Swearing an oath to the Queen a violation of religious freedoms.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I think the thing that I find hilarious about this is that while other Provinces and Territories have exemptions for his situation, Alberta does not.

And Alberta wants to break from Canada ASAP, and usually wants nothing to do with the Queen et al.

Guess that's an 'oops' they need to fix before doing anything after the summer recess?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think the thing that I find hilarious about this is that while other Provinces and Territories have exemptions for his situation, Alberta does not.

And Alberta wants to break from Canada ASAP, and usually wants nothing to do with the Queen et al.

Guess that's an 'oops' they need to fix before doing anything after the summer recess?
See my brand-spanking-new thread "English Canada/French Canada" in the "Canadian Politics" forum.

Is that all this "Westernesse" shit is? Just bored people playing toy soldier because they're sure it won't have real consequences?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
See my brand-spanking-new thread "English Canada/French Canada" in the "Canadian Politics" forum.

Is that all this "Westernesse" shit is? Just bored people playing toy soldier because they're sure it won't have real consequences?

Part of me wants to say yes, it's all just 'fake' shit...

But part of me thinks they're serious enough to be wary of it.

Truthfully I don't even think those who want to flock off and be separate from Canada know what they want either.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Part of me wants to say yes, it's all just 'fake' shit...

But part of me thinks they're serious enough to be wary of it.

Truthfully I don't even think those who want to flock off and be separate from Canada know what they want either.
Yep, got experience with that last part. Some of what they want, a "return" to the "good ol' days," just ain't. . . gonna. . . happen.

But it would be wise to separate out the real, addressable sources of discontent.

Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Yep, got experience with that last part. Some of what they want, a "return" to the "good ol' days," just ain't. . . gonna. . . happen.

But it would be wise to separate out the real, addressable sources of discontent.

The issue I think is that last bit; separating out the addressable discontent/issues. It's all wrapped up in regional bullshit it's hard to tell what's the real problem and what isn't. Sometimes I wonder if people who keep screaming "This is the issue!" even know if it's truly the issue or not.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

There are multiple sources of discontent going back to confederation. Some I have pointed out before. The main issue is the federal government's dedication to preventing if possible, or at the very slowing down, anything to do with resource development in the WEST. Explain why gas is cheaper in OntariOWE than in BC. BC has oil wells.
It is not just O&G either, it is every resource industry in the West. Mining in Northern OntariOWE gets a pass, but mining in the west gets decades of federal reviews and even some MPs that hang way left on the political spectrum blockading resource projects get a pass, while the truckers that have a real issue to deal with in Ottawa get illegally thrown in jail and have their bank accounts seized, called names and lied about in the government controlled media.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There are multiple sources of discontent going back to confederation. Some I have pointed out before. The main issue is the federal government's dedication to preventing if possible, or at the very slowing down, anything to do with resource development in the WEST. Explain why gas is cheaper in OntariOWE than in BC. BC has oil wells.
It is not just O&G either, it is every resource industry in the West. Mining in Northern OntariOWE gets a pass, but mining in the west gets decades of federal reviews and even some MPs that hang way left on the political spectrum blockading resource projects get a pass, while the truckers that have a real issue to deal with in Ottawa get illegally thrown in jail and have their bank accounts seized, called names and lied about in the government controlled media.
Has Poilievre addressed this?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Has Poilievre addressed this?
Yes, it's a big part of his platform.

But it's worth noting that while the oil and gas thing is HUGE for alberta as a source of annoyance there is a deep history there about a lot of other stuff, and that does impact the other provinces too. For a long long time for example it was cheaper to ship goods from the east to the west on the rail lines than west to east. This was to protect manufacturers and suppliers in ontario and quebec from westerners ever getting their own industries off the ground. THere was also until ww1 a policy of restricting growth in the west, which is why even today the population in the west is a fraction of what it is in the east. For decades people saw the prime minister announced before the first ballot was even opened in manitoba, which gave people a strong feeling like the entire west had no say in the gov't.

And big gov't contracts are always awarded to the east, not the west, and then there's the whole equalization mess which just feels a little like state sponsored robbery to many westerners. Etc etc.

There have been other factors as well but basically alberta has it the worst, but it's not just about oil and it's not just alberta. There was a time not long ago where bc was polling at about 45 percent in favour of seperation. Sask is almost the same as alberta.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes, it's a big part of his platform.

But it's worth noting that while the oil and gas thing is HUGE for alberta as a source of annoyance there is a deep history there about a lot of other stuff, and that does impact the other provinces too. For a long long time for example it was cheaper to ship goods from the east to the west on the rail lines than west to east. This was to protect manufacturers and suppliers in ontario and quebec from westerners ever getting their own industries off the ground. THere was also until ww1 a policy of restricting growth in the west, which is why even today the population in the west is a fraction of what it is in the east. For decades people saw the prime minister announced before the first ballot was even opened in manitoba, which gave people a strong feeling like the entire west had no say in the gov't.

And big gov't contracts are always awarded to the east, not the west, and then there's the whole equalization mess which just feels a little like state sponsored robbery to many westerners. Etc etc.

There have been other factors as well but basically alberta has it the worst, but it's not just about oil and it's not just alberta. There was a time not long ago where bc was polling at about 45 percent in favour of seperation. Sask is almost the same as alberta.
From the outside looking in this probably sounds like fiction, it’s all googlable.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah, i can imagine that :) I didn't even get into the NEP :)
If you did, you’d just sound like a deranged irrational Trudeau (Sr.) hater. You have to admit that it would sound like bullshit if it wasn’t real and anyone 50+years old lived through it (in the West, anyway). There’s still PetroCanada’s around (under different ownership now).

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
If you did, you’d just sound like a deranged irrational Trudeau (Sr.) hater. You have to admit that it would sound like bullshit if it wasn’t real and anyone 50+years old lived through it (in the West, anyway). There’s still PetroCanada’s around (under different ownership now).
Quite true. There's an old joke that is still true today:

Pierre Trudeau decided to walk to work one morning and as he walked along he saw the sun coming up. "Sun," he said, "Am i a good leader of my people?"

The sun replied "You are an inspiration to your people and their benevolent and wise leader, loved by all and prized for your excellent leadership!"

Heartily motivated by this, Trudeau continued to work and put in a full day. On his way home he noticed the sun setting, and decided to get a little more ego lift and asked again "Sun, am I a good leader?"

"You are a hideous tyrant and a traitor to all you exercise your filthy control over. May you rot in the depths of hell for your crimes against your people".

Shocked, Trudeau said "But this morning you said such wonderful things about me!!! What's changed?!!?"

"Ahhh... " said the sun. "This morning i was in the East. Now i'm in the west. "