Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Bill Blair and Justin Trudeau are telling Canadians they are only banning "high powered" centrefire semi-automatic firearms that are not appropriate for hunting or sport shooting. The truth is the ban includes single shot shotguns, bolt-action rifles, .22 rimfire rifles, hunting rifles and even cannons. Apparently, this is what Government considers "military grade weapons".

I have to ask.............what's with the cannons? I cannot find so much as one death in Canada that was caused by a cannon. I also had no idea that there were so many of them out there they needed to be banned. Do you have to register a cannon?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The man shooting the scene on video — which was later posted on YouTube — can be heard expressing his amazement that the police didn't realize the woman posed no threat.
"Are you serious?," he said, as three officers handcuffed his employee, now lying face down on the ground. Whalen told CBC News the police appeared to continue with the takedown even after his employee had thrown the plastic gun to the ground. She was handcuffed while face-down on the pavement, which left her with a bloody nose, he said.
Oh, they realized it. They just celebrated another opportunity to dish out another beat-down.

The videographer has a charmingly naive view of police motivations.

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
The lieberals will be allowed to get away with whatever they want to do because of big mouth buffoons like you who do a lot of useless and stupid talking but will never get out there and do the walking you lazy beer spilling of a buffoon.

Hey, did you go bowling yet? Which ear and which finger did you use. Did you knock down at least one pin? Just wondering.

If you ever find a clear and logical thought............LET US KNOW!

We can all celebrate!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This from another site.............not me.

Interesting though.

Nothing like pollsters with an agenda.

I reached out to the Angus Reid Institute who conducted the poll where "80% of Canadians favoured a complete ban on Assault Weapons". I got in contact with the research director who ran the poll and got a copy of the survey the gave to their respondents.

Here is the link: http://angusreid.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2020.04.22_guns.pdf

Quite concretely, they define "Assault Weapons" as semi-automatic, but then in the next paragraph they define Assault Weapons in contrast to Long guns, which they define as "non-automatic firearms for sporting purposes". They also include that "Assault Weapons" are "designed for rapid fire" (false) and "hold lots of ammunition" (not true in Canada)

First, I think it's completely disingenuous to even use the term "Assault Weapon" in a poll of any academic rigor when it hasn't been able to be defined by the USA or Canada in decades of existence. And second, because it's a term specifically designed to elicit fear, and is completely rejected by the firearms community.

Regarding the survey, I think the results should be forced to be thrown out, frankly. Their definition of "assault weapon" is contradictory and straight up wrong based on ANY interpretation of what the term means. The research director himself admits he hopes he can run the survey again with a "true and fully accurate" definition of assault weapon.

Hopefully you can use this in response to anyone touting around that survey as support of this ban. What they are defining as "Assault Weapons" have already been banned in Canada.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
"Hopefully you can use this in response to anyone touting around that survey as support of this ban."

Certainly he can't use logic or reason.

Canadians are sick of violence.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
"Hopefully you can use this in response to anyone touting around that survey as support of this ban."

Certainly he can't use logic or reason.

Canadians are sick of violence.

none of my duck gins have caused violence and no matter how much you want to lie about it, you can't change that.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
A friend of mine points out that a non democratic government doesn't give a shit about a petition. Just like the registry,we will have to elect a new government to fix this. Sharpen your pencils and vote conservate in the next election.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
A friend of mine points out that a non democratic government doesn't give a shit about a petition. Just like the registry,we will have to elect a new government to fix this. Sharpen your pencils and vote conservate in the next election.
You never know. As far back as the 1980s, I used to be quite surprised (and amused) at how sensitive absolute dictatorships tended to be to reports from Amnesty International.

If anything, non-democratic governments care MORE about petitions. They represent dissent. In a democratic government, dissent is just Tuesday.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Here is the anti gun control argument: we cannot change the rules that do not work to prevent gun violence because the new rules might not prevent gun violence.

This is why there is such huge public support for change.

Things are bad and getting worse.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Here is the anti gun control argument: we cannot change the rules that do not work to prevent gun violence because the new rules might not prevent gun violence.
This is why there is such huge public support for change.
Things are bad and getting worse.
I've put up proposals for gun control that I think would help to reduce gun violence. You've never commented on them.

You want a total ban on all firearms in Canada, except for those in the hands of police and the military. You have no give, no motivation aside from that absolute position. You refuse to acknowledge problems in the effectiveness of any measure taken for the ostensible purpose of limiting guns.

Forfoxsake, just tell the truth for once.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I must hvae missed your suggestions, but I think I would support any measure that seemed prudent.

We live in the midst of "give". We understand that the "give" is not working. That is why the push for total gun bans is growing so strong.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
All the powers that be are definitely missing the main point about Gun control. I don't know how many times the idiots have to be told! It's NOT the guns you want to control. Can they not get that through their thick f**king heads? Law abiding, sensible gun owners do not pose a risk with guns. Criminals will NOT surrender guns. As there are about 4 billion guns on the continent and only a few million criminals, it would be much easier to gather up the criminals. NUFF SAID.