Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Same thing. It is against the law for felons to own guns and against the law to shoot people.
A far better thing to look at is the punishment for using a gun to commit a crime. I would bet the more severe the punishment, the fewer gun related crimes. Still no laws are ever going to stop the crazies from killing people. If they can't get a gun, they will use a bomb or a car.Bombs are easy to make with readily available legally obtained ingredients.
Yeah, most states have a five-year add-on for using a gun in a crime.

Boy, that sure did the trick!

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
All you women who want a man of the street
But don't know which way you wanna turn
Just keep a-comin', and put your hand out to me
'Cause I'm the one who's gonna make you burn
I'm gonna take you down
Oh, down, down, down
So, don't you fool around
I'm gonna pull it, pull it, pull the trigger
Shoot to thrill, play to kill
Too many women with too many pills, yeah
I got my gun at the ready, gonna fire at will, yeah
I'm like evil, I get under your skin
Just like a bomb that's ready to blow
'Cause I'm illegal, I got everything
That all you women might need to know
I'm gonna take you down
Yeah, down, down, down
So, don't you fool around
I'm gonna pull it, pull it, pull the trigger
Too many women with too many pills, said
I got my gun at the ready, gonna fire at will
'Cause I shoot to thrill, and I'm ready to kill
I can't get enough and I can't get my fill
I shoot to thrill, play to kill
Yeah
Pull the trigger, pull it
Pull it, pull it, pull the trigger!
Oh
Too many women with too many pills, I said
I got my gun at the ready, going to fire at will
'Cause I shoot to thrill and I'm ready to kill
And I can't get enough and I can't get my fill
'Cause I shoot to thrill, play to kill
Yeah
Shoot you down, yeah
I'm gonna get you down to the bottom, girl
Shoot you, I'm gonna shoot you
Ooh, yeah
Yeah, yeah
I'm gonna shoot you down, yeah, yeah
I'm gonna get you down
Down, down, down, down
Shoot you, shoot you, shoot you, shoot you down
Shoot you, shoot you, shoot you down
Aah, aah, aah, aah, aah, aah yeah
I'm gonna shoot to thrill
Play to kill
Shoot to thrill

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah, most states have a five-year add-on for using a gun in a crime.

Boy, that sure did the trick!
So no real punishment. No wonder there is a gun crime problem. I was thinking more like 20 years, no parole.
Wouldn'twork in Canaduh of course, because our supreme court has decided that criminals have more rights than law abiding taxpayers. The Supremes,in their lack of contact with reality, have decided that life in prison is cruel and unusual punishment and that being intoxicated is a legitimate defence.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So no real punishment. No wonder there is a gun crime problem. I was thinking more like 20 years, no parole.
Wouldn'twork in Canaduh of course, because our supreme court has decided that criminals have more rights than law abiding taxpayers. The Supremes,in their lack of contact with reality, have decided that life in prison is cruel and unusual punishment and that being intoxicated is a legitimate defence.
No, that's a five-year add-on to the base sentence for the violent felony. Most violent felonies are already in the 10-20 year range. Armed robbery, 10 years or whatever the state law says. Use a gun, add 5 without parole.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
No, that's a five-year add-on to the base sentence for the violent felony. Most violent felonies are already in the 10-20 year range. Armed robbery, 10 years or whatever the state law says. Use a gun, add 5 without parole.
I have heard of some states where if a gun is involved, regardless of the crime, it becomes a felony.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Does that apply to any weapon, or just guns? One would think that if there is extra time for using a gun, then more robberies would be done with a knife or club.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Does that apply to any weapon, or just guns? One would think that if there is extra time for using a gun, then more robberies would be done with a knife or club.
Just guns. The rule is, for example, if you rob somebody with a knife, it's whatever the sentence for armed robbery is. If you use a gun, it's that plus five years, often with no parole on the five years.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
By the way, I'm not sure what the Canadian definition of a felony is, but here the Supreme Court has said that any crime punishable by a maximum over a year is a felony, regardless of what the prosecution is asking for.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Opinion Check. . . which of the following gun control measures is useless?

1. Banning private ownership of fully automatic weapons.
2. Banning private ownership of semi-automatic, clip-fed weapons.
3. Limiting clip size of semi-automatic weapons.
4. Forbidding violent felons from ever owning guns.
5. Forbidding all felons from ever owning guns.
6. Forbidding people with mental-health histories, but not adjudicated non compos mentis, from owning guns.
7. Forbidding concealed carry of handguns without a permit.
8. Forbidding carrying handguns without a permit.
9. Forbidding owning handguns without registration/permitting.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
By the way, I'm not sure what the Canadian definition of a felony is, but here the Supreme Court has said that any crime punishable by a maximum over a year is a felony, regardless of what the prosecution is asking for.
Canada really doesn’t have what you would define as felonies…. But they do have a distinction as “two years less a day” being provincial, or “two years plus” being federal…. And that might be a very big clued towards what you were trying to draw parallel to. Criminals and their attorneys sure fight to have “two years less a day” for serious offences to stay as provincial & not federal punishments (and the correctional facilities are also designated as provincial or federal based on sentencing).

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

6. Forbidding people with mental-health histories, but not adjudicated non compos mentis, from owning guns.
Somebody like Colpy can verify or dismiss my following statement but…. I think Canada already has all of that in place and has for a long long time…. Long before Justin Trudeau and his band of Merry whatever’s came to power in 2015.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Somebody like Colpy can verify or dismiss my following statement but…. I think Canada already has all of that in place and has for a long long time…. Long before Justin Trudeau and his band of Merry whatever’s came to power in 2015.
Maybe that's one reason why Canada has about 1/3 of the U.S.'s gun homicide rate.

Or maybe they're all "completely useless."

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Depends on how you define useless. The stuff about banning felons from owning guns is great on paper but in practice a lot of them own and use guns. All illegal of course. But the law does not help. But yes, IMHO those are all reasonable restrictions.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If I was an American, could I own something like this (?) and would I need a permit or something? A coupon maybe?
1655082490382.jpeg
For Skeet Shooting or UFO’s or maybe July 4th?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canada really doesn’t have what you would define as felonies…. But they do have a distinction as “two years less a day” being provincial, or “two years plus” being federal…. And that might be a very big clued towards what you were trying to draw parallel to. Criminals and their attorneys sure fight to have “two years less a day” for serious offences to stay as provincial & not federal punishments (and the correctional facilities are also designated as provincial or federal based on sentencing).
Indictable offences are equivalent to felonies. Summary offences are like misdemeanour offences.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Depends on how you define useless. The stuff about banning felons from owning guns is great on paper but in practice a lot of them own and use guns. All illegal of course. But the law does not help. But yes, IMHO those are all reasonable restrictions.
Refer to the thread title. All of these are "gun control" measures, ergo, presumably "completely useless." I regard the term to mean "will not prevent a single potential shooting." Do you have a different definition for "completely useless" than "having no effect whatever on the outcome it purports to affect?"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If I was an American, could I own something like this (?) and would I need a permit or something? A coupon maybe?
View attachment 14114
For Skeet Shooting or UFO’s or maybe July 4th?
You'd need a tax stamp for a Class III weapon, Federally. Plus whatever your state required. One of the DuPont heirs used to like to run around his estate in Pennsylvania in an M-113 armored personnel carrier.

1655117532004.png

Reactions: Ron in Regina