It's Official: Solar Is the Cheapest Electricity in History

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

It's Official: Solar Is the Cheapest Electricity in History​

Solar-Energy.jpg

The International Energy Agency (IEA) says the cost per megawatt to build solar plants is below fossil fuels worldwide for the first time.Public success stories like Elon Musk's solar and wind battery farm in Australia have helped move public sentiment.All four IEA scenarios include a mix of renewables as well as nuclear and the world's remaining fossil fuel plants.

In a new report, the International Energy Agency (IEA) says solar is now the cheapest form of electricity for utility companies to build. That’s thanks to risk-reducing financial policies around the world, the agency says, and it applies to locations with both the most favorable policies and the easiest access to financing. The report underlines how important these policies are to encouraging development of renewables and other environmentally forward technologies.

Carbon Brief (CB) summarizes the annual report with a lot of key details. The World Energy Outlook 2020 “offers four ‘pathways’ to 2040, all of which see a major rise in renewables,” CB says. “The IEA’s main scenario has 43 [percent] more solar output by 2040 than it expected in 2018, partly due to detailed new analysis showing that solar power is 20 [to] 50 [percent] cheaper than thought.”

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
One would have to see the full cost analysis before believing this article.
For instance Solar energy always needs a backup which means another source of energy has to be included in the cost analysis. Things like Solar panels have a life span of only eight yrs and then have to be replaced also have to be included in the costs, as well as the size of footprint required for the installation.

I think it’s still a long ways off before Solar becomes economical in Canada.

Bigrthi

Mar 25, 2020
Wow that is always a terrific invention to save energy. Thus we also have to take care our mother nature.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

It's Official: Solar Is the Cheapest Electricity in History​

View attachment 3037

The International Energy Agency (IEA) says the cost per megawatt to build solar plants is below fossil fuels worldwide for the first time.Public success stories like Elon Musk's solar and wind battery farm in Australia have helped move public sentiment.All four IEA scenarios include a mix of renewables as well as nuclear and the world's remaining fossil fuel plants.

In a new report, the International Energy Agency (IEA) says solar is now the cheapest form of electricity for utility companies to build. That’s thanks to risk-reducing financial policies around the world, the agency says, and it applies to locations with both the most favorable policies and the easiest access to financing. The report underlines how important these policies are to encouraging development of renewables and other environmentally forward technologies.

Carbon Brief (CB) summarizes the annual report with a lot of key details. The World Energy Outlook 2020 “offers four ‘pathways’ to 2040, all of which see a major rise in renewables,” CB says. “The IEA’s main scenario has 43 [percent] more solar output by 2040 than it expected in 2018, partly due to detailed new analysis showing that solar power is 20 [to] 50 [percent] cheaper than thought.”

How well will solar panels work in the Arctic for the next 4 months?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A few well paced Millions into pockets of corrupt politicians to push forward an industry that's not practical, but feels good, for the world energy needs to make Billions, is a pretty good scam IMO
Solar actually works well in places like Africa where they only need to run a couple of dim lightbulbs. Soon as any industry hooks up the story changes. Of course the solar pimps don't believe we should have any industry of any kind anywhere.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Solar actually works well in places like Africa where they only need to run a couple of dim lightbulbs. Soon as any industry hooks up the story changes. Of course the solar pimps don't believe we should have any industry of any kind anywhere.
I think solar works to supplement power. I have seen it on roofs (otherwise not used for anything) and no doubt the effect is reduced use of power from the grid for that building. I think it can also be used to suppliment peak power on the grid but it will never replace workhorse power like nuclear or coal. The last statement also applies to wind.

LewisScott

Nominee Member
Dec 7, 2020
I would not say this proudly but Solar Energy might be the main source of generating electricity across the world, except for the places which are mostly rainy. The rate at which the other resources are depleting the reliance on renewable resources is way too much and I think people should definitely think of such strategies at a domestic level as well.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
I would not say this proudly but Solar Energy might be the main source of generating electricity across the world, except for the places which are mostly rainy. The rate at which the other resources are depleting the reliance on renewable resources is way too much and I think people should definitely think of such strategies at a domestic level as well.
Three Gorges Dam has the solar industry beat by itself. Heard it from the top that "water can be counted on". Also greener than the solar panel business.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I always found that the best places to hunt moose was around beaver dams..

One year we got lucky and got one by the little long hydro dam

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
I think solar works to supplement power. I have seen it on roofs (otherwise not used for anything) and no doubt the effect is reduced use of power from the grid for that building. I think it can also be used to supplement peak power on the grid but it will never replace workhorse power like nuclear or coal. The last statement also applies to wind.
I wonder if people who are considering throwing a solar array on their roof also factor in the cost of new roof membrane or shingles prior to installation. Roof replacement after a solar array is installed significantly increases the cost of re-roof. Installing solar on some bagged out old roof is throwing money out the window.

Reactions: taxslave and petros