Canada’s Tory party left reeling after dismal performance in federal election

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It would be pretty stupid to get rid of O'Trudeau as far as I'm concerned.

The head of Canada’s Conservatives has ordered a review of the party’s dismal performance in Monday’s federal election amid growing questions over the future direction of the party – and his future as its leader.

Canada’s Tory party left reeling after dismal performance in federal election​

The head of Canada’s Conservatives has ordered a review of the party’s dismal performance in Monday’s federal election amid growing questions over the future direction of the party – and his future as its leader.

A chastened Erin O’Toole has said that he and his team were “clearly disappointed” by the outcome of Monday’s vote.

“While we didn’t get the results we had hoped for, I am proud of our team for holding the Liberals to a minority in this pandemic election,” he said, adding that the review would look at how the party could “win the trust next time”.

The loss marks the Conservative’s third straight loss to the Liberals in a federal election, with a pronounced failure to make headway in large cities.

Canada’s Tory party left reeling after dismal performance in federal election | Canada | The Guardian

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Considering that O’Toole didn’t choose to have the election, or it’s timing, or the 36 day short duration, and that due to the Trudeau Suspension of Parliament where the Gov’t for all intents & purposes was run from Justin’s doorstoop to his cottage so the other leaders had no media coverage in that timeframe….& that he was new to that position…. He could’ve done a lot worse and people know who he is now….& like Scheer, O’Toole also got more people to vote for him than Justin Trudeau did.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Can't expect brilliance from someone that uses the Guardian as a source of information.

Funny how Conservatives love to lecture about their sour grapes but don't support proportional representation.

I wonder if O'Trudeau might change that 🤔

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Funny how Conservatives love to lecture about their sour grapes but don't support proportional representation.

PR , if done properly could work. Having gone through two failed votes on PR so far, I have yet to see one that is fair. A fair PR system would give more votes to large rural ridings based on either sq.km. of riding or number of communities represented. This would help balance out the multiple small ridings in cities.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
PR , if done properly could work. Having gone through two failed votes on PR so far, I have yet to see one that is fair. A fair PR system would give more votes to large rural ridings based on either sq.km. of riding or number of communities represented. This would help balance out the multiple small ridings in cities.
I don’t know what the answer is but I don’t like the direction things have taken in the last 1/2 decade or more.

Harper wanted to make Canada into a Canadian Energy Giant. Trudeau wanted to make Canada into a “Woke” hamstrung virtue signaling version of himself without the trust fund. Here we are.

There was a fork in the road & we had two very different paths we could have followed. The Right path or the Left path, & in 2015 Vancouver & Toronto & Montreal & Ottawa chose the Left path for the rest of Canada. It was a pivotal moment for our nation and I believe we chose the wrong path.

I was a child when Trudeau Senior was in power, & I watched my parents fight with 18-19% interest rates on mortgages in his aftermath in the decade that followed his leadership where a different Trudeau lead Canada down the wrong path. I could see what was coming like a slow-motion accident with Trudeau Jr where time seemed to slow down but the accident was going to happen anyway….& all we could try to do was minimize the damage.

Did we though? We re-elected him again, twice! I’m in my 50’s & I’ll ride this out, but I’ve got kids in their late 20’s & early 30’s and grandchildren who will have to live with the aftermath of this decision(s) for the next decade or two to come trying to dig their way out of this mess like my parents had to after the first Trudeau.
Those that don’t learn from history are forced to repeat it….& it’s not going to be pretty.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm 66 so I remember all the damage turdOWE sr did to the country. I also am set for my retirement so unless turdOWE manages to fuck up CPP. MY son is now 41, but they live on the other end of our property and he will inherit the place so there is no need for them to get a mortgage. Grandkids are probably going to be in trouble either earning a decent living around here or being able to afford a house wherever the jobs are.
I built a duplex in 1981. Started when interest was 16% and it hit 21% by the time we were finished building. IfI didn't have the rental income we would have lost it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

None of the PR systems presented so far benefit us. BC voters have rejected two different PR systems so far. Both had the same basic problems, local representation and the plan to give seats to parties. We must have a system that gives us the same voting power as Toronto. Anything less is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
I don’t know what the answer is but I don’t like the direction things have taken in the last 1/2 decade or more.

Harper wanted to make Canada into a Canadian Energy Giant. Trudeau wanted to make Canada into a “Woke” hamstrung virtue signaling version of himself without the trust fund. Here we are.
Terry Gavin's article in the NP this morning focuses on exactly this. Well worth the read.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Trudeau thought he could swing a majority based on his approval figures, trouble with that strategy was that calling for an election two years early caused his approval rating to nose-dive. This election was almost a total waste of time and money except for that it extended the Liberal's mandate by two years. That gives them some time to dig us out of the economic mess we're in before heading back to the polls. The fact that he did lose the popular vote (again) doesn't mean much more than that we'll have to listen to the right cry about what a crook JT is for the next four years. Still, when you don't have any actual policies and crying is all you've got to go with...

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Trudeau thought he could swing a majority based on his approval figures, trouble with that strategy was that calling for an election two years early caused his approval rating to nose-dive. This election was almost a total waste of time and money except for that it extended the Liberal's mandate by two years. That gives them some time to dig us out of the economic mess we're in before heading back to the polls. The fact that he did lose the popular vote (again) doesn't mean much more than that we'll have to listen to the right cry about what a crook JT is for the next four years. Still, when you don't have any actual policies and crying is all you've got to go with...
As opposed to Groper's two major policies. 1) Destroy Canada as a country. 2) Make sure Quebec thrives as a result.
Want things to improve? Changing the electoral process won't change shit as long as the same group of criminals, I mean parties are playing. Want to make a BIG change? Scrap Official Bilingualism. THAT would put a pretty quick end to the regional bullshit the major parties play, Think I'm bullshitting? Of Canada's first 14 PM's only 3 came from Quebec, including Trudeau sr. The rest literally came from all across the country, even the friggin Yukon. Fast forward to Official Bilingualism and since Trudeau sr, 75% of our elected, sitting PM's have come from Quebec.
OB is actually a racist document as it gives favour to a specific group of people in Canada at the expense of the ROC. It effectively made Quebec the de facto province of power in Canada. We've blown almost $1.7 trillion to date on a racist document introduced by a fucking commie piece of shit.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here’s a quote that puts much of this in perspective, & not even trying to pretend that things are otherwise…:

“The fact that this government has been elected by the major cities — I think that we have a voice to be heard,” said the Ensemble Montreal leader.

Montreal & Toronto & Ottawa, & to a lesser extent Vancouver deciding the fate of the rest of Canada. http://apple.news/AqIgByMIwSj6cR4D8JcOwBg Anyway, this below is from a different Montreal Mayoral Candidate:

She vowed that if re-elected, she will continue to work with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on issues that matter to Montrealers. Plante added that she is relieved it’s not a Conservative government. Plante says she’s looking to move forward on issues such as climate change and gun control.

“We need to be more stronger on that front, because every time the SPVM takes the gun out of the street, if there’s tens that are coming in, I mean, it is quite discouraging for everybody,” she said.

So…where doe does this Plante think these “other 10s of guns” are coming from (?) & what does she think the Federal Liberal’s are doing about smuggled American guns (?) and how does this make her glad that the Federal Conservative’s didn’t win ???

Does Montreal dump its raw sewage upstream of where they get their drinking water? Is that what we’re seeing here?

Mouvement Montreal Leader Balarama Holness is going one step further. He wants Montreal to be recognized as a city-state. The mayoral candidate believes this is the only way to thrive as a metropolis.

“This is a multicultural, bilingual (???) metropolis and we want to have more powers, whether it’s taxation, health, immigration. We want to have a voice on the national and international stage,” he said.

Plante, however, is sticking to a more local stage. She wants Trudeau to create a Montreal-centric cabinet.

She wants Trudeau “to create a Montreal -centric cabinet” on the Federal level???

“We have lots of MPs here in Montreal from that new government. And this is definitely helpful because they understand the reality of Montreal,” Plante said.

From the outside looking in (& from the perspective of a Western Canadian not from Montreal or Toronto or Ottawa, or to a lesser extent Vancouver…), what do I need to further understand the “reality of Montreal”??

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Amid a major increase in gun violence in Montreal, incumbent mayor Valérie Plante said the safety of Montrealers is a top priority for her and that’s why she is pledging to spend, if re-elected, an additional $110 million for public security (She better hope that the price of Oil goes up so that Alberta & Saskatchewan can afford to pay for this). The announcement was made at Projet Montréal’s headquarters downtown Saturday afternoon. http://apple.news/AV9Vpq38vRreCwDEWLNI9Ww