Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Canadian Politicians thoughts on banning guns throughout the years.

"My vision of Canada is one where the only people who should have guns are police officers and soldiers.”
~ Justice Minister Alan Rock, 1994
“The registering of hunting rifles is the first step in the social re-engineering of Canadians".
~ also Sharon Carstairs, 1996
“Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new human social agenda.” ~ also Lloyd Axworthy, 1998
"I don't believe a handgun should be in the hands of anybody,"
- RCMP Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli, Calgary Herald, 2001.05.28, Page A2 ___________________________
"C-68 has little to do with gun control or crime control, but it is the first step necessary to begin the social re-engineering of Canada."
- Senator Sharon Carstairs (Liberal), 1996 January 26 - 11th Annual Community Legal Education Associations (CLEA) Conference, Winnipeg, Manitoba ___________________________

"The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police is of the firm opinion that a Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms enshrined in a Constitution is neither necessary nor desirable."

-Briefing, concerning the proposed resolution respecting the constitution of Canada, presented on behalf of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, Law Amendments Committee, to the Senate/House of Commons Special Joint Committee on the Constitution of Canada, on November 27, 1980

NDP Montreal Policy Conference 2013
3-23-13 Resolution to Maintain the Classification of Prohibited Weapons in its Entirety
BE IT RESOLVED that the NPD call on the government of Canada to immediately reclassify nonrestricted
military-style semi-automatic rifles as prohibited weapons, as many of Canada’s police forces
and coroners are requesting, with a view to taking these weapons off the market and ensuring they
remain traceable to and in the possession of their owners at all times, despite the abolition of the longgun
registry.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the NPD call on the Government of Canada to ensure that the
Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons,
Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles be updated at least once yearly to include
new weapons on the market or those that have been superficially altered to avoid a restrictive
classification.

NDP Policy Book, Section 3.9D ______________________

"If we’re going to restrict everything that has any possibility to do us harm, then the government’s going to be pretty busy... It’s not the gun, it’s the person. Why would we want to go around chasing our tails, trying to chase something that is not the problem? The ability to do a lot of damage with a firearm exists even with something as archaic as the Old West double-barreled shotgun, which is limited to two shots... It’s absolutely unbelievable how fast a skilled operator can shoot and load something like that and the number of shots they can fire in a limited amount of time. The difference between that and a semi-automatic for the purposes of mass murder is inconsequential.”
-Alan Voth, a firearms forensics expert and retired veteran of the RCMP , Maclean's Magazine, December 18, 2012

"Gangs are the Problem"
"Gang members are not going to show up (to a gun amnesty) with their 9mm's and their 357's and get a new camera."
"They (gang members) don't spend a lot of time at the range"
-Senator Vern White (Ottawa Police Chief 2007-2012), Brian Lilley Show, Sept 28th, 2016

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
https://globalnews.ca/news/6893821/firearms-ban-ipsos-poll-canada/

Here is the reality of the situation.

52% of Canadians in cities support a total gun ban.

All guns.

Not just assault weapons and handguns.

PS I happen to need a shotgun because of where and how I live. I would not surrender it.

That does not change the fact that there should be no guns in Canadian cities/schools/churches/houses of government/shopping centers/concert halls/hockey arenas and on and on

Canadians have had it with guns and gun violence and I don't blame them

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
All guns.
PS I happen to need a shotgun because of where and how I live. I would not surrender it.
That does not change the fact that there should be no guns in Canadian cities/schools/churches/houses of government/shopping centers/concert halls/hockey arenas and on and on

How will taking away the guns of law abiding gun owners going to stop the violence perpetrated by criminals and gangs in the cities?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
How will my answering that question change how many Canadians want guns banned?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
When you get fired by the NRA you really get fired!

cut and paste from the article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/03/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

The coronavirus pandemic is forcing the National Rifle Association to off dozens of employees, cancel its annual convention and abandon fundraising and shooting events which would normally be important to rally its base in an election year, the Associated Press reported.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
As I have said before, I have no use for guns...If they all had to go away, it wouldn't affect my life. However, you would have guarrentee that ALL guns go away.....every last one. Can you guarentee that Hoidy.....or Justin.

Didn't think so

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

All guns.

You can pry my soldering gun from my cold dead hands!

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
As I have said before, I have no use for guns...If they all had to go away, it wouldn't affect my life. However, you would have guarrentee that ALL guns go away.....every last one. Can you guarentee that Hoidy.....or Justin.

Didn't think so

I have no use for fire extinguishers, if they all went away it wouldnt affect my life it would just place an uneccessay burden on our front line workers. They would need to place a full time person in my house to put out tiny grease fires that might lead to something much more tragic.

