"The west wants out": Separatist sentiments growing in Alberta

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Foreign donors opened wallets to ‘hurt’ Alberta energy sector: Report​

'We have a right to be outraged,' said Energy Minister Sonya Savage of the scale of foreign funds aimed at damaging the oil and gas industry

Author of the article:
Tyler Dawson
Publishing date:
Oct 21, 2021 • 19 hours ago • 6 minute read

EDMONTON — The inquiry launched by Alberta Premier Jason Kenney’s government into the scale of foreign funds aimed at damaging the province’s oil and gas industry has issued its long-awaited report, finding that foreign donors provided nearly $1.3 billion in funds for Canadian environmental campaigns between 2003 and 2019.

-
-
-
-
“From my perspective, I was surprised at how much we found, how co-ordinated and sophisticated and well-funded these campaigns were,” said Alberta Energy Minister Sonya Savage in an interview. “It was a lot of money, coming from across the border, from foreign jurisdictions that came in to influence domestic policy, to influence legislation and regulatory matters, policy, and we should care about that.”

Reactions: taxslave and B00Mer

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Ya, it would likely be better if Quebec leaves - saves Alberta having to do so & also less expensive. In fact, we'd come out ahead because most of our "equalization payments" would cease going to Quebec.

But, I'm not in favor of either Quebec or Alberta leaving the country as it would simply confuse things. I would rather see confederation improved overall for ALL Canadians, but we won't see that anytime soon so my initial statement would be the better option I'm guessing.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wait until this guy starts phucking with the West

EDMONTON -- A pair of rival Alberta politicians had a rare moment of agreement on Tuesday - both are unhappy with the prime minister's pick for environment minister.

Steven Guilbeault - a former leader of Greenpeace Quebec - was appointed to the position by Justin Trudeau Tuesday.

Wow….just trippy. Trudeau is really trying to unify the East & West with this choice here, isn’t he???

If Trudeau gets a fourth term (in 18 months?), it would be like appointing Jason Kenney as the Ambassador for Canada to the distinct nation that is Quebec. Can you imagine that?

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Foreign donors opened wallets to ‘hurt’ Alberta energy sector: Report​

'We have a right to be outraged,' said Energy Minister Sonya Savage of the scale of foreign funds aimed at damaging the oil and gas industry

Author of the article:
Tyler Dawson
Publishing date:
Oct 21, 2021 • 19 hours ago • 6 minute read

EDMONTON — The inquiry launched by Alberta Premier Jason Kenney’s government into the scale of foreign funds aimed at damaging the province’s oil and gas industry has issued its long-awaited report, finding that foreign donors provided nearly $1.3 billion in funds for Canadian environmental campaigns between 2003 and 2019.

-
-
-
-
“From my perspective, I was surprised at how much we found, how co-ordinated and sophisticated and well-funded these campaigns were,” said Alberta Energy Minister Sonya Savage in an interview. “It was a lot of money, coming from across the border, from foreign jurisdictions that came in to influence domestic policy, to influence legislation and regulatory matters, policy, and we should care about that.”
I don't see why people are surprised by this. The forest industry in BC has been fighting this for 3 decades. Much of the money comes from the same US sources, although there are some one trick ponies as well. US timber barons have been instrumental in creating illegal taxes on Canadian lumber. Just like US oil interests are financing oil spitters in Canada.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm sort of working through these responses bottom to top from when they where posted.

I agree, but I still think isolating it away would add a level of safety to what really hasn't improved much in the last 140 years.

Thank you. I've never mentioned this outside of work or Family before. It was a bit too close as that's only a few months ago.

For the most part I agree. I am in the transport industry also (myself and my coworker who also happens to sign my paycheque run a Trucking company). Our roads have gone to shit with the increase of super heavy loads on them with B-Trains and Turnpike Doubles. Most of Canada's highways where not built with these weights in mind and thus the reason many highway lanes in cross section look like the letter 'W' as they warp from the weight that even two decades ago where unimaginable in this country. They're going to get bigger too. and Walmart is pioneering this.

Canada, even with the greatly increased Truck Traffic in the last couple of decades due to the increased population and the "ship when ordered" instead of the 'regional warehousing' philosophy hasn't kept up with safety in mind. Vancouver to Calgary is 13hrs, and Calgary to Winnipeg is 13hrs, and not enough places for all to stop before then (Canada's max driving time for that reason is 13hr/day as opposed to the USA's 11). ELD's (Electronic Logging Devices) take away the driver's option to stop when fatigued (live GPS & unethical companies that are the minority but it's real) creating fatigued drivers but that's a different debate.

The Fed's have very little to do with the decline of the Railroads. It could be argued that the rail system was more efficient (I'm meaning time efficient and not fuel efficient) a century ago. I remember a Thread by Colpy more than a decade ago about a box of old letters he found in an attic after an elderly family member passed away (I think that's how it happened) where letters back and forth between somewhere in New York State and small town New Brunswick where delivered in a day or two (provable by dated letters and postal marks with 1 or 2 cent stamps). Produce could be shipped by train at that point also. A letter mailed in Regina might go to Winnipeg to get processed before coming back to Regina to be further sorted before it's delivered now instead of being sorted by people on a train while in transit 100 years ago for example.
This post, from a little over two years ago, in today’s light, seems quite prophetic with respect to today’s logistics issues and current supply chain mess.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Nope. The first bigoted asshole gets a certain amount of sympathy. The second bigoted asshole is just a bigoted asshole.

I’d rather be a bigoted asshole, than a Pussified Biden Lover bent on destroying the USA, middle class and turning the USA into a banana Republic with corrupt elections, and government thinking it can ignore Court Rulings like a dictatorship..