Majority of Conservative voters support defunding the CBC — but not attacks on media

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Global, CTV and other stations including radio have Canadian content rules also.

Is it on the same level though? Most of the time when I watch TV (which admittedly isn't often, don't have a TV so I only see it at other people's homes or maybe at work) it's more US content that I see than Canadian. Unless it's news.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Well that in essence is what 'defunding' means. They will still be able to do business as much as they'd like, but now all their revenues will have to come from sales just like everyone else. SO if they're not selling content people and advertizers are willing to pay for then they go under.

And that will actually solve some of the problems the other media outlets have been having. CBC frequently undercuts their ad prices because they can, they aren't reliant on ad revenues only. With the cbc scaling back and having to charge as much as they can for ad revenues, the others will likely be far more competitive.
Agreed, but selling CBC to the employees will get us some of our money back for the equipment. If we just defund, but leave it as a Crown Corp. we run the risk of not only having a bunch of worthless equipment around, but also may have to pay severance to the people that created the problem.

Reactions: The_Foxer

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
The thing is, CBC was meant to be an outside, Government supported media entity that promoted more Canadian content than other stations/forms of media. If the CBC is turned into just another CTV, that won't stop it from being 'biased', or do none of you realize that?

It WILL mean that less Canadian programming gets seen in Canada so we might as well just watch Global or CTV if that's the case.

Got a viable solution that won't cost taxpayers anything? The thing is, with satalite internet available almost everywhere educational radio programming has lost the technolagy race.
We watch CHEK, which is an employee owned tv station in Victoria for local news. I only use radio for music and such local news as they decide to share. Mostly it is white noise for running machines or when working alone. Can't listen to podcasts or anything else that requires concentration when working. I have several news aggregators that email every morning.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Is it on the same level though? Most of the time when I watch TV (which admittedly isn't often, don't have a TV so I only see it at other people's homes or maybe at work) it's more US content that I see than Canadian. Unless it's news.
On Sunday I read an interesting piece on FB, so can't vouch for it. But it gave a quiz on what constitutes Canadian Content. The results are surprising.
EG: The movie about Trump is CC, but the movie about the Leafs isn't. Go figure.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Agreed, but selling CBC to the employees will get us some of our money back for the equipment. If we just defund, but leave it as a Crown Corp. we run the risk of not only having a bunch of worthless equipment around, but also may have to pay severance to the people that created the problem.
I'm not even 100 percent sure how that works, if the feds have the legal right to sell off a crown corp set up the way the CBC is. I'd have to do the research. I don't think the feds would be on the hook to the staff tho, the 'corporate veil' would protect against that for sure.

I like the idea of selling to the staff but i have a funny feeling none of them would be interested in paying for it :)

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Not quite.The illegal things he does are all bad for us. There are things that, while illegal, are for the general good.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
There really is no way. And the CBC exercises severe control over who gets the 'privlidge' of making canadian content. Their friends and like minded people get the chance, others don't.

Much better to get rid of them entirely and find another way to fund Canadian content makers.
I could go with that too!

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

“Considering dropping journalistic objectivity??” Considering?

CBC is reportedly considering dropping an age-old requirement for its reporters to be objective — at least for those from a visible minority group?

The revelation was shared this week in an editorial by the Quebec newspaper La Presse. Senior editor François Cardinal wrote that CBC was considering an internal demand by its reporters that the broadcaster abandon its current standards requiring reporters and staff to remain neutral on political issues??? Really? CBC?

1664650356457.jpeg

Under CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Practices, the network’s reporters are forbidden from expressing personal opinions or partisan leanings? Seriously?

“Our value of impartiality precludes our news and current affairs staff from expressing their personal opinions on matters of controversy on all our platforms,” it reads? Yes, CBC…

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

CBC is reportedly considering dropping an age-old requirement for its reporters to be objective — at least for those from a visible minority group?

The revelation was shared this week in an editorial by the Quebec newspaper La Presse. Senior editor François Cardinal wrote that CBC was considering an internal demand by its reporters that the broadcaster abandon its current standards requiring reporters and staff to remain neutral on political issues??? Really? CBC?

View attachment 15886

Under CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Practices, the network’s reporters are forbidden from expressing personal opinions or partisan leanings? Seriously?

“Our value of impartiality precludes our news and current affairs staff from expressing their personal opinions on matters of controversy on all our platforms,” it reads? Yes, CBC…

Okay, so a majority of every issue about the CBC seems to be the news.

The news isn't all they do.

How about instead of 'defunding' the CBC, demand more from the news, OR suggest that the News no longer be a part of the programming criteria, and instead the CBC focus on content for it's media platforms. Because on the local/national level, programs like As it Happens, Quirks and Quarks, and locally CBC Maritimes and Maritime Morning are GREAT programs (I'm sure there are equivalents in other provinces/areas/regions).

And BTW, if CBC is SUCH an anti-everything but Liberal corporation, why didn't previous CONSERVATIVE Governments get rid of it/defund it? Why do the Cons keep going on CBC programs?

