Erin O'Toole Under Fire

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The Conservative Party is at odds with itself. Can O’Toole pull it together?

I had some high expectations from Mr. O'Toole early on, he spoke of issues that in any other context would have branded him as a "leftie", racial and economic inequality, and environmental responsibility. But his efforts to attract more voters from the center have divided his own party internally, with the social conservative segment openly speaking mutiny. This could be fatal for the CPC, if O'Toole can't be seen as able to control his own party, who is going to want to give him the keys to the country ?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Conservative Party is at odds with itself. Can O’Toole pull it together?

I had some high expectations from Mr. O'Toole early on, he spoke of issues that in any other context would have branded him as a "leftie", racial and economic inequality, and environmental responsibility. But his efforts to attract more voters from the center have divided his own party internally, with the social conservative segment openly speaking mutiny. This could be fatal for the CPC, if O'Toole can't be seen as able to control his own party, who is going to want to give him the keys to the country ?

It won't be fatal for the CPC. Conservatives are always somewhat divided, as conservatives do not engage in unithink, as does the left.

i was fine with O'Toole. I voted for him as leader. I am still Conservative, and I will still support him as the best offered............but I could not believe the Conservative Party voted FOR the motion allowing Quebec to unilaterally change the constitution......which is blatantly unconstitutional.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Rod Phillips back in as Minister of Long Term Care for Ontario six months after the Christmas video / St Barts vacation during pandemic restrictions fiasco.

Seems kind of lame.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
What's wrong with the lyin' freak we got now?

If it was a an empire he'd be an emperor, or if it was a kingdom he would be a king...but NO...It's a country.
;)
The best he can hope for would be a dick tatoe ship.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Apparently on the Roy Green show this weekend, Roy interviewed O'Toole on Saturday. I only heard an excerpt of the interview on Sunday since Roy replayed the portion regarding the ability of Quebec to unilaterally amend the Constitution. Roy questioned O'Toole specifically on this and was wondering why over 200 MP's voted for this giving Quebec so much power. O'Toole countered by stating that all the provinces would have the same ability to amend the constitution providing the amendment was specific to each province's needs (or something like that). What the hell that means is beyond me. Can Alberta decide not to participate in transfer payments then? I bet not and I bet that if Quebec wants more $$ they'll get it. It's all about votes and nothing to do with what's best for the country and ALL parties are complicit.

I'm of the opinion that this is extremely dangerous to our confederation and that it will take only 1 province to screw things up for everyone else. I'm appalled that the MP's voted for it. The BQ obviously took advantage of the situation in order to get this passed. We need to contact our MP's to say this is NOT what we currently need and that it will prove even more divisive over time.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The trouble is: if voting counted, they wouldn't let us do it.
Oo
Like Stalin said: "it isn't who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes.

Oh well, Bolsheviks, Trotskyites, and Marxists NEVER get in by popular support - they just need other people's money and weapons.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The goal of every party is to be elected. If you stray to far from the centre you lose support of voters.
That's the tough spot O'Toole is in. Too close to center and he loses the far right within his party. Even now he is seeing dissent within the party ranks, and outwardly they are bleeding support to fringe parties like the PPC and Maverick party who see his current trouble as opportunity for them.

Kenney’s political woes and Maverick Party could put at least four Alberta ridings in play in the next federal election

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That's the tough spot O'Toole is in. Too close to center and he loses the far right within his party. Even now he is seeing dissent within the party ranks, and outwardly they are bleeding support to fringe parties like the PPC and Maverick party who see his current trouble as opportunity for them.

Kenney’s political woes and Maverick Party could put at least four Alberta ridings in play in the next federal election
If I want Liberal I will vote Liberal .

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Apparently on the Roy Green show this weekend, Roy interviewed O'Toole on Saturday. I only heard an excerpt of the interview on Sunday since Roy replayed the portion regarding the ability of Quebec to unilaterally amend the Constitution. Roy questioned O'Toole specifically on this and was wondering why over 200 MP's voted for this giving Quebec so much power. O'Toole countered by stating that all the provinces would have the same ability to amend the constitution providing the amendment was specific to each province's needs (or something like that). What the hell that means is beyond me. Can Alberta decide not to participate in transfer payments then? I bet not and I bet that if Quebec wants more $$ they'll get it. It's all about votes and nothing to do with what's best for the country and ALL parties are complicit.

I'm of the opinion that this is extremely dangerous to our confederation and that it will take only 1 province to screw things up for everyone else. I'm appalled that the MP's voted for it. The BQ obviously took advantage of the situation in order to get this passed. We need to contact our MP's to say this is NOT what we currently need and that it will prove even more divisive over time.
Thing is our MP's have never had it so good and after a while they have started to believe they are important. Mostly because they are making so much money.

They will never vote to change this. They eat filet mignon for lunch on your dime.

There is actually a Minister of Middle Class Prosperity and probably a half dozen deputy ministers. Anyone know what they do?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The tool is nothing but liberal lite. Like liberals he is only interested in power, not doing what is right for the country.
That doesn't leave a lot to choose from does it? The spin-off right wing fringe parties aren't established enough to be a serious threat, and splitting the right wing vote is a ticket to ride for the Liberals. O'Toole is at the head of a party in disarray as centrists and social conservative factions within squabble amongst themselves. JT, as much as people love to hate him, is in a sweet spot for the moment with the Covid vaccination program seeing progress in knocking back new infections from 9000/day in April to less than a tenth of that today. Reopening is well underway and restrictions are disappearing daily. If the threat of the new variants doesn't prove serious in the face of a mostly vaccinated population. If things approach any level of normal in the near future I expect we'll see an election call even though it's likely we'll still be wearing our masks.

I have an easy decision in my riding. Our two-term NDP incumbent has proven to be part of that rare breed of politician, one who is actually concerned about his electorate, and one who has actually produced some positive changes despite not having a party in power in Ottawa. I will have no problem voting for him again as the way I see it, any significant gains by the federal NDP will send a "smarten-ta-fuk-up" to the two major players.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Thing is our MP's have never had it so good and after a while they have started to believe they are important. Mostly because they are making so much money.

They will never vote to change this. They eat filet mignon for lunch on your dime.

There is actually a Minister of Middle Class Prosperity and probably a half dozen deputy ministers. Anyone know what they do?
Collect their bloat
That doesn't leave a lot to choose from does it? The spin-off right wing fringe parties aren't established enough to be a serious threat, and splitting the right wing vote is a ticket to ride for the Liberals. O'Toole is at the head of a party in disarray as centrists and social conservative factions within squabble amongst themselves. JT, as much as people love to hate him, is in a sweet spot for the moment with the Covid vaccination program seeing progress in knocking back new infections from 9000/day in April to less than a tenth of that today. Reopening is well underway and restrictions are disappearing daily. If the threat of the new variants doesn't prove serious in the face of a mostly vaccinated population. If things approach any level of normal in the near future I expect we'll see an election call even though it's likely we'll still be wearing our masks.

I have an easy decision in my riding. Our two-term NDP incumbent has proven to be part of that rare breed of politician, one who is actually concerned about his electorate, and one who has actually produced some positive changes despite not having a party in power in Ottawa. I will have no problem voting for him again as the way I see it, any significant gains by the federal NDP will send a "smarten-ta-fuk-up" to the two major players.
you go right ahead and vote for them ,but don’t expect many to follow .

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
you go right ahead and vote for them ,but don’t expect many to follow .
People are happy with him here, I fully expect him to keep his seat. That will be good enough for me. Canada as a whole is unlikely to put the NDP in power federally, that's an awful big step top the left for a country still jockeying over different flavours of center.