Until then, I guess I will just keep my fire extinguisher.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
All guns.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
I would feel much more comfortable about a handgun ban if various government employees were prohibited from packing as well. Specifically fisheries and wildlife cops.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
GUNTER: The Liberals' conniving and undemocratic gun control measures

Lorne Gunter

Published: May 2, 2020
Updated: May 2, 2020 6:00 PM EDT

Gun control “was one of the key planks in our election campaign,” Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland told a news briefing on Thursday. “We received a strong mandate from Canadians to act on gun control.”

Um, maybe I should Google the results of the 2019 federal election again just to be sure but, if memory serves me, the Liberals only won a minority in that vote.

That means the Trudeau government doesn’t have a “strong mandate from Canadians” to do anything.

Especially not confiscate tens of millions of dollars of private property with the stroke of a pen. Without going to Parliament. In the middle of a public-health emergency.

The Trudeauites have decided to appease their base (which doesn’t know Thing One about gun violence), by pandering to fears about mass shootings, at a time when the public is fixated on the pandemic and Parliament is not sitting in a fashion that could hold the government to account.

Sounds a tad conniving to me. And undemocratic, too.

The ban on “assault-style” rifles — 1,500 models in all and maybe a total of 250,000 guns — is kind of a half measure. It’s not an outright ban of the guns on the government’s lengthy list. It’s more of a stranding.

Current owners may keep the rifles until they die, at which time their estates must turn them over to the government. But they cannot sell them to other gun owners during their lifetimes. And it is not even clear whether they can still legally use them to shoot targets or hunt.

Once the government works out the details, owners can sell them to authorities for “fair market value,” after which the feds will presumably destroy the guns.

But if the market for these guns has been halted and current owners cannot even use the guns for sport, what do you imagine their fair market value will be? Ten cents on the dollar?

I am not a gun owner. Never have been. This doesn’t affect my recreations or my pocketbook in any way.

But this sort of assault by government on the rights of legit citizens — for no other reason than political optics — drives me up the wall.

As I have written, time and time before, I do not trust any government that does not trust my law-abiding neighbours to own guns.
Friday’s move by the Trudeau government would have done nothing to prevent the mass murder in Nova Scotia two weeks ago, because the new ban applies only to licensed gun owners and their legally acquired firearms.

Gabriel Wortman, the crazed gunman who killed 22 people around Portapique, was not a licensed owner nor were the guns he used purchased legally.

He would not have been stopped by the new ban any more than he was prevented by Canada’s existing, strict gun laws from killing a Mountie and nearly everyone he seemingly ever had a gripe with, plus some innocent strangers just for the hell of it.
Indeed, it is highly unlikely Friday’s new regulations would have prevented the Ecole Polytechnique shooting in 1989, the Quebec City mosque shooting in 2017 or Toronto’s Danforth shooting in 2018.

Nor will the new regs cut down on gun violence in general.

Mentally ill people do mass shootings. Gang members and drug dealers mostly do the individual shootings — and with illegal handguns rather than legit rifles.

The Liberals have no idea where to find the 450,000 people in Canada who are prohibited from owning guns due to convictions for violent crimes or past mental-health issues.

Instead, to show “progressive” voters how tough they are on crime, the Trudeau government has decided to decree new restrictions on legal gun owners who already aren’t committing gun crimes.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colu...Ei_DIj7S0wEnUZSsi-3_K7RgVksTFJdYfv4hIXcLLqJBo

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Didn't think so
Nope the police and the PM’s security detail will keep theirs . If no one has guns , why would the police need them . We should just give the bobbies big sticks .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
GUNTER: The Liberals' conniving and undemocratic gun control measures

Lorne Gunter

Published: May 2, 2020
Updated: May 2, 2020 6:00 PM EDT

Gun control “was one of the key planks in our election campaign,” Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland told a news briefing on Thursday. “We received a strong mandate from Canadians to act on gun control.”

Um, maybe I should Google the results of the 2019 federal election again just to be sure but, if memory serves me, the Liberals only won a minority in that vote.

That means the Trudeau government doesn’t have a “strong mandate from Canadians” to do anything.

Especially not confiscate tens of millions of dollars of private property with the stroke of a pen. Without going to Parliament. In the middle of a public-health emergency.

The Trudeauites have decided to appease their base (which doesn’t know Thing One about gun violence), by pandering to fears about mass shootings, at a time when the public is fixated on the pandemic and Parliament is not sitting in a fashion that could hold the government to account.

Sounds a tad conniving to me. And undemocratic, too.

The ban on “assault-style” rifles — 1,500 models in all and maybe a total of 250,000 guns — is kind of a half measure. It’s not an outright ban of the guns on the government’s lengthy list. It’s more of a stranding.