Maybe it's because it's NOT as "All Liberal" as so many keep spewing out...?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
How about instead of 'defunding' the CBC...

No. That was the option YOU and your LIBERALS had. Clean it up , make it fair. But you chose not to.

So now we'll do it OUR way - Defund the CBC and that debate is pretty much over for us. You should have taken the time to clean it up while your party was in power if you wanted to keep it.

But typical leftie - abuse the shit out of your power while you're in control, then as soon as you realize someone else is going to be in control and change it you're all "Wait - can't we compromise? We should work together!". Forget it.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
…And BTW, if CBC is SUCH an anti-everything but Liberal corporation, why didn't previous CONSERVATIVE Governments get rid of it/defund it? Why do the Cons keep going on CBC programs?

Maybe it’s become much more blatant since 2015 or so, & maybe ALL Canadian taxpayers fund the CBC, & maybe we’re seeing/hearing about “getting rid of/defunding it” right now as well as back in early 2015?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Maybe it’s become much more blatant since 2015 or so, & maybe ALL Canadian taxpayers fund the CBC, & maybe we’re seeing/hearing about “getting rid of/defunding it” right now as well as back in early 2015?
Before that actually. Harper actually did propose defunding it and looked at selling off assets and reducing funding and eventually proposed a 25 percent per year reduction to give them 4 years to 'adjust' to a commercial model. And you'll recall the fight demanding they provide evidence of how they're spending public money.

Acting like this is some new thing out of the blue is rediculous. The CBC has been chastized by the athorities for "re-editing" things to make it look like harper replied negatively to things he didn't and other incidents, this has been going back many many years. And they've got it coming.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

View attachment 15886

I wonder if CBC has to OK every article with the PMO?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Okay, so a majority of every issue about the CBC seems to be the news.

The news isn't all they do.

How about instead of 'defunding' the CBC, demand more from the news, OR suggest that the News no longer be a part of the programming criteria, and instead the CBC focus on content for it's media platforms. Because on the local/national level, programs like As it Happens, Quirks and Quarks, and locally CBC Maritimes and Maritime Morning are GREAT programs (I'm sure there are equivalents in other provinces/areas/regions).

And BTW, if CBC is SUCH an anti-everything but Liberal corporation, why didn't previous CONSERVATIVE Governments get rid of it/defund it? Why do the Cons keep going on CBC programs?

Not interested in any of that trash either. That should be paid for by either subscription or advertising.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Not interested in any of that trash either. That should be paid for by either subscription or advertising.

Yeah, when I was a teenager I thought it was trash too.

Now I realize it's actually not that bad.

I won't deny that the CBC HAS had issues, and DOES come across as Liberal supportive.

But.

In any case, it's the OTHER stuff it does I might really want to listen to, and that is more my problem of 'defunding' the CBC. IMO this programming would go away if that happened, and the local programming would go away, and THAT is what I object to.

Being upset over CBC's NEWS liberal bias and demanding it be defunded.. again, how about fix or negate the news aspect - or maybe take out national and just go local - so it's no longer an issue.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

I won't deny that the CBC HAS had issues, and DOES come across as Liberal supportive.

But.

In any case, it's the OTHER stuff it does I might really want to listen to, and that is more my problem of 'defunding' the CBC. IMO this programming would go away if that happened, and the local programming would go away, and THAT is what I object to.

Being upset over CBC's NEWS liberal bias and demanding it be defunded.. again, how about fix or negate the news aspect - or maybe take out national and just go local - so it's no longer an issue.
There is still no longer a valid reason to have a taxpayer funded radio or tv network with the introduction of satellites. CBCs mandate was to provide information services to remote areas of the country. Even in the 70s the saying was”you know you are really out in the bush when all you can get is CBC. And you know you have been there too long when you start to like it”.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Before that actually. Harper actually did propose defunding it and looked at selling off assets and reducing funding and eventually proposed a 25 percent per year reduction to give them 4 years to 'adjust' to a commercial model. And you'll recall the fight demanding they provide evidence of how they're spending public money.

Acting like this is some new thing out of the blue is rediculous. The CBC has been chastized by the athorities for "re-editing" things to make it look like harper replied negatively to things he didn't and other incidents, this has been going back many many years. And they've got it coming.
Yeah, I’m tired & dyslexic both….& I read the date on the link above as 2021 and not 2012…

But.

Weird Question, but I think you stated that you don’t own a TV, right? But if you do (or did, or plan to, etc…), do you think you’d just turn on the TV & the CBC would pop up? I’m not sure if Rabbit Ears do anything or not, but you would “Probably” have to pay someone to watch what we’ve ALL already paid for already with the CBC…

It’s not like it’s free with our tax dollars, or commercial free due to our tax dollars, or a level & fair playing field to other media outlets competing for those same advertisers without the same level of Government subsidy/support/whatever….

Perhaps CBC TV & CBC Radio should become two different things…. with CBC TV becoming unsubsidized, leaving CBC radio advertisement free if it remains subsidized and it would a loan require less than $1 billion a year I’m assuming from government??