Rapporteur David Johnson, Eminent Canadian

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If this is the big “Nothing Burger” that Mr Johnston claims, & PM Justin Trudeau knew nothing about nothing, then what’s this 1/2 a year ago in Bali at the G-20 Summit?
Trudeau held talks with Xi, the first in more than three years, at the G20 summit on Tuesday, according to Canadian officials. Media reports said Trudeau had brought up “serious concerns” about alleged espionage and Chinese “interference” in Canadian elections during the discussion.

…or this from a couple months ago:

…then this from a couple of days ago in direct contrast with what Mulcair is saying a few months ago:

…which raise these questions:

….leading us to this:

…and Jagmeet both arguing for a public inquiry & not willing to not support the Liberal Gov’t in its non-coalition coalition regardless of its stance on not having a public inquiry that Mr Singh says is absolutely necessary. That brings us to about now, more or less….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ItDgbZW1Q&pp=ygUcSmFnbWVldCBzaW5naCBwdWJsaWMgaW5xdWlyeQ==

Which circles us back to the below & some other interesting comments from the PMO about CSIS from the Emergencies Act Fiasco:
…& this from just under 3 months ago:
“In a free democracy, it is not up to unelected security officials to dictate to political parties who can or cannot run,” Trudeau said when asked directly about the claims.

That’s true, but after spending months telling Canadians we can be sure that our elections are safe due to the work of Canada’s security and intelligence agencies, it’s odd that Trudeau would attack them. When pressed again on this issue, a reporter looking for a clear answer was told it’s racist to ask.

Bottom line, Trudeau has told CSIS to stop looking into this matter, accused anyone asking questions of being racist and said any other questions will be answered by his handpicked man who oversaw the Trudeau Foundation while China was funding it (referring to Morris Rosenberg before digging up David Johnston).

…& this from three months ago Pre-David Johnston:
Justin Trudeau is ruling out a public inquiry to examine China’s interference in Canada’s democracy and once again insisted that Beijing-directed influence activities did not affect the outcome of the 2019 and 2021 elections.

Speaking to reporters in Toronto marking the first anniversary of Russia’s military invasion of Ukraine, the Prime Minister said he is satisfied with hearings now being conducted by a parliamentary committee into the past two election campaigns.

“I applaud the work by parliamentary committees to monitor the situation,” Mr. Trudeau said when asked if he would set up a public inquiry as requested by former chief electoral officer Jean-Pierre Kingsley.

CSIS collects information and provides it to politicians. They don’t direct the politicians on what to do. After chastising CSIS earlier this year that they aren’t the boss of him, Trudeau wants to make it look like he couldn’t have acted because they didn’t tell him what to do.

Now though, Trudeau, backed by Johnston’s report, is trying to say that they didn’t need to act because when CSIS raised concerns about Dong’s nomination, they didn’t provide “specific recommendations.”

Speaking in an interview with The West Block‘s Mercedes Stephenson, airing Sunday, Richard Fadden, the former head of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service and former national security advisor to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, said he “can’t see any compelling reason not to” hold a public inquiry.

“I think in this case, the allegations are so serious they need to be looked into,” Fadden told Stephenson.

“I think a public inquiry is really the route to go.”

Ironically, we both ‘can’ & ‘can’t’ have a Public Inquiry for security reasons based upon whether you believe Mr’s Johnston & Trudeau, or if you believe Mr Fadden (who’s the former Head of CSIS & the former National Security Advisor to Justin Trudeau).

Equally ironic is that, “if” placing David Johnston in the role of ‘special rapporteur’….Justin Trudeau happened to stumble into another Conflict of Interest or Ethics Violation….with Canada being between Ethics Commissioners….we’d have to wait until Justin Trudeau appoints an Ethics Commissioner to investigate Justin Trudeau about this same thing?

….Unless….Justin Trudeau appoints David Johnston as a “‘Special’ Honorary Ethics Commissioner” to investigate Justin Trudeau’s appointment of David Johnston as “Special Rapporteur” to see if that violated any Conflict of Interest or Ethics Violation….because that almost fits in the twisted logic demonstrated so far.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ever since David Johnston delivered his 55-page report on election interference by Beijing, the fundamental question remains unchanged.

