2SLGBTQQIA+

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Did he say that ?
Of course i didn't.

But what i did say was correct - there is no race that has a 'steeper path', steeper paths come in all forms to all races and all ethnicities and for the most part can all be overcome.

But it pleases some people right now to pretend that if they had only been born white (or occasionally only been born white MALE) then they would have NO struggles in life - white males effortlessly glide to prosperity with zero effort.

I'll happily go after racism when it does rear its' head to hold people back or lend a helping hand if some other 'steep hill' needs to be over come. But what we should be teaching people is not the lie that Blacks would have it so easy if they were just white.

What we should be teaching people is that you're probably going to face some serious "Uphill paths" in your life for one reason or another, and here's how you overcome challenges to get what you want. And you can do that.

thats a hell of a lot more productive than "you'd be rich if you were white, sucks to be you".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
ahhh there you go again - you can't argue the point so you lie about what i'm saying. You realize that's basically an admission you're wrong but haven't the balls to deal with it.

If you disagree with the premise that there's all kinds of groups who have a struggle then explain why, otherwise you'd be better off shutting up than admitting you're that kind of person by lying about me.
You were born on the wrong side of the border. You'd have been a terrific Yank.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You were born on the wrong side of the border. You'd have been a terrific Yank.
That is a terrible thing to say about a person 😝 (nyuck nyuck nyuck)

Look, we're going to disagree fairly regular obviously, although we do agree about some things. All i ask is that you keep it honest - don't try to flip topics if the discussion isn't going the way you like, and don't fib about what i said to try to distract. That's not THAT unreasonable surely.

We both know I said the OPPOSITE of what you claimed, I said racism obesity dyslexia asbergers physical disability etc were ALL problems. And that there isn't one group who's got "bigger hills" than another in that respect. People everywhere face some sort of serious 'uphill' battle and that's true of whites, blacks, reds, yellows and plaid. We are better off not pretending that one group is doomed to failure while another is guaranteed an easy victory and instead teaching people how to overcome whatever obstacles they're going to face,

If you disagree and believe the pity party and 'if only i'd been white' method is better, fine - make your case.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Here's a fact. You may not have known it. Many of the Jim Crow laws (not all, Jim Crow laws were primarily state laws, and varied from state to state) did not permit discrimination on the basis of race, they required it. It was in many cases a criminal offense for a private business to decline to discriminate.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Here's a fact. You may not have known it. Many of the Jim Crow laws (not all, Jim Crow laws were primarily state laws, and varied from state to state) did not permit discrimination on the basis of race, they required it. It was in many cases a criminal offense for a private business to decline to discriminate.
And are those laws in force currently?

Here's a fact You may not have known - in Canada there was an agressive policy for many years to discriminate against westerners in favour of easterners. An example of this was that it cost substantially more to ship goods east (towards ontario and quebec) than it did to ship goods west. This meant that business and farmers and industry in Ontario and quebec could sell their goods and such in teh western markets no problem, while western farmers were essentially banned from selling their goods in the east unless there was high demand and they took a lower profit for it, and it made sure no manufacturing industry rose in the west to challenge the east. And that was just one policy, there have been many many.

Yet my grandfather, who was affected by that especially in the great depression, found a way to get by and raise his kids to be successful.

Sure - lots of people face prejudice and repressive laws. For race, religion, geography, sexual orientation, whatever. It's just the rest of us don't obsess over it and find a way to get ahead anyway.

Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
So - bad thing that happened in the past. Glad it got wiped out, i certainly would have supported eliminating that. But - it's obviously not relevant to the options people have now if it's gone.

Some unfortunately. A few new ones are sprouting up at the moment as well. But we'll deal with it. the point however is that whether they are or are not, or some or all are, we'll find a way to be successful. And we always have. Sometimes it's hard. And you have to really work at it. But - we all face challenges and life is about learning to over come them.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
How many of those laws are still in efffect ?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Blacks were very rapidly crawling out of poverty during Jim Crow. The stats plummeted after Johnson and the social reform and programs.

Look it up.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Trudeau doesn't need those east/west laws to fuck the west.
well both he and his dad learned its' easier to just pass laws that only affect the west. The NEP didn't affect anyone in the east - but devistated the oil industry. The whole 'tankers' law ONLY applied to the west .

And this went under the radar but for quite a while there only a few years ago there was a tarrif for drywall imported from the states instead of Canada - but it ONLY applied in the west. Imports in the east were NOT tarrifed.

So they just do it another way. But seriously - i don't know how there wasn't more outrage about a tarrif that ONLY applied in the west and was like 200 percent. Other than cbc didn't really cover it.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
In NB (not sure rest of Canada but I think some places do this), there is a preface now to mention that "This land was unseeded by X tribe..." "We are on X tribe/people's land" and... TBH, as much as I do support Native Canadians, I'm not sure this should be a thing Government feels it has to do. Because, legitimately, EVERY human on the planet - or their ancestors - have conquered other peoples over history. It's rare that any land taken would be 'seeded' to the victors of conflict/conquering.

I mean, I *get* why it's done, I just don't think it helps anyone to make it a thing.
BC government has been doing this. So have some of the companies I have worked for. Also what gender they want to be called this week. I think most of them are doing it for the wrong reasons. Not because they give a shit, but because they think it looks good.

Reactions: The_Foxer

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
OK, racism isn't a problem in the U.S. or Canada. Just the same as being fat or dyslexic or autistic. Good to know.
Racism really isn't an issue in Canada, like in the US. There are people that would like it to be, and the odd case shows up. Mostly one off and by some wingnut of indeterminate species. And a few of the terminally clueless like the banksters in Vancouver that had a native handcuffed for trying to open a bank account.
Digging up shit from before most of us were born or even in Canada does not make for better relationships.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Here's a fact You may not have known - in Canada there was an agressive policy for many years to discriminate against westerners in favour of easterners. An example of this was that it cost substantially more to ship goods east (towards ontario and quebec) than it did to ship goods west. This meant that business and farmers and industry in Ontario and quebec could sell their goods and such in teh western markets no problem, while western farmers were essentially banned from selling their goods in the east unless there was high demand and they took a lower profit for it, and it made sure no manufacturing industry rose in the west to challenge the east. And that was just one policy, there have been many many.

Yet my grandfather, who was affected by that especially in the great depression, found a way to get by and raise his kids to be successful.

Sure - lots of people face prejudice and repressive laws. For race, religion, geography, sexual orientation, whatever. It's just the rest of us don't obsess over it and find a way to get ahead anyway.
I thought that was the Crow TB was blabbering about. It being the only Crow law I am aware of in Canada.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
well both he and his dad learned its' easier to just pass laws that only affect the west. The NEP didn't affect anyone in the east - but devistated the oil industry. The whole 'tankers' law ONLY applied to the west .

And this went under the radar but for quite a while there only a few years ago there was a tarrif for drywall imported from the states instead of Canada - but it ONLY applied in the west. Imports in the east were NOT tarrifed.

So they just do it another way. But seriously - i don't know how there wasn't more outrage about a tarrif that ONLY applied in the west and was like 200 percent. Other than cbc didn't really cover it.
80s-90s, when I was working mostly mid coast, there was a Federal tax on marine fuel that only applied to the West Coast. When I quit paying for barges I lost track of what happened with it.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I thought that was the Crow TB was blabbering about. It being the only Crow law I am aware of in Canada.
I believe it was known as the 'Crow rate', but if you call it the crow law and it applies to white people i'm sure someone will get pissed off somewhere :)