Erin O'Toole Under Fire

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
How much resistance did the NDP put up to the Liberal spending spree ? Run away inflation eating the ever increasing value of the dollar , stealing seniors nest eggs . Yup they are the working mans party all right .
What would the CPC have done? Voted themselves a raise and cut taxes on the rich?

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
I agree with most of the above posts. The disconnect between elected officials and those who elect them is systemic, it infects both the major parties thoroughly. I have often thought that having enough independent MPs to amount to a swing vote would go a long way to keeping the two majors a bit more focused on real issues instead of the power game, but that's just not a realistic hope in the short term. I think the NDP could fill that roll for now. I don't think they're ready for power but they could go a long way to keeping a minority government in check. I don't think either the Libs or the Cons can be trusted with a majority just now.

I'm hearing hints that the PM will be visiting Rideau Hall this weekend, writ in hand.
NDP's cannot be trusted to do anything more than whatever serves themselves. Do nothing and get a great pension. Being a parliamentarian is the best job they have ever had and they won't screw it up by abandoning JT. Possible exception for Charlie Angus.

Having not enough votes to win and have the power of control is a beautiful thing. Perfect excuse for not being able to actually get anything done but pretending to care. Getting the pension is the key to their success rather than any kind of personal achievement. Ed Broadbent is a good example. He now leads the Broadbent Institute. I'm sure you have heard of it.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I don't think the federal NDP are ready for leadership in Ottawa, but at the same time I don't believe right wing politics holds the path to a better future. The concept of smaller government, lower taxes and an unregulated free market economy is fine on paper, but it carries the assumpition that "the market" is going to use that freedom responsibly, which they have proven time and again that they have no intention of doing. Environmental decay and growing income disparity show that the corporate sector is there to service itself only. The idea that a booming economy should benefit all stakeholders is just something that comes out at election time, and promptly goes back on the shelf as soon as the votes are counted. Continuing advances by the left will go a long way to keeping both the LIberals and the Conservatives focused on all Canadians.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Funny that.......

The most hated Conservative, the one the left claims was cloned to produce O'Toole (I wish) is Stephen Harper.

He cut taxes for the poor, and cut MP pensions, including his own.

Give your head a shake.
Sorry, but that does not fit with the dogma.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Funny that.......

The most hated Conservative, the one the left claims was cloned to produce O'Toole (I wish) is Stephen Harper.

He cut taxes for the poor, and cut MP pensions, including his own.

Give your head a shake.
Harper's legacy is a mixture of good and bad, but he is history, and let's not forget that he was shown the door by the voters, leaving behind a country more divided than ever before. O'Toole is as nothing-burger, his party is rife with internal discord, and their "Policy Declaration" released earlier this year is seventy-some pages of vagueness and same-old. The pandemic has shone a spotlight on problems of inequality and the Conservative party is quietly devoted to maintaining a status quo of privilege according to bank account.

That being said, I don't see the Liberals as being a whole lot better, but in terms of political philosophy they do put more emphasis on creating an economy where everyone can get ahead, not just the few at the top.

A Conservative vote is a step in the wrong direction. Unless you're rich.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Harper's legacy is a mixture of good an bad, but he is history, and let';s not forget that he was shown the door by the voters. O'Toole is as nothing-burger, his party is rife with internal discord, and their "Policy Declaration" released earlier this year is seventy-some pages of vagueness and same-old. The pandemic has shone a spotlight on problems of inequality and the Conservative party is quietly devoted to maintaining a status quo of privilege according to bank account.

That being said, I don't see the Liberals as being a whole lot better, but in terms of political philosophy they do put more emphasis on creating an economy where everyone can get ahead, not just the few at the top.

Wrong on both counts. Harper never did anything bad. Liberals have never been interested in anything except riches for the Laurentian elite. They are just better liars because they have had more practice lying.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Wrong on both counts. Harper never did anything bad. Liberals have never been interested in anything except riches for the Laurentian elite. They are just better liars because they have had more practice lying.
Apparently a majority of voters disagreed with you.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Harper's legacy is a mixture of good and bad, but he is history, and let's not forget that he was shown the door by the voters, leaving behind a country more divided than ever before. O'Toole is as nothing-burger, his party is rife with internal discord, and their "Policy Declaration" released earlier this year is seventy-some pages of vagueness and same-old. The pandemic has shone a spotlight on problems of inequality and the Conservative party is quietly devoted to maintaining a status quo of privilege according to bank account.

Wow. You have things completely upside down.

The Liberal Party is the party of Bay Street. Want evidence? The PM was born a millionaire, the finance minister for 5 years was born a millionaire, while the leader and the finance critic of the Conservatives were born to modest, middle class families.

Want more evidence? The Liberal Party hid a clause in an omnibus bill alloing deferred prosecutions for the benefit of SNC-Lavalin, and then interferred with a criminal prosecution to spare the Laurentian Elite a prosecution on bribery charges.

Now THAT is privilege by bank account.

The Liberals are doing what lefty morons always do.....wrecking the economy so everyone (except the elites) are equally miserable.

Add to that fact they have burdened us with debt that will cause inflation, eating up peoples' savings and degrading their quality of life, and the fact that they are a threat to liberty, are trying to shut down free speech, and have violated the spirit (if not the letter) of the Charter a couple of times.........and their absolute lack of either ethics or competence, and it is clear that a vote for the Liberals is simple national suicide.

In fact, considering that the only other national party in the House will vote for the Liberal minority every time, a vote for anyone other than the Conservative Party is a move in the wrong direction.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He is to much White Bread.. plain.. I'd rather see Trudeau in power than this tool.

Pierre Poilievre is who Canada needs.. I'm going to throw my vote away on Trudeau and next year leave Canada for Australia..

Then you are contributing to the continuing carnage caused to Canada by the Liberal gov't.

in reality, there are only two choices; Lib/NDP count as one, the Conservatives the other.

and O'Toole, despite his flaws, is miles ahead of Trudeau/Singh.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Wow. You have things completely upside down.

The Liberal Party is the party of Bay Street. Want evidence? The PM was born a millionaire, the finance minister for 5 years was born a millionaire, while the leader and the finance critic of the Conservatives were born to modest, middle class families.

Want more evidence? The Liberal Party hid a clause in an omnibus bill alloing deferred prosecutions for the benefit of SNC-Lavalin, and then interferred with a criminal prosecution to spare the Laurentian Elite a prosecution on bribery charges.

Now THAT is privilege by bank account.

The Liberals are doing what lefty morons always do.....wrecking the economy so everyone (except the elites) are equally miserable.

Add to that fact they have burdened us with debt that will cause inflation, eating up peoples' savings and degrading their quality of life, and the fact that they are a threat to liberty, are trying to shut down free speech, and have violated the spirit (if not the letter) of the Charter a couple of times.........and their absolute lack of either ethics or competence, and it is clear that a vote for the Liberals is simple national suicide.

In fact, considering that the only other national party in the House will vote for the Liberal minority every time, a vote for anyone other than the Conservative Party is a move in the wrong direction.
Unless you believe that the country is broken beyond repair , in that case vote liberal to help the inevitable breakup along .

Reactions: taxslave

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Unless you believe that the country is broken beyond repair , in that case vote liberal to help the inevitable breakup along .
I don't think it's broken beyond repair, it's just in need of a tune-up. The free-market capitalism with government sponsored social programs model is basically a good one, it keeps those who need help covered and still rewards individual achievement. In my opinion we have let it slip out of balance, where the freedom of a "free" market is not being used responsibly by the corporate sector. A disproportionate amount of the benefits are going to a very few, and a little more "trickle down" that shows up in benefit for all Canadians is in order. It's worth the time to put a little research in to just what sort of effects our current level of income inequality is having on the overall picture. It's worth the time to put a little research into the effects neo-liberal policies have had since their appearance in the sixties and seventies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are you one of those who bitch about CEOs making a few million a year while guzzling beer and watching some asshole from a barrio make $10K per swing of a baseball bat?

Last edited:
Reactions: taxslave