Almost all new jobs created during the pandemic were in the public sector, report finds.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

That's a problem. Public sector jobs may be important but the dont' produce economic growth. They don't usually create wealth. And with growth outstripping the growth of the private sector that pays for all of that, that's going to be a pretty serious burden on the economy moving forward.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
So no real jobs, just high paying welfare for the chosen.
Well technically nurses are public sector for example. And while they work hard and do a lot, the problem is is they don't actually generate any wealth or revenue. A country's ability to keep inflation under control and maintain a higher standard of living hinges on its ability to generate wealth. Government workers like nurses might be necessary but they don't add to that equation. So while I would hardly call them welfare cases I would certainly say that is going to leave us vulnerable to higher inflation and lower Net tax revenue and economic growth

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Yup. Do broken machines make money? Do broken humans make money?
In answer to your question, no.

But you wrote about "auto technicians or millwrights" and of course they make money by offering their services which consumers pay for, thus it becomes part of the economy.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
How do they differ from auto technicians or millwrights?
Well a private company offering those services (or a doing-business-as contractor) will actually generate revenue from that work. That work creates value and economic activity (i'm using 'value' in the sense of wealth or capital creation). They will earn money from within the economy having added value to the economy and they'll pay tax on that and so will the businesses who go on to use that new asset to generate revenue. And as the value is set by the market forces that tends to end up with an actual increase in the economy.

Nurses however are different. And i should make it clear that their work is critical and necessary - but they are PAID in tax dollars and essentially add no value to the economy. Even tho they pay tax themselves that income was not earned in the market place but instead from a source that taxes and 'weakens' the marketplace.

The only reason we can afford them at all is that there's enough economic activity to make that possible. If there was no private enterprise, there would be no money to pay the nurses. On the other hand if there was no gov't employees the private sector could hire nurses and such. So you see the difference.

If the public sector, which siphons money off from the economy, grows faster than the economy does, then It soon becomes untenable. In addition those nurses are out there spending their money which has an upward inflationary effect without generating new economic value which is what tends to offset inflation.

hell if it didn't work that way we could just ALL become gov't workers :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well a private company offering those services (or a doing-business-as contractor) will actually generate revenue from that work. That work creates value and economic activity (i'm using 'value' in the sense of wealth or capital creation).
Hospitals are private companies that bill out their services to insurance companies/ministries.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Hospitals are private companies that bill out their services to insurance companies/ministries.
Not really. They are essentially bound to one customer who sets the price rate. And most are run by the gov't, who tends to pay the staff. You are not allowed as a private institution to provide health care services as listed in the ACT to anyone but the gov't.

I'm sure even your "ahem" challenged intellect could see the difference between that and, say, a millwright shop.

There may be some circumstances somewhere where nurses are providing services on behalf of a for profit company and the services are paid for directly by the client. BUT - those nurses wouldn't be "government workers" any more. Would they.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You are not allowed as a private institution to provide health care services as listed in the ACT to anyone but the gov't.
Sez you.

Canada has several types of hospital, including general public (706) and special public (193), both of which are under provincial jurisdiction. As well, there are 45 private hospitals and the federal government operates 1.
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca › ...

Hospital | The Canadian Encyclopedia

I'm curious if Catholic and Jewish hospitals are in the 45 Private group?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Sez the law :)

Canada has several types of hospital, including general public (706) and special public (193), both of which are under provincial jurisdiction.
So not private enterprises offering services outside the act...

45 private hospitals
ALl of which can only provide Health Act services when paid for by the gov't on the gov'ts terms as I previously noted so they don't count ...

the federal government operates 1.

The federal gov't is still a gov't, soooooo.....

Hmmm. So.. where exactly are all these private facilities that can offer whatever health care they want and take money directly from the public? ohhhhh that's right, pretty much non existent :)

The closest they come is the handful of private clinics that provide non health act services and the private individual pays. But if the gov't pays all the money and is the only client, then that's a gov't facility even if the facility itself is in private hands. It's still tax dollars being used to provide services, it's not creating wealth or services as part of our economy. They're spending gov't money which was siphoned from the economy.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Sez the law :)

So not private enterprises offering services outside the act...

ALl of which can only provide Health Act services when paid for by the gov't on the gov'ts terms as I previously noted so they don't count ...

The federal gov't is still a gov't, soooooo.....

Hmmm. So.. where exactly are all these private facilities that can offer whatever health care they want and take money directly from the public? ohhhhh that's right, pretty much non existent :)

The closest they come is the handful of private clinics that provide non health act services and the private individual pays. But if the gov't pays all the money and is the only client, then that's a gov't facility even if the facility itself is in private hands. It's still tax dollars being used to provide services, it's not creating wealth or services as part of our economy. They're spending gov't money which was siphoned from the economy.
Is there any subject you do not know everything about and have all the solutions ? I sure would like to be an adult like you .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Is there any subject you do not know everything about and have all the solutions ? I sure would like to be an adult like you .
I'm sure you would. Stay in school.

Here's the secret- don't talk about things you don' t know a lot about, at least not as if you do. You can always look like you know everything if you only talk about things you know about. That way you really do know about everything you talk about. Give it a try. You'll get used to it.

For the rest, learn to ask questions and do some actual research and you'll be surprised at how quickly you can gain some knowledge about more subject. That and your own life experiences can provide a wealth of information. That's why grandpas know everything :)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm sure you would. Stay in school.

Here's the secret- don't talk about things you don' t know a lot about, at least not as if you do. You can always look like you know everything if you only talk about things you know about. That way you really do know about everything you talk about. Give it a try. You'll get used to it.

For the rest, learn to ask questions and do some actual research and you'll be surprised at how quickly you can gain some knowledge about more subject. That and your own life experiences can provide a wealth of information. That's why grandpas know everything :)
Like Queen Elizabeth living through two world wars . Look in the mirror . Ever been surrounded by a school of dolphins ?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Not really. They are essentially bound to one customer who sets the price rate. And most are run by the gov't, who tends to pay the staff. You are not allowed as a private institution to provide health care services as listed in the ACT to anyone but the gov't.

I'm sure even your "ahem" challenged intellect could see the difference between that and, say, a millwright shop.

There may be some circumstances somewhere where nurses are providing services on behalf of a for profit company and the services are paid for directly by the client. BUT - those nurses wouldn't be "government workers" any more. Would they.
There are several PPP hospitals around so that sort of makes the government a partner in a for profit enterprise.

Reactions: petros

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Like Queen Elizabeth living through two world wars . Look in the mirror . Ever been surrounded by a school of dolphins ?
More like lying about having caught cormorants or that they don't get tangled in lines. :) Stay in school kid :)