce a Public Inquiry before he didn’t:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Serryah, this kind of sums up what I was trying to say above. It’s Tom Mulcair (former NDP leader) and his perspective, & he 100% predicted that there was no way David Johnston wouldn’t announce a Public Inquiry before he didn’t:

Much as I don't like Mulcair, I do agree with him. And honestly yes, I do think an inquiry should still happen, and said as much. And if there are safeguards that can be put in place so the classified stuff can be looked at but not become part of the public domain then sure.

I think though that what, in the end people want, is the chance to cross examine and dig deeper into things. I don't even think the super secret stuff matters, it's pushing to get answers.

But overall I'm still 'meh' about it.

Honestly... this was a foregone conclusion.

I just had issues with the hypocrisy from the Cons over the guy is all.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Chinese hackers targeted U.S. infrastructure, warn Five Eyes, including Canada
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published May 24, 2023 • 1 minute read
The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security is warning about evidence that Chinese hackers have been targeting critical infrastructure networks in the U.S.
WASHINGTON — The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security is warning about evidence that Chinese hackers have been targeting critical infrastructure networks in the U.S.

The alert issued earlier today is part of a broader, coordinated effort by the Five Eyes countries — Canada, the U.S., the U.K., New Zealand and Australia — to raise awareness of the threat.

The U.S. National Security Agency says it has identified “indicators of compromise” linked to a state-sponsored cyber actor from China.

The NSA says it’s an especially sophisticated breach that uses existing network administration tools to cover its tracks, known as a “living off the land” technique.

Today’s alert also includes detailed instructions for “network defenders” on how to find evidence of a breach.

Canadian officials say there have been no reports of any systems inside Canada being targeted.

“The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security joins its international partners in sharing this newly identified threat and accompanying mitigation measures with critical infrastructure sectors,” agency head Sami Khoury said in a statement.

“The interconnected nature of our infrastructures and economies highlights the importance of working together with our allies to identify and share real-time threat information.”

Other agencies taking part in today’s announcement include the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, the FBI, and cybersecurity agencies in Australia, New Zealand and the U.K.

“A (People’s Republic of China) state-sponsored actor is living off the land, using built-in network tools to evade our defences and leaving no trace behind,” said Rob Joyce, the NSA’s cybersecurity director.

“That makes it imperative for us to work together to find and remove the actor from our critical networks.”

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Leaders of Canadian activist and religious groups targeted by Beijing are calling for a public inquiry into foreign interference, saying it isn’t enough for former governor-general David Johnston to hold hearings to listen to their concerns about China’s efforts to silence their criticism.

Groups representing human rights activists, Muslim Uyghurs, Hong Kong pro-democracy dissidents, Falun Gong practitioners and supporters of independence for Tibet told The Globe and Mail they’ve been sounding the alarm for years about Beijing’s harassment and intimidation tactics.

Now, I don’t know if this’ll work or not, but I’ll try to post a link like this:
If this doesn’t work, Jagmeet Singh was in SK on May 25th, & was interviewed on 980 CJME by John Gormley & can be found in Shows and then here:
1685103518112.jpeg
Jagmeet Singh. Direct Questions. Sort of answers.

The Canadian Press reported Thursday that NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has requested assurances from Trudeau that receiving the clearance would not inhibit his ability to criticize the Liberal government.

The opposition’s immediate reaction to Johnston’s report – and their insistence that a public inquiry be held anyway – suggests those hoping the debate around foreign interference be “de-politicized” will continue to be disappointed.

“What we need desperately right now is to try and take the partisanship out of this conversation, and the decision to not hold a public inquiry, all that did in my mind is perpetuate that deeply partisan divide that’s out there,” Artur Wilczynski, a former senior official at the Communications Security Establishment, told Global News in a recent interview. “Which in my view is even more damaging to Canadian democratic institutions than anything else.”

Attachments

• 1685103354893.jpeg
    1685103354893.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Statement from someone from the Canadian Intelligence Community:

Those of us who worked, or are still toiling, in intelligence go to the office every day with one purpose only: to get the best data possible from sensitive sources and share that with senior officials to keep them informed. We do not expect everything we do to make a crucial difference but we do expect our customers to recognize our expertise and our commitment to Canada. To have our reputations sullied by people who have no background in the business is not fair.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Statement from someone from the Canadian Intelligence Community:

Those of us who worked, or are still toiling, in intelligence go to the office every day with one purpose only: to get the best data possible from sensitive sources and share that with senior officials to keep them informed. We do not expect everything we do to make a crucial difference but we do expect our customers to recognize our expertise and our commitment to Canada. To have our reputations sullied by people who have no background in the business is not fair.
I still think a faction within CSIS wants to take Trudeau down. What do they know?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

Yes, the O'Toole interview was damning for sure. How was it possible that the report was being "transcribed into French" when the investigation wasn't complete? I guess Johnson decided that alternative views weren't necessary. It's incredible how corrupt this government is. I would never have thought it before Trudeau but now it's extremely obvious & nothing is being done about it thanks to NDP support.

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yes, the O'Toole interview was damning for sure. How was it possible that the report was being "transcribed into French" when the investigation wasn't complete? I guess Johnson decided that alternative views weren't necessary. It's incredible how corrupt this government is. I would never have thought it before Trudeau but now it's extremely obvious & nothing is being done about it thanks to NDP support.
They could have written the report the day it was announced , it was always a foregone conclusion . As for liberal corruption that is why they were stuck as third party with barely enough seats for official status . Sadly the conservatives decided to fight the election against Trudeau’s Liberals raising their profile with the never ending , just not ready . Nice hair though .

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
They could have written the report the day it was announced , it was always a foregone conclusion . As for liberal corruption that is why they were stuck as third party with barely enough seats for official status . Sadly the conservatives decided to fight the election against Trudeau’s Liberals raising their profile with the never ending , just not ready . Nice hair though .
Actually, I thought the ad was excellent in that he 'actually wasn't ready' nor will he ever be - the latter part I just made up but it's still true. Unfortunately, people with thin skin were "offended" by the Ad even tho' it was true & still is for that matter. He's an idiot plain & simple.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Actually, I thought the ad was excellent in that he 'actually wasn't ready' nor will he ever be - the latter part I just made up but it's still true. Unfortunately, people with thin skin were "offended" by the Ad even tho' it was true & still is for that matter. He's an idiot plain & simple.
It was a good ad but they overplayed it . And in doing so put the Liberals front and center as their primary opposition.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Like all Canadians, I let out a sigh of relief on Tuesday when special rapporteur David Johnston announced that we did not need a public inquiry into foreign interference in Canadian politics.

By golly, we can all enjoy summer now that the pesky business of China interfering with elections, donating to the Trudeau Foundation and the University of Montreal, and generally messing with Canada has been put to rest. Thank you, Mr. Johnston.

Also, a sincere(ish) note of thanks to Johnston for taking a swipe at journalists who reported on CSIS leaks and created considerable angst in the Prime Minister’s Office. If those journalists would just quit digging around, we wouldn’t know what China was up to and we’d all be happier.

I believe that’s called sunny ways. The rest at the below link:

The Toronto Sun & The Toronto Star are on the same page on this? Hell might have actually frozen over…: