CFL 2021

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The potential for Canadian expansion teams and getting more asses in the seats is a damn good thing. I'm tired of having carry teams like the Lions and Argos.
Toronto and Vancouver are big enough that they fancy they might get a real football team.

Good news is I can usually get good seats on a moments notice when the Riders come to town (if I am not travelling at the time).

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
New NFL tv deal is reported to be worth more than $100 billion over the next ten years.

Each single game television revenue to equal the total amount of annual revenue for the CFL. CFL locked in with TSN at $C50 million for the next five years is an insider deal imo and will not be good for the players or the fans. Probably safe to say that a high % of the NFL market is aware of the CFL

Maybe if they let the players have 1/3 ownership and seats on the board but I'm not seeing it heading in that direction. I like good football but don't care for the rich team owners. Maybe once they are back on the field we can just go back to how it was.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
According to John Hodge

"CFL players got 52 per cent of league revenue in 1976. Today, they receive approximately 25 per cent. For comparison, NFL players will receive 48 per cent of league revenue in 2021, while NHL and NBA players get 50 per cent.

Taking inflation into account, the CFL’s annual revenue has quadrupled since 1976 and the value of its television contract has increased by 700 per cent. Meanwhile, player costs have only increased by a little over 50 per cent.

The CFL doesn’t have a broken business model. If its business model was ever broken, it was broken in 1976."

Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Early conspiracy theory is that the CFL will limp through whatever they decide to do for 2021. When the CFLPA agreement expires next year the league tries to go with the XFL for 2022 without the players association.

Who would not want to play in the NFL when 48% of a $13 Billion deal goes to the players over the term of the agreement. CFL players getting 25% of US 37 million pales in comparison. There are fewer players in the CFL.

Reactions: Mowich and petros

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020

CFL unveils 2021 schedule, Ticats-Bombers to open season

The CFL released its 2021 schedule Friday, and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats will face the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the opening game of the regular season.

The 2019 Grey Cup rematch will take place Thursday, June 10. The preseason kicks off May 23 with the BC Lions traveling to face the Calgary Stampeders.

"We're looking forward to hosting our comeback season in our stadiums, in front of our fans," CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in the announcement. "With this schedule, we're signaling that we're looking forward with optimism to playing in 2021."

The CFL nixed the 2020 season due to COVID-19 issues and a lack of funding from the Canadian government.

To limit cross-country travel, the 2021 schedule includes eight more divisional games than usual. As a result, not every team will visit every stadium at least once over the course of the season.

The Labor Day week - Week 13 - features five games:

The 2021 Grey Cup will be awarded Nov. 21, with Hamilton set to serve as the host city.

What did he mean by in front of our fans? Will we be able to attend any games in person at a stadium or in front of a TV only? Beer will be a lot cheaper staying at home. Lol. Will people have to wear a face diaper mask and stay their distance from others or will fans be able to enter a stadium mask free and fans will be able to sit close together? By May this virus should be gone. Well, maybe be gone. That will depend on our dear leaders and whether they want to keep this bull chit going. my feelings are that they want to keep it going. Just saying. :LOL:

Reactions: Mowich

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What did he mean by in front of our fans? Will we be able to attend any games in person at a stadium or in front of a TV only? Beer will be a lot cheaper staying at home. Lol. Will people have to wear a face diaper mask and stay their distance from others or will fans be able to enter a stadium mask free and fans will be able to sit close together? By May this virus should be gone. Well, maybe be gone. That will depend on our dear leaders and whether they want to keep this bull chit going. my feelings are that they want to keep it going. Just saying. :LOL:
Its a go until the Ottawa Variant which is coming by June will change that. It votes by mail for you without you knowing.

"Of course that was you who voted. You were high on covid1984. Don't you remember?"

Last edited:

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Now they can start the season on time if the players take a 20% pay cut. Have to give them credit for trying.

Obviously they have to transition away from ticket sales being the main source of revenue. Considering everyone will watch on tv maybe they should go back to tsn and let them know it is not going to work.

Looks to me like I have spent my last dime on the CFL . Players playing is what it is all about.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Hammer the players down first. Then hit the fans with the same sob story and hike prices as high as they can.

Then release the single game gambling revenue news that will fill their coffers. Maybe it works.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Bombers playing the sad music and reporting a $7 million loss despite spending $8 million on football ops and marketing in a year when they did basically nothing. Convenient that big Wade wasn't wearing the giant diamond encrusted Grey Cup ring he spent all that money on. No word about the soccer team or the waste of money on the 2020 bubble dome fiasco. MOP of the team is the accountant.

Wade doesn't see it but he is one of the reasons people are losing interest in the league. He pays himself more than the Premier of Ontario and you tell me how to get rid of him. Of course he is doing it for the fans and will be sorry that tickets and concessions need to generate more revenue.

Greed is a problem

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
CFL plunking along. Bob Young says there will be football.

Younger rosters is what I am seeing. Lots of the recent draft picks will be playing.

Love Ottawa signing Frank Beltre which is what made me post about the CFL.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
What is not legal in Canada? Not making as much as they thought selling pot so may as well double down on gambling. CFL will get a cut that they will not want to share with the players or fans. Rich get richer.1622119836326.png

Reactions: Twin_Moose

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
CFL jumping on the band wagon and commenting on the Kamloops discovery is as hypocritical as it gets with not one indigenous player, coach, or manager in the league.

Reactions: DaSleeper

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
From John Hodge's Insider Talk

Points to TSN again as the exclusive broadcast rights holder who bought the rights for a song and do nothing with them. Squeeze the players instead of growing the game. TSN has been a pain since day one. They think they are something special,

"The CFL product is better than The Spring League product yet they’ve got games on Fox Sports, which is a pretty big network down here (in the States). The CFL is hard to find on television. People down here like it, but they have a hard time finding it."

Reactions: Twin_Moose

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Maybe the natives aren't into football?
I have worked with many and they are enthusiastic sports fans who have had little exposure to the opportunity to learn and play. Ability and interest is not the problem. And Indigenous people would support them which translates into fast cash for the CFL. Instead they have skills competitions in Japan.

I grew up loving the CFL, went to lots of games and spent lots of money but this is not the CFL of my youth. More of a good old boys with exclusive rights club who think they are smarter than everyone else and are in it for the money. They jack the price of a ticket for the Grey Cup to $350 or more but give away the same tin cup every year. Costs $500 to get new names added.

The whole global sports thing is overboard. To think it is actually an industry that people work for a living in is a bit scary. I am glad for the #5 defenceman that earns $1.7 annually but he makes so much he won't need any of mine.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have worked with many and they are enthusiastic sports fans who have had little exposure to the opportunity to learn and play. Ability and interest is not the problem. And Indigenous people would support them which translates into fast cash for the CFL. Instead they have skills competitions in Japan.

I grew up loving the CFL, went to lots of games and spent lots of money but this is not the CFL of my youth. More of a good old boys with exclusive rights club who think they are smarter than everyone else and are in it for the money. They jack the price of a ticket for the Grey Cup to $350 or more but give away the same tin cup every year. Costs $500 to get new names added.

The whole global sports thing is overboard. To think it is actually an industry that people work for a living in is a bit scary. I am glad for the #5 defenceman that earns $1.7 annually but he makes so much he won't need any of mine.
Like any other player who wants to join the CFL they could turn up at training camp and give it a go. There are junior league native/white football teams that enthusiastically embrace the sport. Follow that by joining high school and universities teams and they will have the experience they need to try out for the big league. Nothing stopping them from doing just that.