Why is an unelected friend of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, chosen by the PM and paid for by taxpayers, in charge of deciding whether there should be a public inquiry into foreign interference, an option Johnston has rejected?
Ironically, we both ‘can’ & ‘can’t’ have a Public Inquiry for security reasons based upon whether you believe Mr’s Johnston & Trudeau, or if you believe Mr Fadden (who’s the former Head of CSIS & the former National Security Advisor to Justin Trudeau).
This alone creates an apparent conflict of interest for Trudeau, which according to the federal government, “exists when there is a reasonable apprehension, which reasonably well-informed persons could properly have, that a conflict of interest exists,” regardless of whether one actually occurs.
Equally ironic is that, “if” placing David Johnston in the role of ‘special rapporteur’….Justin Trudeau happened to stumble into another Conflict of Interest or Ethics Violation….with Canada being between Ethics Commissioners….we’d have to wait until Justin Trudeau appoints an Ethics Commissioner to investigate Justin Trudeau about this same thing?
Johnston is a decent person, but it’s not his job to decide whether there should be a public inquiry.
(So, let’s not pretend a public inquiry, headed by a competent commissioner, approved by all parties in Parliament, would be incapable of hearing evidence, reviewing documents and issuing a public report, mindful of what evidence and documents would have to be heard and read in private.)

It’s Trudeau’s job and Trudeau has been ragging the puck on that issue for months.
If there’s no public inquiry, it’s Trudeau who has rejected it, not Johnston, who, despite his grandiose title of “independent special rapporteur” is simply an advisor to the PM.
….Unless….Justin Trudeau appoints David Johnston as a “‘Special’ Honorary Ethics Commissioner” to investigate Justin Trudeau’s appointment of David Johnston as “Special Rapporteur” to see if that violated any Conflict of Interest or Ethics Violation….because that almost fits in the twisted logic demonstrated so far.
Johnston isn’t “independent” in the way the Parliamentary Budget Officer and Auditor General are independent.

They report to Parliament. Johnston’s mandate comes from Trudeau.

Johnston’s rejection of a public inquiry — which Trudeau, to no one’s surprise, supports — means Trudeau has rejected the will of the House of Commons, which voted in favour of a public inquiry by a margin of 172 to 149.
He has rejected the view of every opposition leader, who control a majority of the seats in the Commons and who have all called for a public inquiry.

Johnston’s report mirrors almost every argument Trudeau has made from the start of the foreign interference scandal to defend his role, and that of his government, on the issue of foreign interference.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Ever since David Johnston delivered his 55-page report on election interference by Beijing, the fundamental question remains unchanged.

Why is an unelected friend of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, chosen by the PM and paid for by taxpayers, in charge of deciding whether there should be a public inquiry into foreign interference, an option Johnston has rejected?

This alone creates an apparent conflict of interest for Trudeau, which according to the federal government, “exists when there is a reasonable apprehension, which reasonably well-informed persons could properly have, that a conflict of interest exists,” regardless of whether one actually occurs.

Johnston is a decent person, but it’s not his job to decide whether there should be a public inquiry.
(So, let’s not pretend a public inquiry, headed by a competent commissioner, approved by all parties in Parliament, would be incapable of hearing evidence, reviewing documents and issuing a public report, mindful of what evidence and documents would have to be heard and read in private.)

It’s Trudeau’s job and Trudeau has been ragging the puck on that issue for months.
If there’s no public inquiry, it’s Trudeau who has rejected it, not Johnston, who, despite his grandiose title of “independent special rapporteur” is simply an advisor to the PM.

Johnston isn’t “independent” in the way the Parliamentary Budget Officer and Auditor General are independent.

They report to Parliament. Johnston’s mandate comes from Trudeau.

Johnston’s rejection of a public inquiry — which Trudeau, to no one’s surprise, supports — means Trudeau has rejected the will of the House of Commons, which voted in favour of a public inquiry by a margin of 172 to 149.
He has rejected the view of every opposition leader, who control a majority of the seats in the Commons and who have all called for a public inquiry.

Johnston’s report mirrors almost every argument Trudeau has made from the start of the foreign interference scandal to defend his role, and that of his government, on the issue of foreign interference.
Well come now , what good is it being King if you can’t make the rules .

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
David Johnson is NOT an eminent Canadian. At best, he is a liberal toady. More probably, he is a traitor.
He is an eminent Canadian….and Trudeau sullies the reputation of those that orbit his circle when it’s convenient for him to do so. His stench is contagious and everyone is a potential sacrificial goat.

There’s too many ties to Justin Trudeau for David Johnston to appear independent even if he was…between being neighbours at the Rideau Cottage address of 1 Sussex Drive, to the many many conflicts pointed out repeatedly in the media for the last couple of months from the cottage affiliations from 40 years ago to the same address Cottage affiliation from his time as GG…that there’s just no way there isn’t at least the appearance of a conflict of interest…even if David Johnston didn’t come up with exactly what Trudeau was preaching before appointing him as the Special Repporteur…
I was hoping months ago that Johnston at 82 years old would be his own man with his own mind & opinions…& maybe he is (?) but it doesn’t appear as such at this point.

Then there’s the Liberal/NDP/CBC perspective:
Is the answer a “Public Inquiry” ??? That seems to be the answer unless it’s from the Liberal/NDP/CBC perspective.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
He is an eminent Canadian….and Trudeau sullies the reputation of those that orbit his circle when it’s convenient for him to do so. His stench is contagious and everyone is a potential sacrificial goat.

He lost that status by letting his name go on that report.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

There’s too many ties to Justin Trudeau for David Johnston to appear independent even if he was…between being neighbours at the Rideau Cottage address of 1 Sussex Drive, to the many many conflicts pointed out repeatedly in the media for the last couple of months from the cottage affiliations from 40 years ago to the same address Cottage affiliation from his time as GG…that there’s just no way there isn’t at least the appearance of a conflict of interest…even if David Johnston didn’t come up with exactly what Trudeau was preaching before appointing him as the Special Repporteur…
I was hoping months ago that Johnston at 82 years old would be his own man with his own mind & opinions…& maybe he is (?) but it doesn’t appear as such at this point.

Then there’s the Liberal/NDP/CBC perspective:
Is the answer a “Public Inquiry” ??? That seems to be the answer unless it’s from the Liberal/NDP/CBC perspective.
Actually some arrests and expulsion of Chinese underhand actors would work even better .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
$41.3 billion deficit for 2022. How is this allowed to go on?
A few more months until there is an INGSOC digital dollar backed by nearly unlimited Mexican, American, Canadian, Caribbean resources to compete against the East Asia and Oceana dollar as the Eurasian dollar goes haywire losing Russia to the East Asia concern.

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A few more months until there is an INGSOC digital dollar backed by nearly unlimited Mexican, American, Canadian, Caribbean resources to compete against the East Asia and Oceana dollar as the Eurasian dollar goes haywire losing Russia to the East Asia concern.
The main principles of Ingsoc are highlighted by their three doublethink slogans - "War is Peace," "Freedom is Slavery," and "Ignorance is Strength." They also believe in the idea that one can change the past to fit what the present looks like.
I therefore intend to organize public hearings that learn from diaspora community members and experts in national security and international relations. I also plan to have some of the conversations I have had with senior national security officials in public, so that “Citizens” can hear from them firsthand.
My mandate is not to investigate this system, which remains robust. Rather, it is to investigate whether foreign governments are attempting to influence candidates or voters, whether the federal government has failed to act appropriately in the face of intelligence about foreign electoral interference, and whether a further public process is required to reaffirm trust in our electoral system. Public concern about these issues has been amplified by media reports of leaked intelligence documents.

Me me Mr me me me Special me me me.

I don’t remember voting for, or having our democratically elected parliamentary representatives vote for this person to single handedly decide on these things in place of our elected parliamentary representatives?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The main principles of Ingsoc are highlighted by their three doublethink slogans - "War is Peace," "Freedom is Slavery," and "Ignorance is Strength." They also believe in the idea that one can change the past to fit what the present looks like.
I therefore intend to organize public hearings that learn from diaspora community members and experts in national security and international relations. I also plan to have some of the conversations I have had with senior national security officials in public, so that “Citizens” can hear from them firsthand.
My mandate is not to investigate this system, which remains robust. Rather, it is to investigate whether foreign governments are attempting to influence candidates or voters, whether the federal government has failed to act appropriately in the face of intelligence about foreign electoral interference, and whether a further public process is required to reaffirm trust in our electoral system. Public concern about these issues has been amplified by media reports of leaked intelligence documents.

Me me Mr me me me Special me me me.

I don’t remember voting for, or having our democratically elected parliamentary representatives vote for this person to single handedly decide on these things in place of our elected parliamentary representatives?
Come now , who needs Parliment ? King Justine will lead us .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yeah, but….I thought if he was going to pull this, he would just use one of his socks to pretend it’s words where coming from it instead of David Johnston.
View attachment 18341
View attachment 18342
The sock king . Perfect .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
“Given the clear apprehension of bias at this point, we’re going to be asking for Mr. Johnston to step aside as special rapporteur.” From Jagmeet…

The federal NDP has tabled a motion calling for David Johnston to step aside as special rapporteur investigating foreign interference in Canadian affairs, leader Jagmeet Singh said Monday….under threat of….nothing????

“We’ve tabled a motion … that will be debated tomorrow in the House,” Singh told reporters.
Singh said it is clear there is a “mounting appearance of bias” with Johnston, so much so that it “erodes the work that the special rapporteur can do.”

Reports of the “friendship” between the Trudeau and Johnston families, forged during Justin and his brothers’ youth, had been overblown, Johnston explained. It just a few ski outings at Mont Tremblant, really. (Most Canadians went skiing with Pierre Elliott Trudeau at least once, surely.) And their supposedly neighbouring cottages in the area really weren’t that near at all.

But you needn’t take Johnston’s word for it. “I took the trouble of seeking a legal opinion from a retired Supreme Court justice, Justice Frank Iacobucci,” he told reporters. “He was very clear that there was no conflict of interest.”…an interesting choice. In a recent book about Iacobucci, McGill law professor Shauna Van Praagh describes him and Johnston as having been good friends since graduate school. Both have been involved with the Trudeau Foundation. In picking Iacobucci to give this opinion, Johnston seemed to err just as is he did in accepting this crazy job. And Iacobucci seemed to err similarly in giving it! Whoopsies again, & again, & again….

(Iacobucci and John Major were both hip deep in SNC-Lavalin’s attempts to obtain a deferred prosecution agreement from the government)
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is calling on the Liberal government to replace David Johnston as the special rapporteur into foreign interference, but he won’t withdraw his support for the government if they fail to listen….so hollow request?
Singh’s motion will also call on the government to abandon the special rapporteur process and instead call a public inquiry with a commissioner appointed who has the confidence of all parties in the House of Commons. I’m sure Justin Trudeau will give this request his full attention before ignoring it as long as The NDP continues to support the Liberals regardless of what they do….

Jagmeet Singh has rendered Justin Trudeau impervious to parliamentary oversight and accountability. How Mr. Singh untangles his stated desire for a public inquiry into Chinese government interference, and his party’s vote in the House of Commons for the same — from his iron support for the Trudeau government which defies both the parliamentary vote and Mr. Singh’s public support for that inquiry, is a riddle for Mr. Singh’s political conscience.

Singh has the power to withhold his support from the government and convince Trudeau of what is needed, and that Singh’s party has voted for. The same, necessary, public inquiry. It’s a power he refuses to exercise. How he reconciles this dance is less a puzzle than a gross self-contradiction.

If, Mr. Singh, on a matter of the integrity of Canadian elections being menaced by an authoritarian government, you cannot unhinge yourself and your party from the hidden compact with Mr. Trudeau, you have surrendered your right, and your party’s ability, to criticize him. Likewise you have surrendered the right to criticize this ridiculous attempt to pass on to David Johnston, the power to determine whether an inquiry should or must be held.

The larger responsibility is of course the prime minister’s. He is the central impediment to what a majority of Canadians know to be necessary, that of a public inquiry

Yet Mr. Singh shields him from all parliamentary consequences. If the targeting of some MPs’ family in China, if the sly and surreptitious play of Chinese government interference in our most basic democratic function cannot unhinge Mr. Singh from this pact, what will?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As Petros would say, “Breakfast with the Trudeau’s” & spin & spin & spin & spin….

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mr. O’Toole is asking House of Commons Speaker Anthony Rota to rule on whether his “privileges as a member and officer of Parliament were infringed by the government’s unwillingness or inability to act on the intelligence related to foreign interference.”

“Canadians cannot rely upon the government, the executive branch, to discharge its role as defender of the realm,” he said.

“The problem does not lie with our proud, hard-working intelligence agencies. It lies in the willful blindness of senior figures in this government and in the senior offices that advise it,” Mr. O’Toole said.

“The government has gone from one smokescreen to another, for years, to deflect its responsibility for tackling the scourge of foreign interference which is racking Canada’s democracy.”

NDP MP Jenny Kwan, who was told by CSIS that she was target of Chinese state intimidation, criticized Mr. Johnston for saying it would have been easy for him to have called for a public inquiry.

The Vancouver MP said it actually would have been a harder decision to recommend an independent inquiry “because he would be saying point blank to the Prime Minister that the process he had chosen is categorically wrong.”

“The person who is looking at these [secret] documents has to be a person that everyone has trust in and I am sorry to say Mr. Johnston does not enjoy that trust,” she told MPs.

If NDP leader Jagmeet Singh is going to show he’s serious about protecting Canadian democracy, the time is now. This week, his party will again file an Opposition Day motion not just demanding a public inquiry, but also for Johnston to “step aside.” It will almost certainly once again be supported by the Conservatives and the Bloc.

If the motion is indeed passed, and Trudeau once again ignores it, Singh will have the ultimate opportunity to prove he’s serious about the issue. He can, and should, walk away from the confidence-and-supply agreement.

Singh has signalled in the past he’s not willing to force an election over the issue, but it should be highlighted that an election and continuing to effectively give the Liberals majority rule aren’t the only two options at hand.

If Singh walks away from the deal, the immediate result isn’t voters back at the ballot box — it’s a return to the minority government Canadians originally gave Trudeau.

This would not only send a message to both Liberals and the public about the status quo’s unacceptability, but force the Liberals to negotiate with opposition parties going forward in order to pass their agenda. A ruling party so disdainful of any attempts at accountability and transparency doesn’t deserve to govern essentially unchecked.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
China provided money, workers and lies in a coordinated effort to defeat Erin O’Toole and the Conservatives in the 2021 election. That’s a summary of what the Canadian Security Intelligence Service told O’Toole last week during a private briefing.

O’Toole rose in the House of Commons just before noon on Tuesday to provide a broad-stroke description of that briefing while avoiding giving details. The summary was enough to worry anyone concerned about China’s meddling in Canada’s democracy.

“The problem does not lie with our proud, hard-working intelligence agencies. It lies in the wilful blindness of senior figures in this government and in the senior offices that advise it,” O’Toole said.

1685539720764.jpeg
“The briefing from CSIS confirmed to me what I suspected for quite some time, that my parliamentary caucus and myself were the target of a sophisticated misinformation and voter suppression campaign orchestrated by the People’s Republic of China before and during the 2021 general election,” O’Toole said.

Every party in the Commons, except the Liberals, supports a public inquiry. The majority of Canadians, according to several polls, want a public inquiry. Other Canadians calling for an inquiry include Richard Fadden, the former CSIS director and national security advisor to Trudeau and Stephen Harper, and Jean-Pierre Kingsley, the former head of Elections Canada. Even Trudeau’s former principal secretary, Gerry Butts, has called for an inquiry.

Justin Trudeau doesn’t want a public inquiry; he wants to keep employing Johnston, a long-time family friend, to look into the matter.

Jagmeet Singh is calling for David Johnston to step down as Justin Trudeau’s special rapporteur and a public inquiry to be called. The NDP leader has even tabled a motion in the House of Commons that will be voted on later this week and calls for an independent inquiry.

“Given the clear apprehension of bias at this point, we are going to be asking for Mr. Johnston to step aside,” Singh told reporters ahead of question period on Monday.

The motion will be debated on Tuesday with a vote likely coming on Wednesday. In March, the House passed a motion calling for a public inquiry with a vote of 172 in favour to 149 against.

This motion, like the last one, calls for all parties to have a say in who will lead the inquiry.

Undoubtedly, this motion will pass and then the question becomes whether Trudeau ignores the will of Parliament on the matter of an inquiry for a second time.