Current owners may keep the rifles until they die, at which time their estates must turn them over to the government. But they cannot sell them to other gun owners during their lifetimes. And it is not even clear whether they can still legally use them to shoot targets or hunt.

Once the government works out the details, owners can sell them to authorities for “fair market value,” after which the feds will presumably destroy the guns.

But if the market for these guns has been halted and current owners cannot even use the guns for sport, what do you imagine their fair market value will be? Ten cents on the dollar?

I am not a gun owner. Never have been. This doesn’t affect my recreations or my pocketbook in any way.

But this sort of assault by government on the rights of legit citizens — for no other reason than political optics — drives me up the wall.

As I have written, time and time before, I do not trust any government that does not trust my law-abiding neighbours to own guns.
Friday’s move by the Trudeau government would have done nothing to prevent the mass murder in Nova Scotia two weeks ago, because the new ban applies only to licensed gun owners and their legally acquired firearms.

Gabriel Wortman, the crazed gunman who killed 22 people around Portapique, was not a licensed owner nor were the guns he used purchased legally.

He would not have been stopped by the new ban any more than he was prevented by Canada’s existing, strict gun laws from killing a Mountie and nearly everyone he seemingly ever had a gripe with, plus some innocent strangers just for the hell of it.
Indeed, it is highly unlikely Friday’s new regulations would have prevented the Ecole Polytechnique shooting in 1989, the Quebec City mosque shooting in 2017 or Toronto’s Danforth shooting in 2018.

Nor will the new regs cut down on gun violence in general.

Mentally ill people do mass shootings. Gang members and drug dealers mostly do the individual shootings — and with illegal handguns rather than legit rifles.

The Liberals have no idea where to find the 450,000 people in Canada who are prohibited from owning guns due to convictions for violent crimes or past mental-health issues.

Instead, to show “progressive” voters how tough they are on crime, the Trudeau government has decided to decree new restrictions on legal gun owners who already aren’t committing gun crimes.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colu...Ei_DIj7S0wEnUZSsi-3_K7RgVksTFJdYfv4hIXcLLqJBo
The government ought to do something . A familiar refrain , that always brings more laws , red tape and bureaucrats . And every time more freedom is taken away .

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012

That sums it up quite well.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
I would feel much more comfortable about a handgun ban if various government employees were prohibited from packing as well. Specifically fisheries and wildlife cops.
Because you're afraid they'll shoot you?

You want to able to fire back at them?

Are you a 10 year old ?

PS please don't go out into the bush or onto the water with a loaded handgun. Especially if you're trying to kill yourself. Get some help.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Trudeau and Blair BAN 12 Gauge and 10 Gauge SHOTGUNS!

The Canadian Shooting Sports Association and the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association demand the immediate withdrawal of the Liberal's flawed Order in Council.

May 5, 2020

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Minister Bill Blair looked Canadian gun owners in the eye last Friday and said they would not take guns suitable for hunting away from us.

Mr. Blair is either too inept to comprehend the scope of his new regulations...or he lied to the Government and Canadians.

In the legal opinion of our firearms team - headed by Edward Burlew L.L.B. , one of the foremost experts in Canadian firearms law - Bill Blair banned almost every modern 12-gauge and 10-gauge shotgun in Canada with removable chokes because they exceed the maximum bore diameter of 20 mm as defined in SOR/2020-96.

Canada's firearms industry body, the CSAAA, advises retailers to cease sales of many 12-gauge or larger shotguns with removable chokes."

It is estimated there are 1.5 - 2 million of the common hunting firearms in Canada.

As well, many large bore hunting rifles - some over 100 years old and valued over $100,000 have become prohibited. None of these firearms are semi-automatic or "military style." They encompass common bolt-action rifles such as the .460 Weatherby, break-open single and double rifles. These firearms are captured because the powerful cartridges they shoot - designed to humanely dispatch the largest game animals. PURE hunting rifles.

CSAAA also advises retailers to stop sales of "large hunting calibre, non semi-automatic rifles such as the Weatherby Mark V .460 as these rifles exceed the 10,000 Joules energy restriction.

Despite open hunting seasons across much of Canada, lawful firearms owners should refrain from using 12-gauge or larger shotguns with removable chokes or large calibre rifles capable of exceeding the government's energy ceiling.

These firearms are PROHIBITED and may not be used or transported for any reason.

Intentional lies or incompetent mistakes? You decide.

The Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA) and the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association (CSAAA) demand the immediate withdrawal of the Liberal's flawed Order in Council and the resignation of Public Safety Minister, Bill Blair.

-30-​

Weatherby Mark V bolt action hunting rifle

As Captain Obvious, I feel I have to comment:

THESE PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!

Vicious, lying, arrogant, manipulative, anti-democratic idiots.

Last edited: